a most bittersweet $23,000.00

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheeljaxx, Apr 7, 2008.

1. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

well, as some of you may remember, my grandmother passed away a few days just before xmas, and i took it pretty rough.

well, today i received the last of my inheritance...

$23,170.66

i have investment plans, for $10,000.00 of it, i'm going to pay off all my utility bill debts, my visa debts, and put $2000 away for my Ireland trip in August. i'm buying a new Canon 5D SLR camera, and a few new lenses, and taking my girlfriend out to a very special, high end restauraunt. all these things My grandmother and i talked about while she was in the hospital, the restauraunt thing was her idea actually, and she knew i had always wanted to go to Ireland and how badly i needed a new Camera for work.

i've given myself a budget of $1000 for whatever comes up, rent for a slow month of photo work, and whatnot, but $500 is JUST for me, with NO regrets, no looking back, FREE RIDE money.....

i thought about buying toys, buying some commission sketches, buying some new wardrobe, getting a Tattoo, etc. i just can't make up my mind, because i want those no regrets. i'd like to spend it without that bittersweet taste in my mouth, but no matter what i think about buying, there's no getting around how i have that money in the first place, even though it's only $500 out of $23,000.00, i still feel that guilt.

Any suggestions on what i should do?

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Tuck as much of it away as you can as its nice to have rainy day money, sorry about your grandma it was a very nice gift to leave you.

3. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are most certainly going to have estate taxes if thats the gross inheritance amount, I'd call my cpa.

4. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

It's good idea to pay off debt...as for the rest, maybe you should spend it as your grandma would have liked to see you spend it ^_^

And put $1 on the lottery using some magic numbers...you will probably strike and then you can spend that as you wish~~~

5. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

That's a nice amount of money, put it into good use and make your life better :)  (Your grandma would like to see that too)

Investment is always a good option, you should also consider put some of those money into your retirement plan.

Buy the stuff which makes you happy, but don't overspent it.

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, spending THAT money on toys is uhm... It's a bit lame so I'd scratch that out, if it where me.

The camera sounds really darn important.

Really though, if you're having trouble spending the $500 you said would be your no regrets money, then that's the regret part. Hold on to it.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Buy some silver and gold. In 2 years, you'll be glad you did. Trust me.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I agree.

I'd say put at least some of the money to a charity of some sort. I'm not saying save 10 grand and put 13 grand in charity, but putting something to a good cause might help ease the regret.

You could always save the 10 grand and send every member here 43 cents. That'd be cool.

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

we don't have that in Canada. either way, it's a cashed in RRSP, so the taxes are already paid on it when it was cashed in, and putting BACK into an RRSP for myself gets me $300 back in taxes NEXT year for every $1000 i re-invest, so next tax season, i get $3000 back clear.

this is the last of my inheritence, so there were other things as well. I was also left 2 acres of land, worth over $13,000 and small other things like a tv, some new dishes etc.

all the investment plans have been made, and i'm taking care of my future, so thanx for the re-encouragement to do so, but that i'm not worried about anymore, and the plans like i listed above, its just that last $500 that is mine for whatever i still have a hard time thinking about.

i will be holding on to it for sure, as long as it takes, knowing that i have no other debts or worris. my grandmother did good at making sure i was taken care of.

it's just that BEFORE i actually got the check, i had no issues thinking about what to spend it on, now that i actually HAVE IT, it's bittersweet, and i feel guilty wanting to spend it like i had thought.

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Man you spend that money on whatever you want. Your Grandma would've wanted you to enjoy, no regrets.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wow lucky man, I wish my family cared about me enough to leave me inheritence. But I am the youngest of 6 so I doubt there will be anything left for me.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

if it makes you feel any better, after my grandfather died, my grandmother gave each of her kids a good chunk of cash since all the money had been left to her but she's pretty up there in years. my dad bought a pool for his backyard. i'm sure that cost him at least a little more than $500. that was 3 years ago and that pool has given him nothing but enjoyment ever since. honestly, sometimes when i see him in that pool i don't think i've ever seen him happier. it's been great for the whole family. everyone's time comes someday, so why regret anything?

13. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wierd timing! I'm in the same boat. I just got a $19,300 check from my grandmothers estate (took a year to settle the estate). It's nice knowing BotCon is paid for, and Im thinking of finally getting that shiny new iMac i've been eyeing for months. Gonna save as much as I can, but i'm gonna spend a nice chunck of it, since my other part of the estate is 1/6th of her house (which on the low end will get me about 70k). But that wont come for little while, since we've decided this is DEFINATELY not the time to sell it.

Like others have said, dont feel guilty spending it. When I mentioned my inheritance at work to a few of the girls I work with one of them said "I'm gonna spend all my money before I die, since I earned it." Be greatful (as I am) that you had family generous enough to at least think of you, and leave you something to have some fun with.

14. BetaSword

BetaSword Well-Known Member

Well, since i hate needles, i would say NO TATOO.
    Toys, yeah, well , since it's a Transformers-Related Board, I'd like to say yes.
    And well, since i'm having a Wii, i recommend that Console, if you#re into Videogames, there are alot thet can give you much fun, and probably are addicting, like WiiSports Bowling.
    And also you should be able to view digital photos on your Wii, using an SD-Card(i think the max-Limit is 2GB, but i could be wrong)

but whoa, your Collection is 1500+, I'm actually not even a bit near that. - Welll the stores here in Germany aren't also that big on Transformers, same goes for the TV-Channels(Armada was only around 1st and 4thQuarter only, Cybertron was only up to Ep26 shown here).

Well, whatever you'll do, your good Grandmother wished you to be happy, and I think, you should do whatever you like the most.

15. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Your grandma sounds like a awesome lady. I'd say get a little tattoo to remember her buy. Maybe not $500 worth of ink but something simple might be nice.

16. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Money received as a result of inheritance, much like lottery winnings, are not taxed in Canada.

wheeljaxx, why not buy something (with the remaining $500) that will serve as a reminder to your grandmother as well?

17. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to agree with Shipwreck. Get something that would make you think of her, good memories, and have it somewhere on you where you can see it often.

My Grandmothers died a year apart, so I feel your pain. Take care man, and sorry for your loss.

18. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

funny, i actually already got a tattoo to remember BOTH my grandparents in february. I got a celtic knotwork tree of life on my arm. i'm going to add to it eventually to add 5 stars around the perimeter to represent the 5 immediate members of my family.

I think my GM knew last year was her last, she paid for my entire botcon trip to Providence last year, i had to only pay for the registration. she said it was my Xmas present.... and she never made it that long, so that trip will never be forgotten as long as i live, not to mention it was one awsome my first) Botcon.

i've been thinking, and i just might go around to the tim hortons down the street, and the Mcdonalds, and buy some food and coffee gift cards and give them out to a few of the homeless downtown. i never give them money, because i know they will spend it on booze, or drugs, this way, they will be forced to buy a meal or a hot coffee. like, $50 worth maybe. spread some good karma.

the other $450 i'll sit on, i won't buy more toys, i don't need anything right now anyway, and it's a poor excuse to buy something you don't really want just because you can afford it. I'll wait till my G.I Joe pre-orders are in and pay for those in July.

i probably should get my eyes tested again and head to the dentist. It's been about 3 years for both, and its pretty practical as a photographer to have my eyes tested, LOL

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sorry about your gramps man.

20. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Save that money up in a high interest CD, you're gonna need it come Transformer 2 toys come out