A more mature Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gnaw, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Thinking about this today, and wondered what you guys would say. Up to this point, all mainstream Transformer's media (comics, cartoon, games) have all been...well, PG. The only thing that has come close to violant was the Movie, where Optimus, Wheeljack, Windcharager and some other TF's died. I get it that 60% of the fanbase or so is children. But what about the other 40%? Are the older fans entitled to some more intense, more violant Transformers? Or is Transformers doomed to be rated T for Teen.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm thinking the movie coming out this year will help. It's more mature and action packed than anything we've seen before. Plus it's more realistic than previous TF's.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't think it's necessary to have an R rated version of TransFormers, and I'd hardly call a teen-oriented rating "doomed". However, if it makes you feel better, the comics have always had an abundance of character death since the Marvel days, and Megatron squished a human with his hand in the Dreamwave comics.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yep, that's what the movie is for.

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Well, I was exicted when they stated that a scene in the Movie was rated R, but they did something to make it PG or something. I think it will be good to kick off a more adult oriented Transformers. But like most giant robot or creature movies, they usually don't show Human causalities. I often wonder "If he just crashed through that building wouldn't there be like, alot of dead people on the ground, not just rubble".

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd say damn near 95% of the actual fanbase is over 18. But 90% of Hasbro's profit come from toys purchased for kids under 14 or so.

And yeah, flamepanther's right. Hasbro lets us have a little more maturiy in the one medium that's not targeted towards kids--the comics. Whether or not you like them beyond that is another issue.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not a scene, the whole movie almost landed an R rating, for the intense violence, but Steven talked the rating people down to PG13.

8. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I love the comics. I have most of them. But, I don't think they're THAT mature. Infiltartion and Escalation were alright. No major violance. Hearts of Steel, Infiltration, Escalation, even Stormbringer haven't been that...violant. Now, I am not saying that I want to see TF's blow up everywhere, scream in pain and have gory battle scenes. I would just like to see one death. Usually when giant robots shoot at eachother with laseres and explosives, they don't...survive. This is most true in the cartoon series, where they just fall over or stop moving for awhile, like they are paralysed.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ehh...fair enough. DW had Superion and Wheeljack (well, sorta) die. But yeah, not a lot of death. I always justified as TFs being some of the toughest things in the universe--anybody mutable enough to transform should be able to survive quite a bit.

But hell, this is the case with almost any property with established characters. I mean, who's counting on the Captain not coming back sooner or later?

10. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

True. I saw this also as a major fault in Gundam Wing. One of those suits could take on a whole base by themselves, and hardly get scratched. When 100 Leo's and a bunch of Aries are shooting the crap at a MS, you'd think it'd go down. Nope.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think we're at a point where a good balance has been struck in the various media related to the franchise. My friend's kids (between 7-10) LOVED the Energon and Cybertron shows, while the adult fanbase was pretty ho-hum on them. On the other hand, I can't imagine either of those kids sitting down and enjoying reading the Stormbringer series, which for me was one of the best reads I've had in a long time.

Creating something for everyone = key to success = $$$

12. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I'm not a big comics fan, but I think Beast Wars was a pretty mature view of death in Transformers fiction. First, the CR chambers meant that we could see TFs damaged temporarily. This made the fights more satisfying than some later examples of bots standing 20 ft apart and continuously missing each other.

I think it also set up the character deaths quite well. It was clear that by stopping the fight that they could be saved, so that accentuated the sacrifice they were making. Finally, with the exception of Scorponok and Terrorsaur (victims of a new toy wave), the deaths made sense in the context of the character's background and motivation; it didn't feel violent for the sake of being violent.

13. RoboRic

RoboRic Banned

Would you rather everything dies in an explosion of blood and gore?:yuck 

I think if everyone got killed all the time, no one would like it that much. (couchtransformersanimatedmoviecough).:eek: 

14. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Based on what I've heard, you'll be pretty pleased with the amount of 'bot death in the TF movie (I haven't read the scripts, but I've gotten a general idea...) if that's what you're looking for.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    All things considered, comparitively speaking, I'd say Dreamwave's Generation1 & War Within series were directed at an older and more mature audience moreso than any previous or post TF comics have been. It wasn't done so much in the sense of outright violence, but in the way they were drawn and written. Don's art very much has a "grown-up" feel to it in particular - where the TF's are depicted as the millions of year old war torn machines they are. And much of Furman's work (for Dreamwave) was light years beyond what most kids could ever comprehend.

And that's all exactly what got me back into the comics in the first place, and what made me decide not to follow the IDW versions - they simply looked too kiddy (ala Marvel) all over again.

16. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Death isn't what i mean. It's hard to describe. Maybe the word serious should be used. I can't take the cartoons serious, because they're not realistic. When giant machines fight eachother on a human planet, usually there's more realism in terms of destruction. Maybe I looking for a more Terminator in TF"s. We never see the generic bots getting killed, or hit etc. Because the show is based on story driven or main chasracters, you never see any of them take a hit or explode.

17. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Again, in the movie, you'll definitely be seeing main character 'bots getting hit/damaged/destroyed (I don't know which ones or how many, though).

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not surprisingly, one person's idea of what makes something 'Mature' is very different from another's. If death tolls are a benchmark, go check out the Marvel G2 comic. It was a freakin' massacre.

Overall, I'd say almost every TF cartoon series after G1 were less scared of the idea of robot death, in that at least one character dies in a 'meaningful' way. That's more a matter of the climate of childrens' programming changing than the shows being written with an older audience in mind though. Personally, I think shows like BW which show it's possible to appeal to adults and kids, simply by not underestimating or talking down to the audience.

As others said, the movie is going to be the thing not really made for kids, though I'm sure they're not gonna kick 'em out, if only 'cause they need an outlet for all those damn toys. :) 

19. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I personally don't want to see something TOO mature because relentless violence only gets you so far, and given they're aliens they've got no room for foul language, and since they're genderless robots, theres no room for sexual situations. I'd say this franchise stays at its all ages level because the concept doesn't lend itself to anything that bad.

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Well, what Hasbro is doing with this movie (assuming its sucessful) is hoping that it will allow TF to be taken more seriously by the general population, as well as elevate it beyond just being solely a toyline franchise. They want to it be like a scifi property.

Maybe then you'll see TF cartoons and tv shows that are made to tell stories, not flog toys. But that's a long way off, if ever.

*waits for my dream of an Earth Defense Command tv series or comic*