Minor/Repaint: a more G1 Grapple...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Mar 29, 2011.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have to say, I LOVE the Classics Inferno/Grapple mold. It's a great homage to the originals and a nice sculpt all around.

However there was still something missing for me when I first got my Inferno... the headsculpt was really nice, but somehow not as nice as the original (one of the best Diaclone heads), something about the proportions felt off next to my other deluxe Autobots, and I really missed the signature "collar" that Inferno and Grapple had, with their ladder/crane on their backs.

So I finally got around to doing something about it. I showed a WIP mock-up image of Inferno quite some time ago, but now that I have both of the original G1 "truck brothers", as well as some junker G1 parts, I decided to finally get to it.

[​IMG]

- swapped RTS head with G1 head... surprisingly easy!
    - attached RTS Crane to G1 turret... also way easy.
    - attached hinged swing arm for G1 crane turret to the panel on the back of RTS Grapple
    - slightly modified a G1 Snarl rifle so it fits in his hands... barely

This is one of my favourite types of custom jobs... a DRY one. No epoxy, no paint, no dremel used (though it probably would have made things faster). It's almost finished (practically a first for me! :D ) but I just want to add some kind of plug or clip to make the crane a bit more secure against Grapple's back, and I haven't glued the striped panels down yet in case I still want to disassemble the crane turret for something.

Inferno will probably show up in a week or so, with more or less the same type of conversion.

zmog

Attached Files:

2. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Holy CRAP!!

Dude, you have to do a how-to. Even if it is easy. ESPECIALLY if it's easy! :D 

Looks really good. I'll hopefully be doing this to my own when I get him :) 

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I like what you've done to him. However I think the head looks too small for his body.

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    DO WANT!... :D  perfect... if only I could find an Inferno & Grapple *sigh*

5. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I don't know whether I'd swap the head but the crane arm definitely looks better hanging off his back.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like everything you've done here. :thumb 

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Seconded. i would really like to see how you've done this.

8. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

I agree with Jersey D, TUTORIAL PLEASE!

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    and I agree with you :D 

10. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is amazing :D  great job!
    now his arm is free, looks much better!

11. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    To quote Kup from the 1986 movie, "All things considered, you did an amazing job lad."

12. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Wow. This is a total win. It adds significantly to the play value and makes perfect sense from both the realistice point of view and the G1 point of view. Plus it's practically "plug and play". Well done sir! Very well done!

13. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with all of you! TUTORIAL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great work. Although the head may seem a little small, it does add to the bulkiness of him, and makes him look bigger. I like it.

15. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

That is really awesome, I considered doing this to Inferno when I first got it, just couldn't bring myself to do it though lol. I do have to agree with one of the earlier comments, the head is a teeny bit too small, but it still works here. A tutorial would be pretty cool....

16. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Wow! I love it! Need to go hunt down a G1 Grapple and Inferno now!

Tutorial please!

17. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

Agreed. great idea though.

18. SMOG

Thanks for all the kind words guys!! I'm mostly happy with this piece so far, though there are still a few little things to address.

It seems like a LOT of people are asking for a tutorial! As long as nobody minds a post-mortem examination of the steps, I think I can do that... though I'm fairly certain someone will find some more elegant solutions than mine.

As I said, there are still a couple of little things I'd like to fix up. But then, if anyone comes up with some better solutions, I'll be the first one to rejoice! :D 

So, do I start a separate thread, or just start uploading tutorial pics here?

Or in this case... 2 Infernos and 2 Grapples (Classics & G1). Grapple at least should start showing up soon... he's in both RTS Voyager waves, so there's still hope.

Haha! I said easy, but I WISH it was as simple as "plug and play". I'm always on the lookout for those plug and play mods, where everything just magically fits as if it was meant to be... hardly ever happens. This mod does have some wonderfully serendipitous coincidences though...

Exactly, that's what I was going for. This does give him a "tiny head" look, but I find it's still within acceptable japanese robot style conventions... and it seems to look better in-hand, than in the pictures, but that might just be a delusion. :) 

Inferno's G1 bio mentions how awkward and slow he is as a robot, so makes sense that he and Grapple would look bulked out like this. I wanted to give him a head that was roughly in the same scale as the other Deluxe Classic Autobots, but a big, bulky body. I find he "fits" with them now, rather than just looking off-scale somehow. This is mostly because the original RTS head is really too big... makes him look sort of like a big square baby. It's a bit larger than Classic Inferno's head even.

I didn't snap a picture of it, but he actually looks pretty good with just the G1 head, without the "collar" assembly. It still works with his pop-up head transformation too. :) 

Thanks guys!

zmog

19. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Yes, I agree. I like these types of customs with no paint. Very clean looking.

20. SMOG

Tell me about it! :D 

Though I should mention that the G1 Grapple I used is a slightly more vibrant orange shade than the RTS Grapple, so the crane turret itself is slightly unmatched. Because it's just one small area, it's not so noticeable (depends on the light I guess). Looks okay in the pictures, but it might match better if I left it in the sun for a day. :) 

zmog