A moment of sanity

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So with all the stuff going around with the FE/RiD line, I just wanted to share a little story that is a moment of sanity.

Today, my son came in my office like he normally does, and I had Metroplex transformed into City mode for the first time. He got really excited when he saw it and we began to play. I had a Big Lots KO G2 Devy and a Defensor next to him. So he was asking, "What do those change into daddy".

So I started taking Devastator apart. To my surprise, he starts naming the construction vechicles. "That's a mixer daddy. That's a dump truck. Yay, a bulldozer". I guess he saw these at day care or with Bob the Builder. But all the sudden I take apart Defensor and he see's that Hot Spot turns into a firetruck and he lost it. "Daddy a Firetruck!!! I love Firetrucks daddy". We played for like 2 hours with KO figures.

It's just a moment of Sanity really. I have to say, playing TFers with your kids can put the hobby really into focus for you.

First off, I am becoming more and more of a G1 fan by the day. I think my play session with my son put it over the top. There is something great about just being to quickly transform Bonecrusher from Alt mode to bot mode and back in three seconds. Just makes playing fun. It is actually playing, not waiting to Transform anything. Also, at no point did my son not realize what the toys he was playing with were. He never said "Daddy, this is a brick. Where is the articulation?" I think the older we get the more we forget that we loved these toys for their Alt modes, and not really their Bot modes. The Bot modes were cool, but we were more obsessed by the fact a fire engine turned into a robot, then the robot itself. Something lost on us today I feel.

On the second hand. I do have to say, that while I may be a baby now bitching that FE line is cancelled. I could see being a full on rage monster if FE was cancelled and my sons favorite character was Bulkhead. I think this is also something that is lost. Kids want these figures as much as we do. So imagine having a kid who watches prime. Then they see the toy and Mommy and Daddy say, it'll be out soon, then they have to tell them that is not coming out for a long time because some bad business people made bad decisions. Kinda sad really. Luckily, I don't let my son watch Transformers yet, even though he loved one episode he saw of season 1. I just think they are too violent for almost a 3 year old. But once he does, man, I worry about this type of stuff and me letting down my son. I feel bad for peeps who pay $70 to buy Bulkhead because they promised their children that toy for their Birthday and Hasbro just cancelled it.

Lastly, for those who bash KO's, I gotta say, there is something nice about letting my son go buck wild on my TFers without thinking, "Oh shit, that is like $200!".

Kinda funny how an almost 3 year old can give you a moment of clarity and sanity.

2. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed on many points.

As to the KO topic, my position has always been that as long as the KO (and accessories) are easily distinguishable from the originals, I'm cool with it. I myself owned one of those biglots G2 devastators as an office decoration.

3. Megatron1

Megatron1 Decepticon LEADER

Awww. That's SO cute.

4. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Your "first hand" is a nice moment of sanity.

Your "second hand" is you continuing with your trantrum (now into its fifth thread?), with the added bonus of justifying it via your son.

If Hasbro blew up in a nuclear mushroom cloud today, we all should be able to gracefully go on with our lives. It is, at the end of the day, toys. Fun, collectable toys, but toys none the less.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    For the second hand, people do really do that stuff for their kids. I know you feel that way, but I remember when I was collecting SW toys, a parent was looking for that years must get toy. I forget what it was. I think Furbie, but I forget now.

I saw one and got it for the parent. He thanked me endlessly. Said I saved him like $100. Trust me if you have a kid and birthday or Christmas comes up, and you have the money, you will pay scalped prices to make your kid happy. If you don't have the money, the kid is disappointed and you are upset. I have lived on both sides of that equation.

Not sure if your a parent, but you would know this if you were. And don't say I justify anything with my son. You don't know me. I will take responsibility for my actions. I am not using my son as a tool of anything. So back off on that end.

6. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

My 4 yr.old son loves Rescue Bots. Especially the fire truck and Bumblebee.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep in mind though that while I am sure most are okay, KO toys do not have the same safety standards as the real deal. I would be worried about things like lead paint.

8. stepsongrapes

I am a parent. I know what you describe is bad parenting. It is not good parenting to allow your kid to be crushed by not having one very specific toy by a very specific date. It's not good parenting to allow your kid to set unreasonable expectations.

Again, you can justify this all you want by saying it is about the kids (yours or some fictional "other" kid that you're talking about). YOU are the one throwing the tantrums.

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, those did not go in his mouth at all. I actually lucked out. He never puts anything in his mouth.

I wonder if Big Lots would have a policy against that? Humm. I better check that.

Also, I kinda wonder if Lead Paint is still the cheaper alternative now a days with so many companies not using lead paint.

Just so you know, I personally don't like to let my son down. If I say I will be at an event, I will be there. If I say I will get him something, I will do it. Doesn't mean, I get him everything and agree to everything. It means if I say something, I do it. It's called being a man and a Parent.

You got a lot of balls calling someone a bad parent when you don't know them or their parenting style. So maybe you need to STFU and learn some manners. Maybe your parents did a bad job on you. I see all your posts and they seem to be bitching about other people bitching. Hate to tell you, your as useless of a tool as the person bitching. Just saying.

Clear Enough?

10. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thank you for putting our TF passion into perspective. There's collecting for the sake of collecting, and then there's playing and doing it for the love of it. I just spent a good hour earlier today just mucking around with some EZ/Legends and PCC combiner figures. And it was fun.

At no point did I think, man, I think I'll turn around and hoc these for scalper prices on evilBay and gets me some moar monies from desperate collectors! Nope, just plain ol' appreciating figures for what they are and the beloved characters they represent (OK, that and seeing what kind of monsters I can frankenstein together with said PCC combiners; neat little figures XD).

Great story, Alucard, and cheers to you and your son!

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Gotta say that EZ collection is also one of mine and my sons favorites. Those things are great. It's an aweome sub line and fun to play with. G1 kind of modernized, but not really. Really top grade.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Fuck this shit.

I personally just had a very bad day with etting into a fight with my own mom, who outright accuses my wife.... never mind.

Sometimes we do the best we can with what we have to work with. To quote the big mouth, some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue.

Alucard, glad you had a good time with your kid. Cherish it.

13. stepsongrapes

You know what you get judged by on a message board? Your posts. Period.

You titled this thread as "a moment of sanity". And yet, you can't finish one post with out going back on your whine-fest about the FE line.

Your persona on these boards come solely from the posts you write. And what those posts show is that you're throwing a long, drawn-out temper tantrum. You're being a man-boy. You're justifying every stereotype of adult toy collectors.

You can claim to be other than what your posts convey away from the keyboard. You may even be all the things you claim. But on a board, you are what you write. And what you've chosen to write is nothing more than a tantrum.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yup... been there with the mom/wife thing. Sorry to hear that, things get better over time. Or at least you hope they do.

But kids make you forget all the BS. That's why they are great. Playing with my son is always the best part of the day. Even when it is putting together that Thomas Train set for the 4000 time. LOL.

Sorry this thread took a detour. It was supposed to be more feel good, take a step back and just realize what it is all about.

That's really great and I am not being drawn into some bashing session back and forth with you. This thread really isn't about that and you seem to be the only one having an issue here with this, so please move on.

I rather hear about other parents enjoyable moments with their kids.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Look where you are at: I made an innocent enough thread about whether or not people were gonna pay 15$ for Prime right now, or wait till they get cheaper... and look at the maelstrom that turned into.

You just can't post anything without getting assaulted. People suck. That's all there is to it.

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I feel you Alucard. and from outer discussions,I know you're no bad parent. no matter what some stranger on the internet who thinks he's got the inside scoop on youir life thinks.

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Hahah, thanks. TBH, the only person that I really care if they think I am bad parent or not is my wife and my son in like 20 years or so.

How is the DJing coming along?

18. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's time with my son that's help pull me back into transformers deep. For us it's the Cyberverse lines. He just has so much fun with the alt modes.

19. starman72

starman72 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i was just playing with my boys and my one battlecharger and my jumpstarters. they're so fascinated by the fact they change into robots that they don't care that there's virtually no poseability. that's something a lot of people on here definitely have forgotten- for kids, a robot that folds in half to be a -whatever- is amazing.

and, yeah, my five year old loves my old metroplex so much he wants one of his own.