Customs: a mold making thought

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Feb 24, 2011.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hey guys, so my friend and I are sitting here right now thinking, instead of using the super expensive alumilite (or any other brands) mold making materials, could you use a thinned down water based silicone caulk?? I don't have a real clue as to IF this would work, so I thought I would bring it to the pro's for conversation. Let me know what you think, because I am thinking I might try this over the weekend.

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Wouldn't work, well wouldn't work with how you are wanting to do it.

I'll see if I can dig the formula up, but there is a way to use normal silicone caulk and something else to make it cure, to make small molds with.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you need 100 percent silicone caulk NOT watered down. It'd be the stuff that has two tubes that meet in one spot. It's not as detailed as smooth on can get and cost roughly the same.

You can get abs resin, though, at auto stores. Way cheap too. It's used for boat repair. Vinyl designer toy forums are a wealth of knowledge on casting and DIY low cost methods that TF customizers have barely touched the iceberg on.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hm, thanks guys, I didn't take into account of the curing of the caulk. Thanks guys.

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

OP83:

A long time ago, I made some simple rubber molds out of GE "Silicone I" kitchen & bathtub silicone. I cast a few small autos and other details in this for my model railroad, using Durham's water putty or plaster. Silicone bathtub caulking actually is an RTV rubber, but it's thicker, and premixed, and its cure is catalyzed by moisture in the air. That's why the inner layers take a long time to cure.

To speed it up, people mix in a few drops of glycerine. You can buy a bottle of it at the drugstore.

I just made my molds pretty thin, and waited forever. They weren't the best molds, but they were usually about as good as my patterns. :) 

Reference:

Using Silicone Caulk as a Mold Material - Hypertufa Forum - GardenWeb

It can be done, although the bathtub caulking is thicker than the liquid RTV. You might be able to find a cheaper supplier for 2-part RTV, if you look around online.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oooooooooooooooooooo, sounds good mane, thanks a bunch :) 

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Someone somewhere on the boards mentioned a hot glue gun. Said you could rub some vaseline on the part, then just squirt hot glue gun glue on it. After it dries, the petroleum jelly keeps it from being stuck to the part. Pull it out and you've got a mold. Not sure how well it captures detail or how long it will last, but I've gotta buy a hot glue gun now.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It captures detail very well; I've used it several times. You don't really need to use petroleum jelly unless the part is porous; the glue is flexible once it sets, so you can work it loose by flexing it.

On the whole, I would say it's probably better for casting details (like faces and insignias etc) than whole parts, but it's worth experimenting with.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Liiiiiike maybe using it to make a mold for door windows? :) 

10. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Ok time to go buy a glue gun ^_^!

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got a glue gun already! might have to give that a try :D 

12. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Color me intriqued... about the abs resin I mean.

Where are these forums? A quick google search didn't reveal what I think you are referring to :) 

13. gestalt

gestalt Well-Known Member

14. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was on a designer toy forum, I'm thinking kid robot. Anywho I went into autozone shortly there after and found the stuff. Comes in container like turpentine comes in and is used for fiberglass boat and car repair.

It works with a liquid sustainer that evaporates in the air leaving the plastic behind to solidify.

If I remember next time I am out I'll look for the name. I never bothered getting it because I wasn't ready at the time. It amazes me how much a target market changes the price of something though.