A Megatron Shipped in Robot Mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MisterFanwank, Nov 16, 2011.

1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I understand that to pass customs, imported G1-ish Megatron figures have to have an orange cap put on his barrel.

Well, for gun mode I understand that. But what if he's packaged in robot mode? Is that gambling customs will be lazy, or will that pass? Because it is not a gun or anything gun shaped that is being sent, it is a robot that does not look like a gun.

If it will not pass, why not? Does that mean all lego kits need orange plugs included due to the off chance a convinving gun shape could be made? Where is the line drawn for when it is safe to send something MISB that has the potential to look like a convincing gun without a plug?

I've been curious about this for a long time.

2. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently ordered the reissue mp megatron from robot kingdom, and I had no problems with customs even though it doesn't have the orange plug. Also it probably helps that he's packaged in robot mode already.

3. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    MP Megs is packaged in robot mode but, I guess since the packaging depicts him in both, they open and apply the cap.

4. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    @Igniz: I wonder if his size had anything to do with it passing? Would G1 Megatron pass the same way?

5. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have no idea, but I was a little worried that they would open the box, and see what it is. Then they would probably send it back to the shipper, but I guess I got lucky when my box went through inspection. I have read that a lot of people who purchased mp megs from robot kingdom, didn't have too many problems getting there's through without the plug.

6. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Hm. It'd be nice if someone who knew more about customs could post in this thread.

7. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    Maybe next time put "Customs Expert Needed" as a thread title.

8. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Then people would assume that this thread belongs in Radicons.

9. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    "Toy Importing Experts Needed Within", how's that?

10. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    I could just PM Sidecutter. That's his name right?

11. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    ToyArena owner? Yeah that's him. Sorry I couldn't be of any use.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
  13. Optimus Bruce

Optimus Bruce Human Germ

I work for a freight company in the uk, but it's all pretty much the same.

Everything will be xrayed and if no weapon shapes show up, and the accompanying paperwork doesnt say something that gives away it can form a gun likeness, it will pass through and onward to its destination untouched.

Every now and again random checks are done, but you would have to be very unlucky to be snagged by one of these.

The goods are shipped in external boxes, and are never opened by customs or anybody unless there is a problem with the box/docs/X-ray or random check.

If a customs officer was to select your box and upon viewing the handgun mode on the TT packaging, further investigation would be warranted.

Customs can seize and destroy the goods, send them back to origin (at consignees expense + fine) or contact the consignee for further info before deciding how to proceed.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Customs aren't stupid. They'll know if it turns into a gun. And it's not really custosm as simple saftey reasons.

15. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    I'm asusming you're in the U.S, in which case it will probably pass.

If you were going to PM Sidecutter WRT buying one from Captured Prey, right now the site indicates they don't have any available.

16. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In robot mode, you'll probably be fine. For example, I had no trouble importing MP-5 figures either time without the cap (well, there was grief from one supplier, but I got around that with a two-leg shipment). Nevermind that MP5 would be a pretty comically oversized handgun and hard to take seriously if someone tried to hold one in a threatening manner.

But really as a private citizen shipping just one figure, your odds of being nailed are insanely low. It would be a lot like the house letting you gamble with loaded dice. Sure, you COULD land on the wrong numbers, but it would be highly unlikely you would. To get in trouble, you'd have to A) have the package opened in the first place and B) have the agent recognize what it is, see a package picture, that sort of thing. The odds your package would even be opened are really low.

17. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    This is the exact same way I got my Microchange Browning through Aussie Customs...

If I were you, I'd definitely give it a shot. If this is the best way of getting it through customs, Why not take the chance?

18. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Yup: exact same thing for me with a loose, complete Microman Browning: I asked the seller to at least partly change him to robot mode, just in case. No problems whatsoever getting it sent from the USA to Europe.

19. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hilariously, I got my TFC 06 Megatron through Australian Customs, no blaze orange cap and in gun mode (I meant to put it in robot mode, but i'd only moved one or two parts, still looked like a gun). It wasn't customs' finest hour, that's for sure. I even put him in the same bag as all the stock, silencer and scope parts (which may have helped, I guess, as those parts don't look very realistic).

Also, Black Sheep, when I was buying my TFC Megs, I deliberately bought it over the MP one because TFC Megs is legal in Australia, but the MP one is outlawed (regardless if it has a blaze orange cap or not). Yes, the oversized MP, which is too big to pass as an actual handgun is illegal, but the TFC one, which is actual handgun size, is perfectly legal (at least when I bought it, and afaik that can't retroactively apply those laws, so my Megs should be safe).

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've ordered the MP Megatron from TFSource last Spring and it arrived in robot mode. No problems coming through customs.

At first I was going to order one from BBTS until they stated about the orange cap.