A major problem buyer/bidder...how to deal with this?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by edicius, Jul 26, 2011.

1. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm having a bit of an issue with an eBay bidder at present. The main violation for which I could is his wanting me to end a set of auctions solely for his benefit ("Can you end the bidding for those item so that you can calculate the weight of it?"), but that's ultimately just a part of a large problem I'm having with him.

He had won a batch of auctions from me and being an international bidder, knew that shipping could get pricey the more items he bought, even when I combined shipping on all of them. He proceeded to complain about the shipping costs after being invoiced (despite the fact that they were calculated by weight and size of shipping boxes and I had warned him previously that the more he bid on, the heavier it was getting) and went on and on about how he had a "budget". I agreed to cut him a break on the shipping - at an loss of $30+ to me (on total sales of ~$300). At that point, I thought everything was resolved. I received another message from him that he could pay immediately, but not the full shipping cost for at least another five days and was expecting me to cut him ANOTHER $30 break. I told him no more breaks, we had agreed on the shipping, etc.

Now he is bidding on MORE items of mine (the aforementioned ones that he requested I end early for his benefit...what happened to his alleged "budget") and requesting that I just squeeze them into the boxes with the previously won auctions - with no additional shipping charges, despite the fact that weight AND dimensions would be significantly increased, causing me even MORE money lost (to give you an idea, he wants me to "just squeeze in" guys like Optimal Optimus, Cybertron Jetfire and Cybertron Scourge).

What I would LIKE to do is cancel his current bids and add him to my blocked bidders list along with canceling the sales on the auctions he has already won (and not yet paid for), but I'm uncertain of how I can do that without running into an eBay policy violation of my own.

Any advice on how to deal with a real annoyance like this?

2. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait a second, so he hasn't even paid for the items he won and he's bidding on more? Plus he is demanding you cut him a total of $60 in shipping charges?!?

My man tell this guy to sit on a rusty pole and rotate! In all seriousness you should just tell him that shipping is HIS responsibility. If he can't hold up to his end of the contract that a bid on eBay is than you need to let him know you'll relist everything he won. He'll have the ability to leave negative feedback, but you'll be able file a strike against him for not paying.

As far as ending auctions early... It's my opinion that if there are no bidders than go ahead and work out a BIN price. For the guy you're dealing with though, f*** him.

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds a lot like a guy I had to deal with years ago. He was international, bid on everything I was selling (Star Wars figures), then wanted discounts because he was "on a budget." I took losses, but he wouldn't go away. Eventually he started bidding on every auction I listed just so he could leave me negative feedback, complaining about shipping times, costs and quality. It got to the point where he would leave the feedback immediately after the auctions' end, just trying to ruin me (I was a new seller at that point). I had to report him to eBay, ultimately, and I think he got banned. It's all-around unpleasant, though. I still get an ill feeling thinking about all those Star Wars toys I sent him. Good luck.

4. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Cancel his bids and then add him to your blacklist. And then please let me know who he is as well so I can add him to mine.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sounds like a clever negotiator. I'd love to pick his brain.

6. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's why I'm actually HOPING he waffles on paying in a timely fashion. I think the earliest I can submit an unpaid item case is tomorrow evening. I'd love to do the whole "Cancel the sale" option on eBay, but I can't unilaterally do that - the other person needs to concur. I understand why that is the way it is, but it sucks in cases like this. I did already do the whole, "Look, if you can't pay the shipping, I'm relisting everything," and I think that put some fear in him...but clearly not enough.

7. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do not see how it is a policy violation on your part to ban him from further auctions if he is trying to negotiate costs that were clearly stated after he won the auctions and he has not paid for them

8. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, it's times like this that I reeeeeeeeally hate that I'm a nice guy. :lol :

But as of right now, he's on my blocked bidders list. My plan is to file an unpaid item case as soon as I can (tomorrow) and from there, cancel his other bids with the reasoning of "Member has not paid for $300+ worth of merchandise from previous auctions". I feel kind of douchey doing that, but then I remind myself how HE'S been acting.

9. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    You oughta cancel his bids and then use the reason "because I don't support Al Queda" - let anyone who reads that stuff chew on THAT for awhile! ;) 

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you haven't already, keep all communications you've had with him. If anything that happens against you, you can always contact e-bay and show them proof that this guy was dicking around with you. Though I'm not a seller on ebay, I wouldn't have been so nice to lose money on shipping like that....especially overseas. People tend to forget that YOU have to pay fees just for selling and then when you use paypal on top of that, a portion of what they pay you, goes to paypal. *shakes my damned head*.......

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sounds like you are doing the right thing, here. You are doing him a favor by giving him a break for shipping and unfortunately some people just try to keep pulling and pulling to see what they can get.

12. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    here is how you deal with him...at day 4 on all the auctions..start the non pay bid process...and four days later(soonest you can close a case) he gets 3 NPB strikes and he is GONE.

the relist your items and try to stay away from those international fuck twits that want shit mailed for the cost of a comic book.

13. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel for you, OP...

I am an international e-Bay buyer myself (living in Europe, it's tough finding new Transformers at retail), but I always realize that e-Bay's rules have become crappier and crappier for sellers. Even as a buyer, I'm surprised sellers aren't able to leave negative feedback for buyers anymore. I always make sure to be a good buyer, checking out what is offered, checking shipping costs, and, after an item is won, making sure communication is good and my payment is FAST (proud to say it's the feedback comment I almost always receive).

I also hate, HATE, HATE the fact that international sellers like the one you are having to deal with are causing sellers to stop making their items available to international buyers. I often see great deals (considering the current $ to € exchange rate), which I can't bid on, due to the seller only shipping within US. Understandable from a seller's POV, and sometimes a post can change a seller's mind, but still very annoying.

(Dumb thing is, the time I was actually ripped off by an eBay seller (over headphones, not a TF), it took ages and ages for PayPal to finally resolve the case, WAY past their own deadlines for closing a case, and costing me two extra phone calls to PayPal. This while I have only ever received positive buyers feedback).

14. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you don't mind saying, what country is this buyer in?

15. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Malaysia. I actually had issues with another buyer in Malaysia (again, over shipping costs), but thankfully, he eventually wised up and relented when he realized that I wasn't trying to screw him with shipping.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  I think I know that guy

17. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Malaysia...Minnesota...SONUVA...!