A lot of unexpected redos in Toy Fair lineup.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bumblethumper, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    One thing that struck me looking through the Toy Fair pics is just how many figures are being redone in size classes where they already have figures.

I didn't notice this at first. Many of them are easily overlooked. You just assume they're some slight repaint of existing figures, but then on closer inspection it seems they are not. It's hard to understand the demand for these.

The new Voyager Prime looks very similar to the Leader, though the shoulders and a few other details look different to me. It may even be more accurate than the Leader, given they don't have the handicap of incorporating batteries, wires and a voicebox. I have to wonder if Takara's Jetfire parts will be compatible with this new mold. Seems very strange to design them for the old voyager, and at the same time develop a new mold.

[​IMG]

Totally unexpected that movie Bumblebee would get a third deluxe mold. And if you look closely, it appears to be pretty much a completely new mold. It actually looks pretty good, and I know people like Bumblebee, but will kids and their parents really notice the difference?

[​IMG]

I also really wasn't expecting a redo for Sideswipe. In my opinion the existing ROTF deluxe is one of the best deluxe molds ever, and yet the new version looks pretty damn amazing too.

[​IMG]

Then there's the legends, and the only reason I can think for them to redo these, is maybe they were already developed before Takara decided to do the Legends combiner. Seems very little need for these guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like all of these, they look like great molds. It just seems strange that they would do so many redos when movie characters like Flareup and Scrapper are still lacking larger toys. I presume Hasbro know their own business and what they're doing.

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I would'nt go that far.

Yeah, it looks like the Leader, but due to the Leader's greater size, it still comes off as more accurate with the detailing and all. Besides, even with the voicebox, batteries and wires it's still pretty damn slim, unlike the first movie Prime.

3. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Well it's true that they did a great job incorporating the electronics in the Leader class, though the voyager at least won't have the annoyance of constantly triggering the the voice mechanism while transforming.

4. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I apologize if I missed this in an earlier discussion, but is it possible that this new Bumblebee will be shorter and more in scale with the new deluxe Ratchet and Ironhide? Just a thought.

And that new Prime looks really nice. As I said in another thread, I'm now torn between whether to get that or the upcoming Takara Prime with the jet-trailer.

5. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    For the sake of scale, I think this new Prime is the mold Leader Jetfire should've been designed to combine with. Takara's JetPrime seems a pretty strange idea to me.

That would make sense, though I haven't seen pics of them in comparison. Too bad because, from pics it looks like Ironhide wasn't far from Bumblebee in the display area. I suppose Activators Bumblebee might be in scale with the new Deluxe Ironhide, Ratchet, and Voyager Prime. Though he probably won't fit in with his kid proportions.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Really? I'm surprised the whole line hasn't been renamed "Bumbleformers."

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

no shit! I had no idea that was a voyager prime. I will buy this then

8. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    true, but I'm just surprised it would come so soon. I thought they'd wait for TF3 to break out the redos.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Maybe there's going to be redesigns for the characters in TF3? That's pure and total speculation, but it would be nice to see someone other than Megatron get a new body. Maybe some more traditional-looking robot modes.

*sigh*
    I can dream.

10. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

Uh flareup is Elita-1 and she is a repaitn of chromia, and hasbro todl that there no plasn for a scrapper fig in their q&a expect for scrapmental (ze little one) (but i hoep they chagne their minds cuz i want the otehr contructicons)

11. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    The new Prime has me feeling like I should buy Voyager Grindor and him to recreate the forest battle along with the other characters I already have in the scale. Sigh.

And there was absolutely no need for another Bumblebee: Battle Ops, Deluxe, Legends, or otherwise.

12. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Well there's gotta be a limit how many times they can merchandise the same design before everyone gets bored and jaded and finds a new hobby.

Here's a wacky thought: maybe Bumblebee dies in TF3?

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking about making a thread like this.

I'm not sure what surprises me more...that we got so many redos, or that I LIKE it.

See, as a new collector, one of the things I'm starting to really appreciate is that HasTak is always pushing the envelope with what they can accomplish in design. I am already acquiring the habit of waiting a bit on very popular characters and seeing if any improvement is coming out.

I NEVER liked the original Voyager Ratchet and Ironhide too much...my roommate had them and they were just kind of ok. Recon Ironhide was enough of an improvement that he plus the guns was worth it. Deluxe Ratchet is not perfect, but is pretty cool.

This ToyFair has actually inspired me to get a collection of Movie Autobots. I can build them around the improved Voyager Prime (as opposed to the rubbish one), and have them all in scale at not-huge (I don't like Autobots to be too big). None of the previous Deluxe movie BBs were really good enough to rush out and buy, but this new mold looks pretty definitive (hopefully it's not real tall). I also like that there's a new mold Sideswipe, since I have the mold but not the character (Swerve).

As far as drawing conclusions about the story of TF3, I think that's futile. The timeframe doesn't work. These figures had to have been in the pipeline for awhile, before anything like a TF3 script was probably around to reference.

14. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. The point is they choose to do new molds for designs that they've already done, while ignoring ones they haven't.

I suppose the reality is Bumblebee outsells all of those characters any day of the week. It looks like the strategy is to always have some version of Bumblebee on shelves all year round.

15. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Sometimes they're a big improvement. Other times they're just different for the sake of different. See Cannon Bumblebee. Sideswipe doesn't seem to offer any real improvement either.

I'm the same. I like them smaller. It'll keep them in better scale with the Decepticons. I may go for a new lineup with Voyager Optimus, Deluxe Ratchet + Ironhide, and Activator BB. Activators are fun, though I'd prefer a more accurate scout class Bumblebee somewhere down the line. I love all the scout class cars so far, and with Hubcap they've reached a new level.

random speculation always has it's place. :thumbs2: 

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gotta wonder how the toy designers feel.

"That last Bumblebee toy turned out great! Now do it again, except better/larger/smaller/with more electronics" :) 

17. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Not for nothing, but I truly believe this is EXACTLY what goes on in those design meetings.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They probably do fine.

"Our revenue stream is off the charts! As long as we keep the high selling characters out there, we can afford to do a whole new line with a new gimmick and all new characters!"

Well, he's a whole new mold, with guns instead of swords (awesome, as he packs guns in the movie too), a Hot Rod homage deco (cool, since the character was almost Hot Rod). He's not so much an "improvement" I guess but he's neat and different. If I'm going to have Sideswipe and Swerve, I'd like them to be as different as possible.

As for Cannon BB, if the chest had been better I might have bit. I like the cannons from movie 1 on him, so it's kind of a meaningful variation. I also find the earlier version of the mold unbearably fiddly.

19. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I don't see the deco as a Hot Rod homage, so much as a big bloody grin, embodying just how bloodthirsty the character is in the movie.

On closer inspection there does seem to be some significant improvement to this new Sideswipe, but without the blades, it doesn't feel definitive to me. The proportions are closer to the CG renders, with the longer legs and the smaller head. The transformation also seems more accurate, with the front wheels ending up on the lower arms. Looks like they did an amazing job.

With Cannon Bumblebee it wasn't like there was a progression or a refinement over what they did before. It was just different. Though probably more kid-friendly.

Incidentally, I didn't think Swerve was the best representation of the original mold. The plastic felt cheaper and the molding wasn't as crisp. On mine at least.

20. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

Is it possible that this new Bumblebee, Prime, and Sideswipe are going to tie into the upcoming CGI cartoon in some way?

Incidentally, I now feel like equipping my Legends Sideswipe with a homemade pistol put me "ahead of the game" in some way. :D 

("Big bloody grin" is pretty good, Bumblethumper. The Vette looks ready to eat'cha, as it is. :D )