a look back on beast machines

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thundrwaveprime, Oct 15, 2008.

1. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

beast machines is 1 of my favorite transformers sieres. dispite its plot holes and dissporportioned figures, i can't hate it. i an one of the only beast machines fans out there. this thread is for disscusing this underrated masterpiece.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I can't help but feel your topic title is misleading. Perhaps something like "My typing is bad and I like Beast Machines" would have been better?

3. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

lol

4. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I was thinking this would be an intelligent discussion of the flawed story of Beast Machines.

I was wrong.

5. thundrwaveprime

beast machines claims the first transformers came to cybertron, but was primus supposed to creat them to defennd the universe from unicron? that is on of beast machines story flaws, how do you think this mistake happend.

6. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I will bite, and not in a gay a**hole coment, I liked it alot wish Hasbro would have gotten the bots in the riht colors and sizes.

7. thundrwaveprime

it is an intelligant disscusion about all things beast machines.. i was just giving you an intro about how i like beast machines. this thread is for disscusion.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I loved Beast Machines. I hunted the toyline to completion (which, living in the UK, took a looong time. I started when the line was current, and finished in 2005). I even got the Beast Rider & Deployer repaints; and a show accurate KO of Optimus Primal a couple of days ago.
    The Vehicons were outstanding designs; we had figures like Spy Streak, Obsidian, Strika, and Jetstorm. The Autobots were very mixed, though; Blast Punch Optimus Primal, Hammerstrike, Night Slash Cheetor... and Nightscream. Oh, and Supreme Cheetor. Definitely a line where the bad guys were stronger toys than the good guys.
    The show was a mixed bag for me; while I loved the darker direction the show took, the lack of continuity for some characters did grate on me (Rhinox mainly). I loved some of the dilemmas the Maximals found themselves in; Rattrap becoming so desperate to be useful that he would even make a deal with Megatron, Primal becoming a zealot without even realising it, Cheetor having to grow up fast and take over as leader.
    Then there was the whole "Who are the Vehicon Generals?" storyline; 2 shocks, and 1 massively funny scene ("Plus chicks dig the whole brooding biker bot bit." GENIUS!).
    Of course every TF series has its flaws, and in BM's case they were HUGE. Organic Cybertron - bad idea. And don't even get me started on "learning how to transform". That was just rubbish.
    However, I can forgive those things for ONE reason: Megatron. He absolutely SHONE in BM; his transition from renegade to genocide was done perfectly; one could even understand his rationale for pretty much enslaving the souls of an entire planet. Hell, I even partially agreed with him. He got some absolutely killer dialogue too.
    And yet, for all his power he still couldn't free himself of his beast mode until something drastic happened.
    All in all, Beast Machines was a mostly successful experiment for me; a return to vehicles, a more mature and dark storyline, an excellently animated series, and one of the most innovative toy lines we've had. I doubt we will ever see another series or toyline like it; and to be honest, I'm not sure that's such a good thing.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    And I was hoping we could avoid flame-bait statements like these.

I was wrong.

And maybe some of these kinds of insultive comments.

I was wrong again.

BM fucking rocked, BTW. I'm not wrong here.

Because when BM was beiong written, it wasn't based off the "Primus made TFs" universe of G1. Plus, it doesn't outright say that TFs literally arrived elsewhere to Cybertron, just whjen the "first Transformers came to Cybertron" which could also just be a different way of saying they came to be on Cybertron.

It's not a flaw. Though it is confusing since noone is really sure which G1 continuity BM comes after, though many lean to the G1 cartoon since Cybertron in G1 had rock and other "organic" materials in it's sub-levels.

I actually felt that was very well-handled, having him be corrupt in his very spark. (but turned good after he died to help give guidance to Primal)

:rock 

Remember, he was "subconciously" attached to his beast form. (that wasn't just the Diagnostic drone being a douche) Remember, he loved his T-rex head in BW.

BM will never be as good as BW, and that's where it gets a lot of it's flack, because it didn't live up to how just plain great BW was. But tehn again, it was a very tough act to follow.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Drave and Split Lip have pretty much summed up my feelings on the matter; Beast Machines was a fantastic series.
    I wasn't a fan of the organic Cybertron side of it (so yeah, I guess I'm with Megs on that), or the strangeness of the Maximals having to get all Zen to get to their robot modes (which the writers seemed to stop bothering with once everyone had got the hang of it anyway). But the Vehicon generals were priceless.

The thing that really rang with me, though, were that finally the bad guys were a real threat. With Megatron basically in control of 99% of the population of Cybertron, the few remaining Maximals were hopelessly outnumbered - and yet they still succeeded in what they set out to do. And the sheer odds against their success is what makes the fact that they did it that much more heroic.

11. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

I loved this show to death, it was the first one I actually watched on tv (i was born in 1990) and buying it and watching it now that I'm nearly an adult... It got even better. I could go into extreme specifics if I wanted too, but I have painting and a girlfriend to talk to. So I leave this to you guys. lol

12. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I already said everything I have to say about Beast Machines a while ago...

Link!
    Revisiting Beast Machines

... but I can't resist putting in my two cents. Beast Machines was an excellent show. It had its faults and stumbled now and then, but it had far more successes and I genuinely enjoy it to this day. As the end to the original continuity that began with G1, ran through BW, and into BM it was epic. I know the majority of the fandom despises the idea of a fully technorganic Cybertron, but I give the writers credit for having the balls to go through with it. No other Transformers series since has had such a sense of finality.
    In fact, it's telling that after Beast Machines Hasbro and Takara decided to reboot the franchise with an alternate universe. That's how much of an impact BM had. Transtech looked good, but I'm glad they let it end with BM. It just seems more fitting.

13. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    looking back at it well.........not much to say.

14. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got the whole collection sealed and the DVD boxset, now I have to start hunting down the show accurate japn. toys.

15. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

Beast machines was a great series. The show at least. The toys were somewhat lacking, but it was definitely the 2nd best TF show (2nd-3rd season of beast wars was better, but BW vs BM is almost even imo). Guessing some people didn't like it b/c it was too radical and different, so i guess it didnt' do too well and we got the horrible japanese transformers shows afterwards (good toys though).

16. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Wow, I'm not the only one. I absolutely adored the Beast Machines series. At that time, I enjoyed it more than the Beast Wars series.

Beast Machines was out at an important developmental stage of my life, so I may be somewhat prejudiced in that regard(it helped me get through the first phase of my career, my married life, first child...). All-in-all a great cartoon despite its flaws.

17. Cashanova

Cashanova Sons Of Unicron PTT

Beast Machines had a huge impact on me. I loved Beast Wars, and allthough it is a better show, there was something about the art style of Beast machines that hammered it home for me.

The fact that the vehicons bot modes were far from humanoid was very cool. Yes there were continuity errors but G1 was full of them.

It may have taken an artistic licence with the origin of Cybertron and the Transformers, but can any race millions of years old remember their origin?

I'm suprised no ones commented on the dead cool music for the opening credits! Phat Planet baby!

18. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    G1 > BW > BM > Animated > Energon/Cybertron/Armada

Loved Beast Machines and the toys actually

19. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh, yeah. Trouble is, that track always reminds me of a Guinness advert that it was also used for... :p 

20. Cashanova

Cashanova Sons Of Unicron PTT

BeastMachines and Guinness... Yesssssssssss!