Customs: A little preview of my work in progress..

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NemesisPrime, Sep 6, 2006.

1. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

I know it's not much, but I've been working 3 nights on it honing the skills and how to's on the jet pack, armor and tail section before I move onto Jetfire himself. So far I've used a crapload of blackpaint, thinner, and cut a lot of brushes down to try and get the minute details...

[​IMG]

that's just oneside of his thruster, I need to finish cleaning it up but i'm letting the paint dry a bit, then tomorrow I'll finish the rest of them up hopefully....

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    OOOH!! I can't wait to see how it all looks when finished.

3. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

Do you mind telling us what exactly you are doing? Is this just a repaint?

4. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

a full repaint and a possible retooling...

5. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Gasoline prices have been falling in Louisville???
    But seriously, those look great.

6. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

They're just telling us we dropped our keys...now when we go to bend over to pick them up......we get a big red shanker...

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A Gundam pen would help your cause immensely. I can't imagine going through all the trouble of painting all those lines.

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

There's the other method where you thin down some black or dark brown and paint along the lines, let it dry, then take some weak thinner and wipe over the lines. This will take only the paint in the high areas off leaving black lines, shadows, etc...

9. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

I've never heard of these...where may I obtain these? They would be worth their weight in gold......if not more...

10. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

This is what I'm doing after I paint the lines with the trimmed brushes....

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :thumb 

12. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

Nice honing your skillz and all!!!!!!

I wonder, do you also do the same thing when painting in tight crevises?

I usally buy citadel ink's,but What I like to do is just get all the black paint inside the line's then use a paper towel, and a can of lghter fluid to get the access off.

It works and no mess, but do it with haste before paint drys other wise...ruined!

13. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Damn...i just located and purchased a couple of sets...should be here in a couple of days...muhaha!

14. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Here's a nice hint:

Baby Wipes...Pampers Non-scented Baby Wipes. My three year old has proven useful once again! They will take the tacky paint off ANYTHING!

15. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

...because it's a well-known fact that, because of modern child-labor laws, three-year-olds are basically useless otherwise.

:lolol  :tongue: 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

16. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Actually...I've trained mine to get me sodas and other stuffs....

am I going to jail now?????:confused2 

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Gundam pens/markers really are pretty . . . what's the polite word? Well, let's just say they aren't as useful as you'd think they would be. They tend to need multiple applications to take, and each time you take a pass it losens the layers beneath, thus negating the work you did.

I'm a far bigger fan of doing the wash method. Super-thinned black paint, wiped into panels, allowed to dry for just a few moments, then wiped off. Sometimes it takes a few applications to get the desired tone, but in the end it's so much easier than trying to get the pens to look right.

Gundam pens make awesome CD cover writing instruments though. Which is what all of mine ended up doing eventually.

18. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

Ebay:
    I second that. Gundam markers are mediocre overall. The results tend to be pretty weak compared to traditional paints, as the colors look a bit chalky and scratch easily.

I'm a fan of the wash technique myself, although one has to be careful if you're doing it on a painted surface as the thinner can erode the paint if you're not careful. Otherwise it's probably the best choice. Another option is a .005 Micron pen (or something equivalent) which works quite well so long as you don't mind the ink being semi-gloss.

19. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

I'll work with a couple of different ways. I really like how my thrusters came out. If it don't end up better or equal, they'll be washed, and done by the refined method used before.... :D 

20. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Use different types of paint to avoid this. Or a clear-coat before you do your panel lining. I usually throw on a shot of Future Floor Polish with the airbrush, then do the panel lining either with weaker paints, or inks that wash off with water or rubbing alcohol. Seems to work pretty good and not eat off the existing paint job.

As for ink being semi-gloss, I use gloss, semi-gloss, and flats in my main paint job. None of it matters because by the time I'm completely finished I've usually tossed on who knows how many clear coats. Typical layers for me is 1) primer, 2) shades (which could be multiple layers in one) 3) colors, 4) clear coat gloss, 5) decals, 6) overspray to blend decals, 7) clear coat flat, 8) dry brush, 9) clear coat gloss, 10) wash, 11) clear coat whatever the final texture should be, gloss or flat or semi-gloss and sometimes another shot or two here or there, depending on how my steps go.

But, yeah, texture shouldn't matter too much as long as you're willing to put the time into good clear-coats over the top.