A little info on Classics Universe Prowl

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jksit1, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jksit1

jksit1 The Chosen One

Hi all,

I am planning to purchase Prowl and was wondering the following;

Which version - Hasbro or Henkei?
    How many potential repaints of this mold is there other than Silverstreak?

Some opinions on those who have or even don't have the toy would be appreciated.

2. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i didnt know about henkei prowl..i just got the hasbro universe prowl..and i like it a lot...
    dunno about potential repaints
    EDIT: silverstreak?

3. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    henkei version will have a chrome gun, missiles and airelon (spelling?)and those are the differences...
    as for the repaints, Smokescreen!

4. Nemesis_Prime22

Nemesis_Prime22 Dark Emperor

Quite personally Ill probably not get any of the prowl repaints, because I was quite disappointed with Prowl...

To me his figure tends to look like it's slumping no matter what you do, the purple-ish back windsheild bugs me, and his face looks like he just got punch in the gut or somthing...

So no matter how you pose him, he looks cynically depressed.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    He's definitely getting a Silverstreak, Smokescreen is a VERY strong possibility because one of the marketting guys likes the colors. I'd like to think Prowl might get a Barricade-inspired repaint too as a Decepticon, he'd look great in those colours, though I think that is extremely unlikely.

Essentially, Prowl is a very repaint friendly mold. Easily as much as Starscream was.

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    He is an awesome mold and definitely worth picking up. However I'd reiterate, be careful on the paint. I'd seriously recommend opening the packaging and putting some sort of sealant (varnish) onto the roof and the door before you even THINK about playing with him.

7. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

I personally like this mold. I never owned a Prowl before but I think this one is a good compromise. Yeah the windows are a bit cheesy and it seems that his head is always pointing downward somewhat, but he has great posability and articulation. I say go for it!

8. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I really like the mold for Prowl. He is awesome. I would just stick with the Hasbro version since I really don't see there being THAT big of a difference and Hasbro is a lot cheaper too.

9. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to a possible Smokescreen

10. BumbleBabe

BumbleBabe Banned

its def an awsome figure.. my only complaint is how high his head sits on his chest.. i dont know why they made his head post so tall... other than that minor gripe i like him...

11. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I LOVE my Universe Prowl. Just check all the ones over at the store to make sure you get one with the best possible paint app. The white paint over the clear plastic tends to ba a bit sloppy or thin. Mine looks pretty good though cos I checked them over before buying. The Henkei version doesn't look any different besides the chrome. I think the Chrome on the spoiler looks tacky, so I don't think it's worth the extra money.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

The mold itself is solid and fun, even if the quality control is lacking. It's not perfect.... it's a little back-heavy in robot mode, and could use some Alternator-style flaps to cover the empty calves. Also, unless you're looking at him from the front on, his helmet sculpt creates the illusion of "sad eyes."

As for differences with the Henkei version, besides the chrome it also has a different lightbar in some of images we've seen... no idea whether that will be the case with the final figure.

The obvious repaint possibilities are Silverstreak and Smokescreen. I wouldn't be surprised is Blue Bluestreak shows up as an exclusive of some sort... or even a Stunticon repaint. It would be a bit of a cheat, but I could also see him being given a different police deco and released as Streetwise (maybe in his G2 color scheme to differentiate him from Prowl).

I'm probably just about the only person who feels this way, but I actually like Prowl's long neck. To me, it makes him look that much more like a self-righteous, uptight stiff (my preferred Prowl characterization :) ). It's like he's deliberately extending his neck to look down his nose at everyone else.

Might not fit as well for Silverstreak and a hypothetical Smokescreen, though.

13. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

News Credits:
    If you're trying to decide between Henkei and Classics, you may want to wait until the Henkei versions are actually released.

We know the theoretics; the Henkei version is going to have a chromed spoiler, chromed guns and shoulder cannons, and a different lightbar. But fact of the matter is, no one has SEEN Henkei Prowl in the flesh yet since it hasn't been released to stores yet. All we really have to go on are con/proto photos, so it's not exactly a perfect comparison.

Of all the Classics/Universe figures released so far, Prowl is the one most likely to have some sort of paint app errors. If you decide you want the USA one, you should probably check out a rack of them in person, and pick out one you think looks good.

If that sort of thing isn't a consideration for you, it'll basically come down to price or chrome:
    Do you want the cheaper one? -- You can buy Three UC Prowl for the cost of importing One Henkei.
    Do you NEED extra chrome applications? Do you prefer that look?
    Those sorts of things should be your deciding factor.

You may just have to look at them side by side when they come out.

14. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prowl's a good mold, but the awful QC on the Hasbro version makes me think you might want to wait and see how Henkei turns out. It might be worth the extra price to get a figure that doesn't have smudgy, sloppy paint apps. I love the mold, but his paint problems really make me wish I waited for Bluestreak....

Well, two of us at least... I've always felt Prowl's "turtleneck" did a good job of making him look like the complete prick that he is.

15. jksit1

jksit1 The Chosen One

Thanks for your help guys. Currently Prowl only seems to be available at Argos stores in the UK. I will not have much time to inspect things like paint apps while the store assistant waits impatiently for me to choose. I guess I will wait for Henkei to release their version so that I can see some compare shots.

16. Johnator

Good luck.

17. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Haha, that would be downright cool beyond words!

18. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    as far as repaints go, I would love for hasbro to throw a curveball and repaint him into either cheetor or tigatron (sans lights of course). considering how much of a homage to P/BS/SS both cats were back in beast wars, what with the overall design of the bot mode. On the downside, they'd be some of the ugliest lookin cars ever.

19. Johnator

:lol 

20. mat`amit

mat`amit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    personally i would go for henkei because the chrome gives the fig a little more 'kick'. however since i already got hasbro prowl for free, then i would skip the henkei fig because i don't like to have 2 of the same fig even with different features.
    as for hasbro version, to me its a good representation and homage to g1 prowl. looks and feel right when played. mine had a little paint job prob on the doors but nothing noticable.
    if i need to choose it would be henkei