a little help here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wrecker217, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I'm being bullied online (yeah, I'm a 17 year old, but this shit still happens)., and I want advice on how to deal with these punks.

So, on Facebook, my High school has a Memes page that allows people to post memes that are related to the school's staff and events. Some just ask how to make a meme post.

In March, on one of the posts by a 2011 graduate asking for help, I gave him a link to memecenter.com when it should be .net, and the dude just suddenly says "no u"

Now, the guy was talking in l33t speak, plus he was saying shit like "I'm gonna be the mob leader of Detroit" in other posts, so I replied with "is there something I did wrong besides type .com instead of .net, Mr. Detroit mob boss?"

Dude just says "ya" and "u r ugly"

Having scarred my face and nearly breaking my arm recently in a skating accident when this altercation started, I was sensitive of his comment and replied with "I know I am but I'm still better looking than you and your 6th grade level insult"

Then some dumbass appears and before he deleted his comment he posted "do you [Wrecker217] even lift?, followed by crudely MS-Painted pic of my profile pic with the comment. I haven't even done that since I damn near broke my arm and pernamently damaged my wrist. Now, at this point I don't say anything and forget the post for 4 months.

Meanwhile, they keep posting shit about me. Even a freshman starts commenting, asking for me to return and reignite the "fight" until April.

Skip to today. On a different post (completely separate from the Memes page, instead on a friend's status update.

I post a sarcastic comment about me not taking summer classes when my friend had to. One millisecond before I post my comment, the same guy from before posts.

Guy probably thought I was terribly uninformed and said summer classes" to which I reply with a YOU DON'T SAY rage face as a joke. Dude suddenly starts asking why I'm skinny and bad at sports, then calls me a "Taggart"

Now, at this point, I completely forgot who he was, and I just thought he was another troll. Then, looking thru his pics, I recognize him.

At this time, I had become the administrator of my school's Meme page, so after reading the comments, I, using the meme account, say for them to not spam the page. At this point the pic of me on that page gets deleted and the OP says STFU.

Other trolls chime in and repost the deleted pic, and now, here we are.

Now, I have been cyber bullied within the past few years and handled it horribly, resulting in my internet social status to go down sharply. I am not going to say anything today, which is a smart thing to do, but I still want to strike back at them, but I don't know how. I have never even met them in real life. What should I do? I'm going into Senior Year, and that one will be the year people will remember you for. I want to fix my image.

2. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I'm gonna start out by letting you know I can see your name in that link, Then I'm gonna edit this thing with a more detailed and relevant response.

I was ridiculed in gym class at my other school (which I bitch a lot about, I know) for being uncoordinated. The bullying I was faced with went unnoticed for quite some time, as I'd known and attended school with these people since kindergarten. They were my only friends and I trusted them with everything. Having only ever been treated one way, I understood it to be normal. People treated me that way, and I treated them the same way. I was usually caught and punished for doing so, while my bullies usually got away with it. I was told by my fifth grade teacher that I required psychiatric help because she thought I would become a drug addict and commit suicide. (As friendly and concerned this makes her sound, it was actually not so. She forced me into seeing the school counselor because she thought my parents wouldn't want to waste any money on me for real psychiatric help. [Which at the time I did not require] You're reading that right, she told me I could either see the school counselor for free, or burden my family financially with my "problems". The counselor along with this teacher tried to make me "understand" that I was a waste of everyone's time and that I deserved all the things that happened to me. I wish I was kidding) I was bullied for my beliefs and career plans as well. At this point, in grade nine, my grades went down the shitter. Realizing I'd never make it into medical school with such awful grades, and knowing how important grade ten was, I started looking into a different school. I found some old stuff from this school my mum considered putting me in after an earlier incident, (There's a lot of them...) so I figured I'd see if they had a site. After doing a lot of research, I decided I wanted to give it a go. I convinced my mum I wasn't going to learn much more from my old school, and that I was ready for a change. My fellow students found out I was considering changing schools and asked me about it. When they discovered it was a private school, they called me rich and sheltered. My best friend said that I wouldn't last three months in a school for smart people. I can't believe I laughed with her then. That I agreed with her.

Six months into my new school, I was enjoying everything. Everyone was so nice to me, the teachers were helpful, and I was doing really well. However, I was still really, really bad at sports. We had a badminton match and I was losing, I was tripping on myself and falling everywhere and just doing really poorly in general. :lol  When my opponent made no comment on my poor performance as I was accustomed, I started to come up with my own. Halfway through the match I walked out of the gym and burst into tears. A few of my friends noticed and brought me to the bathroom, they calmed me down and convinced the teacher to excuse me from class. Since it was my last class, I went to my locker to hide. One of the sportier girls had followed me out, she asked me what happened, and I told her about my old gym classes. She was absolutely appalled, which kinda surprised me. She promised me nothing like that would ever happen to me at this school. I was safe to be lousy at sports. It was okay. I hadn't known that before. That was just the start of it. I've sought out the counselor here (who actually knows what she's doing) and I'm learning how a person should be expect to be treated, how to establish a trust/respect based relationship, and really how to socialize in general.

I'm basically telling you this huge story to get to the part where I removed all the kids from my other school on Facebook. It's not a rage quit, I did it for myself because I need to move on and start putting this stuff behind me. You can block people from groups/your personal Facebook. Remember to stay nice, every time I tried to defend myself I was caught and blamed, and the punishment went to me instead of the bully. Let them say what they want, and when they're done, just tell the damn grown ups. I know it sounds lame, but just do it. If it's really upsetting you, show the page to your dad, your mom, your teacher, whatever. Let them handle it. It doesn't matter if these brats think they won because you told an adult. If you stay quiet and continue to allow them to do say these things, that's their true victory. That's when they've really won.
    Don't let them do this to you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  3. Wrecker217

News Credits:
    Aw, crap... I just noticed the "No posting Drama" rule...

A little advice before I get my thread deleted by staff?

Yeah, well, I had no other way to post without letting you guys see it.

4. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

Just ignore them plain and simple I had the same problem

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just ignore them. Responding in any way, shape, or form will just feed their idiocy.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, the internet just ate the long post I made when you posted this thread, so I'll just echo the others here & say to ignore them.

I mean, one of the worst things you can do is let a couple of internet tough guys who have next to no impact on your life negatively effect you. Like, if there's something you can do in regards to getting your school's page properly policed (aka, to hold people accountable for what they post) then by all means go for it, but that'll only stop them from trolling you on there. If you need to respond in some way, then just laugh at them for acting like posting memes about you is a big deal & move on.

Like most forms of bullying, it's all about getting a reaction, and once they stop getting it (especially from the person they're trying to intimidate from behind a keyboard), its not gonna be worth it anymore & they'll probably just move onto wasting their time with something else. Plus, since they're shitting on you online, chances are that they have no balls anyway, meaning that they won't be a thread irl. If they are, just get a bunch of friends or something to have your back & unless these guys are real crazy, they're not gonna do anything except wack off once they're done with their math homework.

7. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Is there ignore lists? If it's your profile can't you just delete their posts? I honestly don't get this cyber bullying crap. I myself was partially disfigured after being hit in the eye with a squash racquet. This was just when I was getting into adolescence and also at that time when my interest in girls was peaking. That all went south very fast as I had 0 confidence and I actually seperated myself from all my best friends that I had known since Kindergarten. I did get extremely sensitive to peoples comments, BUT I never let any mofo put me down till I was utterly depressed though, you have to stand for yourself. There is so much more to life and later on when you get through all this you will understand it and be so greatful. You will become stronger. Like the saying goes "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". Other than that, all I can say is don't do anything stupid by retalliating in a way, that can and most likely will, create more problems.

8. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I forgot to add one last thing in my text wall. No one deserves to be bullied. Not you, not me, not even the bullies themselves. No one deserves that. I can't even begin to describe how bad it was...
    I think you're ok. People ask for prayers for personal issues or share their trouble regarding girls or illness here all the time. You're just looking for help. I'd still take out those links though, you've summed everything up pretty nicely in your post.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't feed trolls. The kid is an idiot. There's no shortage of them on facebook or the internet as a whole. Report him for harassment or abuse, or message the people who are admins of the page and explain he's making the group look bad.

You are letting yourself get into a public sparring match with a 17 year old over literally nothing. You're the adult in this situation (even if the 17 year old is acting like a complete jackass, and even if you're still something of a kid yourself), so you should have the maturity to not let yourself get dragged down to his level.

When you strike back at them, you are giving them attention. That is what they want. That is why they can't let things go away. Report them for abuse of the site, but don't try and "out-troll" them or get some sort of petty internet revenge, because if you're going to act like an idiot, they'll beat you with experience.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    In real life too. Never let these people get to you. By being the person who can go "yeah ok" and not show any reaction to their attempts to upset you make them really look stupid, and then everyone laughs at them for trying so hard and not accomplishing anything. ;) 

Didn't read OPs original post btw was way too long. So hope I got the jist of what's going on lol.

11. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Yep. Plain ol ignore. You think that is worse? These days you got 20-infinite and beyond aged people who still act like that. At least this situation will prep you on the days to come.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Pretty much all you do is ignore them , in time they will grow bored of trying to get a rise out of you and failing and move on.

13. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Like everyone else has said, ignore them. Don't go down to their level it's only fuel for the fire.

And to GFH, I'm glad you were able to find much better friends at that new school. I wish everyone in the world would be kind and considerate like that.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's an old saying: "A man who stops for every barking dog will never reach his destination."

15. Wrecker217

News Credits:
    Thanks, guys. I'm just going to stop feeding trolls.

Also, Aernamoth, I'm the 17 year old. The other guys were college sophomores.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, report, ignore and move on. I know it can be hard to just leave them to their nonsense as they'll undoubtedly take it that you not fighting back means they've 'won', but really they've lost and they just don't realise yet that they're losers.

It's like with certain posts on here - sometimes I'll see someone has posted a reply to me refuting a point I've made that I know I could trash back but I'll start writing and then decide actually I can't be bothered to get into it and will just go post in another thread for a while. No doubt that other person will take me not replying to their post as they've 'won' or 'beaten' me in the debate, but really I've moved on and lost nothing while they're still repeatedly refreshing the page to see if I've replied to them yet. That or the 'debate' meant so little to me I've simply forgotten to come back to it. :p 

I know that's not exactly the same as being cyber bullied, but it's a similar mindset you sometimes have to adopt or things can go on and on and really it's not worth the effort to do so.

They'll soon get bored and find some other poor sod to poke and get a response from.

17. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    he can't do anything to you if it's just online. just ignore him. he'll go away eventually.

and here's a tip my coach taught me for people who bully you in real life: if they want to start a fight or something, just don't fight them. instead, give them either a cold look, laugh at them, (or to be more sarcastic) wink at them or blow 'em a kiss. then walk away. doing this doesn't show them what you can do, and deep down, they'll be scared because of that. they won't know what to expect if/when you get revenge, or when to expect it.

18. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I hate to sound cliche, but yeah, just ignore them. The internet is like beer muscles for sober people. You'll always have people acting like jerks, whether it be in real life or on the internet. The best thing you can do is just not let them get to you.

19. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Kind of what everyone else said, but I'd also like to add that the real trick behind that is to actually not give a damn. High School doesn't mean anything and the internet doesn't mean anything so the internet in high school is so meaningless that it should barely be worth your time.

Also, I'm 37 and let me tell you, that last line about senior year being what people remember? Yeah, totally not true. Once you graduate none of any of it will mean anything. And really, the same goes for the internet.