Customs: A Little Help: Gobot Screw Head's Face

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Reference: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/221205-gobots-screw-head-wip.html

One of the more common questions that has been asked both here and on S70 has been Screw Head's face and how I plan on implementing it. I've still got quite a bit of work to do before figuring that one out, but I was wondering if any of you could offer up some suggestions.

The main issue is giving him a face and somehow concealing it for vehicle mode. I was thinking of using magnets to swap parts out, but I also thought of something a little more complex such as cutting into the drill and inserting a pin with a square plastic piece that can be flipped for the appropriate mode.

Does anyone remember if the original toy had such a feature?

2. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the original toy but something like what you were saying. Would a function like what the He-Man Man-e-Faces toy work? It had a spin dial on top that rotated the face. You could probably implement the same function if you cut the drill top off into it's own rotating part and hollow out the bottom half. Hope this helps

http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/MOTU/Toys/Loose/ManEFacesComplete3a.jpg

3. Satomiblood

4. I AM MEGATRON

I AM MEGATRON pleasure model

is the drill head hollow? And if so does it rotate? If those are both yes then you could put a piece inside the drill bit head that just covers the area for the face..then as you rotate the drill to the right position it would uncover the face. I did something like that on a figure before after I saw it done..lemme see if I can find the link.

5. Satomiblood

Part of the drill is hollow. It's from a Neo-Shifter set and there's a connector hole at the bottom. I'm not sure how hollow it is beyond that. I'll have to check.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you could A)cut a square out, using dimples, have the face inside the cut-out, and that piece you removed hinged to flip out to reveal it. or you could B) chop the top of the drill off, drill a hole down the middle from the new top, and in the hollow bottom area insert a 2-sided piece that on one side looked like the rest of the drill and the other side had his face, insert a pin down through the drilled hole into the top of this "head" piece, and the chopped off top attached to the top of the drill to allow you to rotate it.

If you go with option A) you'll have a small hinge sticking out of the drill as a small detractor in vehicle mode. If you go with option B) you'll have a slight indent where the hidden face is due to how the mechanism works as a slight detractor in vehicle mode.

hmmm... an option C) would be that you could chop the top half of the drill off, cut the bottom half vertically in half, and insert a slide piece onto both bottom pieces, and attach them back to the top piece via a pin that goes through the top piece, the slide pieces, and down further into the top of the "head" inside, which would allow you to split the drill open at the bottom to reveal the "head" inside of it. if you measure yourself properly, the top part would sit right at the top of his "head". That'd even give him a conehead look like the original, too.

7. Satomiblood

Thanks for the suggestions, REDLINE.

I also might try the Man-E-Faces approach and see if the spin dial will work for me.