a little editing help?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Orion_Prime48, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    alright im making some cards for my SHF Violent Emotion Decade. ive got the size down for them and ive got good quality images to use for the cards. but im hitting one problem, I cannot for the life of me get them to come out clear, ive tried everything and nothing makes them any clearer. now they are VERY small but I have other cards made by someone else that are perfect clarity and the same size.

heres one of the card pics im using

[​IMG]
    im resizing it all the way down to 26x36 pixels/cm and im using paint.net. so can anyone maybe help me out on these? its be greatly appreciated

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    What exactly do you mean by "clear"? Are you talking about actually making the image transparent in places, or are you talking about the grain on the image?

If you're talking about grain on the image, I really don't know that it'll matter when you chop it down to 26x36. That's practically microscopic in terms of print size.

3. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    its extremely pixelated when I size it down, makes the image barely legible. I have other cards which are the exact same size and damn near perfect quality

4. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    26X36 pixels is miniscule. can you show examples of ones you did that turned out ok? cause scaling anything down to that size is pretty much going to make it unrecognizable.

if you use photoshop to scale, when you go to image > image size you can set the image resampling to nearest neighbor instead of bicubic or whatever PS normally uses. nearest neighbor tends to give the cleanest, non-antialiased appearance you can get with image resizing.

5. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    I didnt make the first batch of cards someone else did, but I matched the size of the ones im making to these

SHF Decade Cards.pdf

ive printed those out and theyre still very much readable and excellent quality too

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The problem you're running into is that those aren't 26x36. They're higher DPI images that are scaled to a certain final size in inches. Screen resolution is 72dpi, a good print resolution is 300dpi, so the actual size you want to be saving things at is around 108x150. If paint.net lets you set image DPI when printing, kick it up to 300 and then save it at the appropriate physical size (the size of the final printed product).

7. Cracka J

News Credits:
    thanks for answering, I couldn't open the pdf file at work, but you're right if that's what the situation is.

8. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    you lost me completely there, I can change the resolution and print size. can you perhaps do it and send it to me so I can see first hand what you did?

9. Cracka J

News Credits:
    I got home and opened your pdf. Jester is right, what the pdf is basically doing is taking higher resolution images and scaling them down to a final print size. The actual data taking up one of the card slots is much larger. I just copied and pasted one of these off the pdf...

[​IMG]

so you can obviously see the embedded image into the pdf is much larger then the 26x36 size you're going for. so what you need to do is set your image to around the same pixel size as the one above, but the document size should be how big you intend the final print to be. this is pretty easily done in photoshop, but I'm not sure how paint.net works.

10. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    when I mess with the print size it screws with the overall size of the image, making it pixelated again

this is turning into a huge hassle now lol, how do you do it in PS?

11. Cracka J

News Credits:
    what you're describing pretty much says that paint.net can't have independent pixel depth and document print size, which makes sense if it's a free program.

In PS, if you go to image>image size you'll get a dialogue box that can independently set your pixel depth, print size and resolution. your pixel size should be about what the card I posted is (90x133 for a decent picture) and the print size make it whatever the final card size is.

12. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    dammit