A little eBay help please...

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Laser_Optimus, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, won a MISB BM Tankor on eBay about three weeks back (on November 13) and paid the following day for the item via Paypal. Well, I wait patiently and honestly forget all about it (I had a lot of crap coming within the last month from early Christmas presents for family and friends to just some good deals I'd found for myself) until it dawns on me that that one item never arrived and it's about a week late as I paid for Priority Mail. So, I contact the seller about three times within that week. First politely and than towards the end I start getting a little more 'encouraging' shall we say as I'm beginning to get worried about my item and my money.

It takes him until the following week (and after I had said that further non-responsiveness from him would force me to take action either through eBay or my Credit Card) to respond to me. Supposedly something had happened to his keyboard and he'd been unable to get online. Fair enough. He said that he'd shipped it out on November 16th and supplied me with the tracking number as well -which didn't work when I input it into the USPS database-. He also gave me his cell phone to call him, but I wasn't going to do that as I find pestering someone over the phone to be rude unless it's an absolute last resort of communication.

So, I later message him that I appreciate the tracking number, but that it wasn't registering in their system. He than tells me that he'll go to his post office the following day (11/29/07) to attempt to get things squared away. Also, to prove to me that he wasn't dicking me around with a fake tracking number he supplies me with a scan of both the receipt itself and the insurance receipt. Again, fair enough I say and let him do his thing as I've been dealing on eBay and with USPS to know that the two receipts he scanned for me were legit. He also asks me to check with my local post office as he checks at his, which I tell him I can do two days from then as that is the next time I will be shipping items out from my sales on eBay. He also supplies me with a number to call the post office and speak to representative, but it was just a general help line.

So, on the 29th I get a message from him saying that he just got back from the post office and that they told him that sometimes the insurance number doesn't show up in their systems and that it sometimes shows up on their side (meaning it might not show up at his post office, but may show up at mine) and to call the customer service number (which, as I stated was just a general help line and even the manager had no idea what was going on). He than asked me to keep him posted.

So, the 30th I got myself down to the post office (I take a printed copy of both receipts with me) and the guy I know down there (see him frequently and have made it a point to make good friends out of him and a couple of the other 'shift managers' there) uses the number to look things up for me. He than tells me that it shows as having been received at the other post office (meaning that he did ship it out), but that it hasn't gone anywhere from there. He tells me to tell my seller to go to his post office to file an insurance claim as the item is now considered lost (as it just disappears in their system and such) and that even though it's insured there's nothing that he can do for me here as I don't have the original receipt. That way I'll be able to get my money refunded to me at the cost of the post office. So, I pass the information on to him and wait. Two days (12/01/07) later and I hear nothing back from him so I attempt to message him again... just a polite message asking him if he got my last message or if he had any word on how the insurance claim was going. Well, it's now the third and I've still heard nothing from him.

So, my question is, what should I do from here? Should I just keep pestering him via email? Or perhaps file an item not received claim with eBay? I'm kind of at a loss here, because it's not really his fault -the post office lost the package-, however, it is insured so he has to use the insurance receipt to get my money refunded. Any insight of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I would excercise as much patience as you can in this situation because it sounds like you both have been equally honest with each other. Perhaps wait one more day, and if no response comes then maybe call his cell phone since you have the number. I'm sure this can be resolved as long as you both stay in communication.

I hope all turns out well for you.

3. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

He seems like a nice guy, so I would wait a few more days. Call the cell if you're getting worried and he hasn't responded after the next few days. Sometimes they seem like the nicest guys in the world, but they can fuck you over good.

4. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I get on the phone with the carrier/postal service to get them on the case !.
    It may not be similar in the US, but I had the same problem in Denmark once but with a very expensive graphicscard that somehow got lost. I called the postal office main office and explained it to them, and the package after being stuck 2weeks at some weird postal office finally arrived.

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

It shouldn't be up to you to be the researcher and arcaeologist here.

It's only an email, keep pestering him I say. I would send an email every day if I were you. I think its called "communication" lol. Every day that goes by is another day wasted in wait.

If he had insurance on it, HE WOULD be the one getting the claim, and filing papers for the claim, and trying to track his delivery, not you.....

I dunno, thats a weird one, if it is truly a lost package, maybe wait another week?
    Then Id ask for a refund and wash my hands with the deal and forget about it. But maybe watch out so you don't cross the paypal claim deadline.

6. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    paypal claim is within 45days just to remind :) 

7. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Thank you!

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I second this reminder.....

Also, I say call the guy....you never know, he may honestly be busy?....and I have had d/c#'s or tracking #s not work until after I had got my item(s)....true story

9. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to attempt to contact him again (keep sending emails and tomrrow I'll try contacting him on his cell phone). At this point we've foudn everything out we can about the package so it's up to him to file the insurance claim as the USPS is saying that after it's initial scanning they have no record of it and can't seem to find it.

Also, thanks for the reminder of the Paypal limitation, but I hardly ever file claims with them as they're basically useless. He has proof of shipping and that's all they care about so they'd side with him even though I never recieved it. Further more, there's a reason I pay for everything I buy on eBay with a major credit card... much simipler to do a credit card charge back if things go sour... and I've had to do that a couple times when I've had issue, but I'm thinking this isn't the case here with this guy. At least I hope not.

Thanks again guys! :thumb 

10. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i've been in this situation, and ended up being screwed by the post office in the end because the clerk failed to STAMP my copy of the shipping reciept. so that being said, the buyer claims his package is lost, files claims with paypal, i provide shipping info, paypal sides with buyer, refunds $120, i file insurance with post office, my reciept is not stamped, so they do nothing. buyer did not pay for tracking, so no proof of delivery, but provided shipping and customs forms... i'm out the toys, the money and the isnurance.
    i now force all international buyers to pay for tracking and insurace.

11. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. That kind of sucks. So, if I'm understanding that correctly, that all happened simply because the post office didn't stamp your receipt? Well, thankfully this guy's receipt was stamped... I just hope he does what he needs to do.