Heavy/Scratch: A little different PRID Megatron.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SPLIT LIP, Mar 13, 2012.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    One day I will be able to take good pictures. Today is not that day. Brief WIP in the attachements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can't see, but his eyes are red. :( 

[​IMG]
    Feets.

The goal of this custom was to make Megatron fit alongside FE Optimus. To do that he needed not only height, but width. The height came from extended toes. To make him wider I punched the pins holding his shoulder pads all the way through to stop the chest halves just a bit so they made a wider chest. I then added an extra ball and socket segment to the arms, which can be removed if I so choose, and positioned the shoulder pads closer to how they appear on the show rather than hovering above and pointed slightly inward like they were. Some paint, a swordless fusion cannon and a shitload of apoxie sculpt and, well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Still transforms.

[​IMG]
    Cannon. Yup.

Okay bye.

Attached Files:

2. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very interesting!!! I am working on the same idea for one I am doing.... giving him height.

The shoulder thing I am not sure of, where do the shoulder covers sit in Alt mode? Under the jet?

3. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

That. Is. Cool. I like how you customized his height without sacrificing the figure's look! Is Starscream trying to use Megatron's knuckledusters in the last pic?

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    They do. They stop him from sitting nose-down as you can tell from the Apoxie container, but it actually winds up more accurate since now they're not stuck to the front.

Also something I forgot to mention, now that the shoulders don't peg into the chest halves, in order to kep his torso together and solid, I drilled a small hole in his butt so that the clear cannon mounting arm can peg into it with a slightly elongated peg.

Indeed that was my main concern. I need to keep the body looking relatively stock. It is a great mould, just a little small. Enlarging the feet was the best course. In fact, as I compared him, his torso, thighs, and lower legs are all the same height as Optimus'. It really did seem like the feet were just short and the chest narrow.

He has it on upside down, but yeah.

5. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am liking this. I may just have to borrow a form of the shoulder modification.

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    His feet look huge now, but it doesn't detract from the figure in general. In fact it gives him some sort of faux perspective which further enhances his new "tallness". Great job!

7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    They only look huge from a direct profile. (like the pic I posted showing off exactly what I did) I kept them thin so they don't look any different head-on. I might sand down the tops to make it even less noticable.

And another bit I sort of "discovered" is that the new arm joints fill in for bicep swivel.

8. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Dude, that's amazing! :D 

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Thanks.

And as an update (this wasn't meant to be a WIP, BTW) But I just flat out placed the new sockets inside his shoulders, so they sit wider, but don't hover off his body anymore. They're also tighter and move his arms a bit forward, which helps since the angle of his ball joints put them a smidge behind. And now he transforms even better, as the shoulder pads are now tucked in as a result.

Once I'm sure this shoulder build is final I snap some pics showing how I did it.