A little confusion. Anyone Know?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JimTheJIRRMan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    RIght now, the extremely "well informed" tf fans are probably laughing at me for asking this question. I need an answer:

"Were does 'War For Cybertron' fit in the TF Universe?"

I know that when it was released, there was no doubt. It was a G1 Prequel! But a few months ago, after TF: Prime aired, I saw a youtbe video (can't remember which one) and the guy said "War For Cybertron and TF: Prime feel more forced together than TF: Cybertron and the rest of the Unicron Trilogy." That got me confused. Then there's this: Cliffjumper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Look under "Video games" It says that the PRIME charachter was in WFC. I know wikipedia isn't reliable, but it added to my suspicion . SO now, it appears it was changed to WFC comesbefore PRIME.

Can anyone help me understand?

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

War For Cybertron supposedly fits into the same universe as TF: Prime, much like the novel TF: Exodus also fits into the TF: Prime universe.

Yeah, kinda weird that War For Cybertron got placed into the TF: Prime continuity, but... that's what Hasbro stated at one of the cons last year.

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actually, there was plenty of doubt that it was a G1 prequil.

There were heated debates on this and pleanty other TF fan sites about the issue.

Even the official word at the time was inconclusive.

From an official stand point WFC [and the novel Exodus] is in the same continuity as TF Prime.

However....Many claim that their are inconsistencies

4. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    Very weird, considering the complete difference in character design. Stupid hasbro.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    WfC is officially considered part of the Prime continuity, but I think that's only because they're both current productions. It's clear that the game was designed and written with G1 in mind, while Prime has a markedly different aesthetic and plot. I'm sure there are some fans out there who've found ways to reconcile the game and the show, but as far as I'm concerned it's only an arbitrary relationship and the two are as directly related as Prime and MLP.

"Claim?" There are direct contradictions as soon as the second episode (a Starscream who'd been in WFC would not be surprised at the existence of Dark Energon).

6. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WFC is in continuity with Prime in the same way G1 cartoon, Marvel comics, and IDW are all in continuity.

Take a look here for a more in-depth explanation.

Also before anyone starts bringing up Dark Energon, I'm just gonna say: Jetfire, Stunticons, and Aerialbots on a pre-Earth, war-time Cybertron. Matrix given to Prime by The Core, not Sentinal. The G1-WFC link is not without it's flaws.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm going to spell everything out for you.

Lets start with War for Cybertron. The developers have said that they had G1 in mind when designing the game. So they basically considered a prequel to a Neo-G1 setting. That's the best way to view it since they obviously didn't mean it to be a direct prequel based on the characters and story told. And that's fine. That's spectacular.

The novel, Exodus, was written to be a prequel to the game. Both have the same basic plot and both share common elements but they diverge too much to be an actual prequel. The entire second half of the book re-writes the events from the game. But even still, it's a good book if viewed as a stand alone setting.

Transformers Prime is being written as a mishmash of different continuities. They have elements from just about everything in there. And it's fantastic if viewed as a stand alone setting.

But some PR guy talking out of his.. erhem, tailpipe, claims that WFC and Prime are the same continuity. Some people have chosen to believe this and think that the game is a direct prequel to Prime when the problems with such a union are the size of Unicron. There are MANY MANY MANY things proving the two have no relation.

Now, that said, all three share some very core aspects that have been added to the Transformers mythology starting in WFC. Optimus and Megatron being friends, Dark Energon, Cybertron being infected by Dark Energon, for example. I can buy that they share the same underlying backstory but I will never EVER believe they are directly related when it is 100% crystal clear their creators don't believe so either.

So that is what you are seeing. For some frustratingly unknown reason, the wiki has combined the WFC entries with the Prime entries.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Yes "claim"., because its all a mater of how one perceived the dialog.

You saw Starscreams reaction as a "surprise" at the existence of DE.I dont really see that at all.

Seem he was just surprised to see it at that point....as if it was now extinct.

There may be other contradictions I cant speak of, I havent seen every episode.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The g1 toon, Marvel comics and IDW are all different continuities.

10. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    Best answer i see so far. I now consider it a "sorta prequel" to G1

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Prime and WFC are part of the same continuity family, just like the G1 comic and TV series, or the armada comic and cartoon series.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Personally, I like to just let WFC stand on its own. It's easier than trying to make it fit with any other existing series.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Case in point.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

"Proving"?

Thats a pretty strong way of wording it.I've only seen a few episodes, so I casnt argue for or againest on every issue.

But I've seen a few threads here and other sites that make the same claim you just made.

Ultimately they werent able to "Prove" anything beyond a doubt.

I agree.

15. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty much how I saw the scene. I mean, it took Megatron three years in unexplored space to find as much as he did.

NOT saying the two are 100% directly connected, just that I'd like to hear about more of the inconsistencies. Y'all have said there are "Many, Many, Many" inconsistencies, but the only ones I've seen stated are the Dark Energon problems, which is no worse than the difference between, say, Cartoon and Comics G1 Jetfire.

Meant as in they're all the same continuity family, and a comparison with Prime and WFC as being related in the same way. Probably should have made that clearer.:eek: 

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

at least I'm not alone.
    same hereartoon and Comics G1 Jetfire.
    sorry I misunderstood you.

17. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

This man, he is smart.