A limited cast like in Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Chopperface, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    When Beast Wars and Machines aired, they were known for having a relatively small, but well developed and memorable cast. The reason for such a small cast was because of the budget not allowing for many characters like in other shows, with expensive CGI.

Now we're 14 years or so later, and Hasbro completely owns this show stock and barrel without worrying about Cartoon Network's budget, or Fox Kids' budget, or anything like that.

With the advances in CGI since Beast Machines, will we see a much smaller cast like in Beast Wars/Machines, or will there be enough juice from Hasbro, with this show being one of their flagship shows, to secure a larger cast like in Animated and the other shows?

I've just been considering this in my head for the past few days.

I loved how a smaller cast meant more characterization and fleshing out, and I think they can do it again in TF: Prime...

But i'm going to be dissapointed if we have a small revolving cast like in Beast Wars. Again, I loved the characterization possible, but I'd love to see what the creators can do with more and more characters besides the ones we've seen.

2. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

it may go like animated did and start us off with a small cast and slowly build up to showing us more.

3. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see it being small since they are using CGI. I believe that was the main reason BW had a small cast. I liked the way Animated handled it and like the way the Avengers are doing it as well.

4. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

I hope so. While I know we may never again get the memorable combiner teams, there are some Bots/Cons I'd love to see (Lugnut, Jetfire, Sideswipe, Prowl, Ironhide, Blackout, Shockwave etc).

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep due to cgi modelling the cast will probably always stay on the short side.

Which IMO is a good thing.

6. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    If they can find a good reason for it. I just hope it's not ghost-towned as a result. It's the modern US, it's going to have people in it.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well for at least the robot part we already got an excuse for small cast.

Cybertron is dead and pretty much everybody went their own separate ways, some are lost, some are trying to reform groups, that explains why Prime got such a small team on Earth. Megatron's team being tiny excuse will probably be HIS ELITE TROOPS ONLY.

8. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

well, they could use BW strategy bringing SOME new characters while the series go forward and then kill some (please, some autobots... they need some killing :p ) as in BW was with Tigatron, Airazor, Dinobot, Scorponok, Terrorsaur and others
    or they could go as in Animated, having a main core characters and other recurrent characters with less characterization

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed. A smaller cast means more for each character.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Just as long as the roster gets shaken up with additions, deaths, turncoats, and AWOLers every 10 episodes or so.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

+1

This was one of Beast Wars/Machines' strengths IMO and if Prime follows suit, it could make a massive difference.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I feel like it's a mixed bag.

On one hand with a smaller cast it's gives characters a chance to shine. They can kind of dig deeper into a character when they are getting more than two or three lines every couple of episodes. The group dynamic also becomes more important when you aren't mixing and matching characters every so many episodes because you need to sell a toy over you need to tell a story.

On the negative side things can get a bit stale and it's hard to feel epic when it's the same tiny cast all of the time. While the fight between this hero and that villain can be nice there are times when you long for something huge and epic.

At times the small cast shows can feel claustrophobic when you know there is so much more to the universe but you feel trapped with just what you have. As much as I loved Beast Wars there were weeks when I wished more of the protoforms would land just to shake the dynamics up a bit and to add a new flavor instead of reheating the same meal over and over.

Guess the other bad side to a small cast is that after 25 years we've all developed a list of Autobots and Decepticons we want to see in a cartoon again. A chance to see how the character could be modernized and an excuse for Hasbro to do a toy of the character. Sort of like how I'm a villain fan so I'm excited for the new Avengers cartoon because it means villains I haven't seen for years on TV now get a shot.

With all the talk about how important the story and characters are for the series it should be interesting to see how they manage to weigh out the positives and the negatives of a smaller cast.

13. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We already know there's going to be loads of drones, so I can see the cast of real characters being quite limited.

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haven't all TF shows since BW had a small cast? I don't think there has been a cast over 10 on either side unless you start counting guest stars. I think RID might have gone over it due to the spychangers.

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I hope it has a small cast at first, but when it expands I want it to do like BW did. The bots gain a new member, then the cons do as well.

16. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3D renders cost money, which is probably why the Decepticon soldiers ALL look the same, save for some key characters. I think we've seen all that we're going to see for the Autobots during its first season.

Second, third, fourth or whatever seasons we get later on down the road will most likely introduce a few characters per side at a time, I wouldn't expect a whole lot.

I don't mind the small cast myself, as I'd rather they focused on the story rather than trying to fatten up their wallets.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm rather worried about the over use of drones. Just not very exciting in the Clone Wars cartoon when the Jedi are taking out groups of drones so I'm a bit worried about the Autobots easily taking down large groups of drones.

Arcee vs Soundwave just sounds more exciting that Arcee takes out 6 of the same sort of drones she took out last week.

18. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...but what if the Decepticon drones are more like the Clones? They look the same but are uniquely different. They have character (as do the battle droids, actually) it's hard NOT to like them.

19. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like others, I'm happy with a smaller cast since those characters will get more time to be developed and fleshed out. Rather than the G1 route of lots and lots of characters but most of them having nothing to them other than a special ability, cool alt mode or different accent.

However, I do hope we get the Animated approach of a few new characters weaving in and out of the stories now and again, it certainly keeps things interesting.

20. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Energon/Cybertron were almost all CG and had loads of characters.