A KO in the strangest place...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by galvatron1701, Apr 12, 2010.

1. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Hi all,

Over the weekend I paid a visit to a vintage toy seller I know. He sells many different vintage toy lines, and often has some nice TF's available. From what I understand, all his TF's come from second hand sources, i.e people who have grown up.

I was amazed to see a gorgeous boxed Springer, and my heart almost skipped a beat! Alas, as soon as I picked it up I realised it was a KO. The box had no damage at all, there was no celler tape markings, Trypticon's head was missing from the back and the bottem of the box proclaimed the figure to be named 'Octane'!

I tried to tell the shop owner that it was a KO, but he was convinced other-wise. He said that many sellers at conventions who only deal with TF's agreed it was vintage, and that the misname was a common mistake on TF packaging.

I left it at that. The reason I'm writing this is because I am amazed at seeing this KO in such a shop. I don't know where he got it from, possibly a convention, but to find a brand new KO in a vintage shop was quite perplexing, for me atleast!

I guess it goes to show how greatly Knock Offs have seeped into the market.

2. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Many dealers have been duped. I remember one time at botcon when a dealer had an obvious knockoff Diaclone Devastator and I could not convince him otherwise.....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, poor guy got duped. :( 

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    What's that supposed to mean?

5. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

er...people who had them as kids, grew up and either sold them or had their parents find them in the loft and sell them?

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I've found many dealers and collectors not doing most their buy/selling online are unaware that KOs even exist. Unless you're a TF forum user you're chances of know the differences are slim.

A somewhat local collector I know got ripped off by a guy on craigslist for a "G1" collection. I haven't talked to him in a while and never found out the results of bringing the guy to small claims court.

7. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

Yeah, and probably gone and bought a life too.. eeehh. Wasn't that obvious what he meant?

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly why KO fans' arguments that "people should do their research" and "KOs aren't harming anybody" completely fall apart. For those comparatively few fans who are hooked up on forums everyday, sure we know the KOs. But to others out there?

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, that sucks... but it happens... my LCS had me check out a few g1 dinobots that were MIB, the boxes just looked too damn nice and new, but the guy who sold them is pretty up front about things being KO's... unless of course he didn't know... but he also tried to tell me about toys all the time that didn't exist when i worked at the store, so who knows... hopefully he didn't pay too much for it...

10. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Thats the weird thing, it was marked up at only £45. He had a lovely mib Wreck-gar for £59. Either he really knew it was a KO and priced it as such, and then just hoped to sell it as an original, or he put it low because it wasn't shifting.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    hmm... interesting... maybe he's had it for awhile and had marked it down, or he got it cheap so is passing the savings along to his customers... even though its a KO... and he doesn't seem to know...

12. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two years ago on Ebay somebody had a Rumble/Ravage cassettes still in the package up for bid.

It looked brand new. So I sent an email to the seller asking him if it is a knockoff. He admitted that it is. So since he was being honest, I went ahead and bidded and won.