A huge gift for all TF fans.

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Leadfoot, May 12, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Imagine if you will, the sheer enormity of the phenomenon of a game like Halo or Call of Duty. Millions of gamers chomping at the bit to get their hands on the latest game, newest downloadable content, and best achievements. Toys, clothing and other merchandise flying off shelves. These are games made by gamers, for gamers, with the ultimate goal always being enjoyable playability, the results unquestionably, consistently, successful. The biggest video games are in and of themselves, iconic brands.

The Transformers brand is an established cultural phenomenon of its own, with millions of hardcore loyalists worldwide, most of whom primarily the product of Generation 1 fandom. Now with the success and prominence of the live action movie franchise, the property is without a doubt stronger than ever. The Transformers are now eminently visible, universally known. But hardcore fans have been left somewhat cold by what they've seen in the movies and accompanying games. Many of them long for something more intelligent, more interactive, and more respectful of the original source material.

Enter High Moon Studios and their idea to give the fans just that. A new video game that starts with enjoyable playability and layers well researched, intelligently written Generation 1 inspired Transformers content over it. Unlike a movie-based game, tied to material fans are skeptical of - and limited by the time crunch of churning out a quick game for maximum profit and minimum playability - a game created by a skilled team inspired by the most successful gameplay standards of the industry.

This has the potential to open up a new door for all TF fans. Should the game succeed as anticipated, it will combine a video game explosive in popularity with a much beloved property that already has legions of supporters. It will unite Transformers fans with gamers less familiar with the property in the simple joy of playing a great video game and, in the process, bring in countless new loyalists.

It has already spawned a new toyline and to some degree rewritten Transformers lore. It already has hundreds of thousands of us in eager anticipation. Even if it doesn't turn out to achieve the glorious goals I mentioned above, I'd just like to say to High Moon, thanks for the gift.

2. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :thumb  :thumb  :thumb 

Hear Hear!

I hope if Matt Tieger becomes a bajillionaire, he gets to buy the whole Transformers license, maybe even all of Hasbro and hopefully he should be to Transformers what George Lucas is to Star Wars, maybe even better lol.

And for the Transformers live-action reboot, I am nominating Matt Tieger to direct it! :D 

3. DinobotGrimlock

DinobotGrimlock Well-Known Member

I second that. Finally some one who seems to understand how to create with inspiration.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the many Matt Tieger videos up online confirms that Transformers: War For Cybertron synchs up with the start of the G1 cartoon. It’s not just an inspiration :D 

I DO thank High Moon Studios for what they’ve done for us, and I’ll thank them again on 6/22 with a day one purchase:rock 

5. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed even though the roster is questionable.

6. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    heh

i for one am looking forward the day when we see these in movie theaters:

DreamWorks SKG

Paramount - A Viacom Company

DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures Present...

In Association with Hasbro and High Moon Studios...

A Matt Tieger Film

:D 

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Well, maybe it is a gift, but it's the kind of gift you still have to pay for out of your own pocket.

Though at least it looks from all indications that it'll actually be worth the purchase.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I know the game will play well enough and be a huge hit with the fan base but some reason I still have. this nagging feeling that even though its a solid gam3 most gamers will overlook it. Call it a gears of war re-skin and lump it as "just another TF game"

I desperately hope that feeling is wrong

Still, this is probly my most anticipated game of the year. Can't wait til June!

9. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I have the same feeling Josh does, that the game won't be "felt" by the hardcore gaming community. Us TF fans will probably pick it up day one, but the harcored gamers will probably write it off as "kiddish", or think it's just tied to a new TF show, rather than being a seperate entity. But the fans have been given a gift here. It's great way to tell the story of Cybertron, and it's a great environment to construct a game in. I really hope it succeeds, because a sequel on Earth = epic.

10. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Well I'm not really much of a gamer, but I think it has a decent chance. It's different enough from what's out there for people to give it a shot.

I reckon there's a lot of casual transformer fans out there. People who maybe don't frequent the websites or seriously collect the toys, but are familiar with the material and are open to a good TF game.

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Word of mouth is going to be this game's greatest asset.

12. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i thank high moon and matt WFC looks killer and i for one can't wait for next month to get here. it will be my first game in years.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very well written post, and I completely agree. To me, WFC does and always has seemed like a fan-service kinda thing.

Go HMS!

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Or it will create an even bigger fraction between older fans and people that are new to the franchise because of the game. In every (nerdy) hobby there's also some sort of disdain for newer people. Like you started with it a long time ago and now these kids think they can just come and play along.

I don't think this game is going to have a massive impact. I'm sure it will sell well, even among people who aren't die-hard TF fans, but it's not going to change the world.

15. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I doubt that this will be anywhere near a genre or line defining moment.

If we're being honest (and I refer to the multiplayer) it's essentially Revenge of the Fallen's MP crossed with the Call of Duty formula (3 perks, er sorry abilities, kill streak bonuses etc). It will probably sell well for about two weeks. How the OP can contend that it's 'well written' when all we know about it thus far in terms of story content are character bios (essentially taken from G1) and the basic gist of the story I don't know.

Personally I hope that it doesn't define the future direction of the franchise. It's a bit bland.

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if a watered down Gears of War with transformers replacements will define anything other than the next games for a franchise that never really focused on the games it got.

17. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I hate to say it but it feels like we're the only ones following this game so closely. Most non fans I talk to are just writing it off.

I appreciate and love all the things they put into this game for the fans (and this game really is tailor made for TF fans) but "average Joe know nothing" probably won't even notice it at first.

It's gonna take word of mouth to get this out to a wider audience because honestly I feel like only TF fans are paying attention.

It's funny. I've always wanted us to be catered to like this but it could be this games biggest weakness. A blessing and a curse if you will.

18. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    The general success of this game depends solely on how well received it is by (professional) game reviewers. If it can score an eight and above it should be successful, anything lower however, for a new (game) IP usually means mediocre sales, I do not necessarily agree with that way of looking at games (“anything less than an a eight is not worth someone’s time” ) however, thus seems to be the reality.

Back on topic, I truly appreciate High Moons efforts into bringing Transformers for a more mature audience. For me, having Transformers aimed towards an older demographic was the one thing that I felt the franchise lacked. Seeing the Teaser Trailer brought a sense of excitement that I have not had felt since I first saw the Generation 2 marvel comics commercial (G2 TV intro), I just hope that Transformers War for Cybertron has a better affect I mass audiences then Generation 2 did.

19. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

I was wondering that as well.

I think I'll leave the gushing until I find out if the game is actually any good or not.

I certainly don't see this game being anything special thus far.
    An enjoyable romp with plenty of fanservice for the nerds? Yeah.
    But something embraced by the gaming masses? No.

A gift to all Transformers fans?

Well only if you're a "Hardcore" loyal G1 fan according to the OP's opening post.

20. warhokie

warhokie Well-Known Member

Here are my two bits... as one with a foot in both worlds I am a huge TF fan as well as a avid gammer.... the second this game was anounced and its play style was linked to both Gears of War and COD... I was in... infact.. my preorder has been paid in full at Gamestop since Feb.9th. With that out of the way.. do I think we will see monster sales the first day/week thsi game comes out... no... will the TF faitful be enought to get it some media attn... most likely.... The way I see it... is the game will launch... Hopefuly with some fan fair from PSN and XBox Live... it will be reviewd (Game Informer already has doen a couple of positive write ups). If this game lives up to the hype... after a few weeks and word of mouth.. sales will pick up.. will it be pass Modren Warfair2... prob not.. but it belive with what has been anounced so far it will make an impact and hopefuly start a brand new franchise that will be enjoyed for a long long time....as far as the it beeing called a Gears reskin... that hasn't stoped games in the past... you have Gears of War.. and GoW2 and GoW3... and dear lord.. look at the Call of Duty games.. with Black Ops just anounced... my count has them at 7 games now that are at heart the same game... same goes for HALO (Reach makes 5 not counting the RTS)... if it ain't broke.. dont fix it.... Like I said.. I'm not saying next blockbuster.. but some of the best games of all time released to next to small number and built over time to be very sucessful