A Good Transformer Story...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Plastic Man, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

True story.

I have not told this one on this site yet. And you guys can all relate.

So you need to hear it.

Around September 2007 I went to my local Marcs store. If you don't have a Marcs around you it's like a discount food store but they have some toys, tools, and mostly junk from China. Went to the toy isle and I saw some transformers. I was pretty shocked because I had never seen them there before.

They had a cybertron Mudflap for $7.99, a cybertron Leobreaker for $7.99, and 3 cybertron supreme Starscreams for $18.99 a piece.

So I put the Mudflap, the Leobreaker, and 1 Starscream in my cart and paid and left.

I had never collected any Cybertron because I wasn't into it back then when they came out. But I had bought these just to have and open for fun.

Went home and looked up what they were worth on ebay and it blew my mind.

Leobreaker was selling for $125 MISB??!!??!! WTF!!!1!!11!??

Starscream was about +$50??!!

Mudflap was only about $30.

I flew back to Marcs and put the other 2 Starscreams in my cart and scoured the shelves looking for anything I missed. Nothing else unfortunately.

So I went back through the same line, and the cute cashier gave me a funny look, like "you dork." I was so ecstatic with glee I was just bursting. I told her I was going to make more money selling these figures than she was going to make working here all week! Just to save a little face and act like they weren't for me! lol

But then I did put the Leobreaker on ebay because I could not open that. No way. I was unemployed at the time and I just had to sell it before I woke up from this dream. Besides, I almost didn't buy it at first!! I didn't like the look of it but I figured what the hey, for $7.99 you can't do wrong.

I put it on auction starting at $9.99. Near the end two guys just fought each other until it got to $225!!!!!!!!!!!

NO BULLSHIT. That's not even including shipping.

It felt like robbery.

The guy paid promptly and here's the feedback he left me:

"can't believe I'm paying this much. but gotta have it for the collection."

I couldn't believe it was true. I had to spend some of the money in my paypal account to fully realize it before I even shipped it out to the poor soul.

So that's my story. I went to Marcs at least once a week for the next couple months with no luck. Heck, I went to multiple Marcs all over the area, but nothing.

Ended up keeping the Mudflap and selling 2 of the Starscreams for a measly $40-$50 a piece. I forget the exact numbers but it was nothing compared the the sacred LEOBREAKER.

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    wow

3. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congradulations, and welcome to capitolizm.

In before "ZOMG Scalper!" hate.

4. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    great find

5. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I've done this myself. When I saw the Sam's Club Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus 2-pack(RID figs in Cybertron packaging) I had to have one. Ended up finally getting one to come up on E-bay and bid. Won it for like $70 bucks. When I sold my collection last year, I put it up. Little did I know that there would be a crazy bid war, and it ended up selling to a guy in Japan for $225! I mean, it's MISB, but geez, you can get these figs loose for $40-50 or less if you try. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if someone wants it bad enough, there you go...

6. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

a little off topic, but the two guys fighting part reminds me of some fanart I sold at a con a few years back that wasn't even finished for 125 bucks. these two girls just fought back and forth and it blew my mind. I couldn't believe someone would take interest in an unifinished picture.
    not too shabby for being 17 years old.
    nice profits there P-Man :3

7. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Congratulations, you're a jerk.

8. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Marcs? Never heard of it. Where are you located?

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Wow, over 200 bucks for Leobreaker. Nice return investment on a pretty crappy toy.

10. Plastic Man

Yeah, I might deserve that, but I hate it when cashiers give me grief for purchasing stuff from their place. And in this particular case I was just so thrilled to have found these guys I was like "WHAM biotch! Don't give me shifty eyes." I didn't really say that, but you know.

11. Plastic Man

Cleveland Ohio, fo sho