A Go-Bots What if?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backscatter, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm been seeing a lot of postings on Go-Bots on this site recently. We all know Transformers won the hearts and minds of most fans since the 80's. Here's a site that draws comparisons:

http://www.geocities.com/planetsabretron/gobots.html

Ok. Alternate Universe. The Go-Bots out sell the Transformers. Transformers don't make it past the MTMTE pilot. Rock Lords never saw the light of day.

Imagine if the creativity that went into the Transfomers had been applied to the Go-Bots.

Where do you think the Go-Bots would be today? Would we have seen Go-Bots the size of Fort Max? Would there be as huge a fan base? Would the Go-Bots have lasted 20+ years?

For me IMHO, I don't think so. Why? I used to watch the Go-Bots before the Transformers appeared on television. I never wanted to buy a Go-Bot. (Until they went on serious discount).

Does the alternate universe sound like a nightmare or could you have lived with it?

2. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

GO-BOTS were cool, but just dont have the same spark as Transformers. Not in depth enough.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think Go-bots just didn't have what it took back then to evolve properly (like the way Transformers did.). Transformers were just better. Besides, the name Go-bots is kinda lame...

Also, link dosen't work.

4. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

A Leader-1 that was heroic and caring like Optimus.
    A Cy-Kill who was maniacal and ruthless like a blend between Megatron and Galvatron.
    A Coptor who a was master strategist like Cyclonus.
    A Scooter with a fan following like Bumblebee.
    A Turbo with a personality like Jazz.

This would be one crazy alternate universe

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later. "

Oh well, it's not my site. It was working when I made this thread.

6. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    For me, the short answer would be no.

Go-Bots had a few nice designs and some cool looking alt. modes, but it wasn't enough to win me over back then and it sure ain't now.

I don't remember how big the bases were, but I thought they were near the size of Fort Max, maybe a little shorter, so I'd say Go-Bots went about as far as it could have gone, even without TFs as competition.

Oh and the link still doesn't work.

7. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Gobots had terrible marketing. The cartoon and most of the names were stupid.

However, they were, for the most part, excellent toys. Frankly, the Gobots that were were far superior to similarly sized Transformers (Bumblebee, Swerve, Cliffjumper, Brawn, etc.).

I have Leader-1, Pathfinder, Turbo, Blaster, Jeeper-Creeper and many others as a proud part of my collection.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Dude, if Go-Bots had made it, I would want only one item out of that series:

MASTERPIECE TUX.

9. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    It'd be Masterpiece Royal T for me.

God, I miss that toy.

10. trebleshot

News Credits:

And give him a diamond-topped pimp cane that doubles as his drivetrain!

Actually, I wouldn't mind an MP Pathfinder, too.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    In all seriousness, the Gobots World War 2 fighters they did were really neat toys. Additionally, some of the Gobots military vehicles had some really nice attention to detail. They rivaled some of the '84-'85 bots on accuracy to an alternate mode.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

We'd be having fandom skirmishes over who was better or more responsible for Go-Bots: Tonka or Bandai

13. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Gobots were cool as I loved almost anything in terms of a transforming robot as a kid but I dunno?Puzzler was cool as I even liked the power suits but I have always thought of them as a poor mans tfs as thats why I guess I had a few as a kid.Damm gas station gobots! anyways maybe if the cartoon was better it might have helped but some of the names were just too laim Sparky,Scooter,Tank?So I think for it to have worked they would have needed to trash most of the names and show and start fresh.

14. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I think i remember actually playing with the gobots more than TFs when I was a wee one.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the two main things that (to me at least) tipped the scales in the favor of TFs over GBs are:

Go-Bots had less overall variety in the toyline. They came in regular and "super" sizes, and a few one-shot items like Zod and the HQ/Bases. By it's second year, TFs had robots in several sizes, price points, and gimmicks.

The Go-Bots cartoon by Hanna-Barbera was, while I haven't seen enough of the Go-Bots 'toon to give a decent opinion on story quality, definitely more 'cartoony' looking than that other action-adventure show about large mode-changing fighting robots.

I liked a lot of Go-bots. Flip-Top (Seasprite helicopter) was a favorite of mine. Many if not most Go-Bots were more sophisticated than Transformers of a similar size.

Quick question for those more "in the know" on Go-Bots. As Transformers progressed, it became more of a collaborative effort between Hasbro and Takara for toy ideas and such. Did Bandai and Tonka work together in a similar way, or was Tonka mostly just a distributor for Machine Robo toys to the North American market? (A bit like the start of TFs)

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

my viewpoint on them always was that gobots were better to play with because they were simpler to transform. hell, most of them you either folded in half or stood up on their car's back end to turn into robot mode. the other thing was they were die-cast and didn't really have much to break. however, that was also their main downfall. they were TOO simple for their own good. however, I realize this has nothing to do with the initial post, so I'll just stop now. ;) 

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well the paint sure was easy to break, that's for sure.

Here's a question. What the hell would Go-Bots: Beast Wars have looked like? Or even Generation 2?

18. trebleshot

News Credits:
    ^--- *shudder*

19. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Tonka was simply in charge of distribution and marketing. Had Bandai of America been in full swing rather than a small import operation that only offered GoDaiKin and Spacewarp I think the show and marketing would have been a completely different story in the toy aisles and in todays view of the GoBots. With the Machine Robo series that have come since I think GoBots would have advanced fairly well with the additions of the CG, Winner Robo, Machine Robo Rescue, and now Mugenbine incarnations. The toys had their share of dogs, but so do TF's...Hasbro has shown the power of a good marketing campaign (Including cartoon choices) and that made all the difference.

Bandai has a HUGE history of cool robots that could have been added to "GoBots" or "Machine Robo" as easily as they did to make the GoDaiKin line....

20. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I think that what Go-Bots needed was that they had Sunbow doing the show (their existing series is a piece of slag). Maybe if they inported Machine Robo here, the line might still be at war with Transformers