A gimmick I'd love to see in a future TF main line

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cheebs, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    One thing Armada had going for it was you got 2 'bots for the price of one. Everybody seemed to like that. The problem was the stupid use of the 2nd 'bot (and the horrible sculpts, but that's another story).

Anyway, instead of having a tiny airplane that bolts on to a large car or something stupid like that, I'd love to see a line where the smaller 'bot becomes an integrated part of the large 'bot's alt mode. Sort of a Duocon idea. The gimmick could greatly reduce kibble on the big 'bot since the large chunks of kibble could be removed and turn into the little 'bot.

For example, look at Cybertron Wing Saber. The entire front end of the jet just folds onto his back in 'bot mode. I say remove it and have it transform! Or something like the roof on Cybertron Downshift, or the jet nose on Cybertron Soundwave, or the back end of the car on Cybertron Crosswise. Any part of the alt mode that isn't terribly useful in 'bot mode comes off and transforms into a little 'bot.

Ultra and Leader size figures could have several kibble-bots. Something like Energon Galvatron for example. His jet nose could form one 'bot and his wing assembly could form another.

C'mon Hasbro. You know you want to do it. After the movie line perhaps?

2. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

A Duocon-ish idea wouldn't be bad for one or two toys... but for a whole line? :redface2:  Wouldn't it end up working out like the Energon combinations that made virtually no one happy?

If it was one or two toys, or maybe a small sub-group (no more than five, say), I can see them putting in the resources to do justice to the idea, though.

Personally, I'd like to see a return to the Geewun idea of just jumbling up a bunch of gimmicks in one line, instead of the "one gimmick fits all" of Armada/Energon/Cybertron. In fact, the best thing about Classics so far is that none of the toys have any gimmicks to speak of. Seems like a big, refreshing change after three years of nothing but gimmicks! :D 

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Nah... I'm not talking about making every little 'bot able to combine with every big 'bot. Each little 'bot only goes with it's partner big 'bot.

Essentially I'm saying instead of having large chunks of kibble hanging off of the robots, remove the kibble and have it turn into a little dude. Don't see how that hurts the playability of the main 'bot in any way (like the Energon combination did).

4. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Sounds like a mix of Minicons and Powermasters, but it does sound cool.

My idea is similar, but it would be different a bit. The extra robot kibble wouldn't form another robot, but the "kibble" would form various weapons and armor pieces for the deluxe figures. The "kibble" pieces could also transform and form secondary robots using two different robots' parts.

Basic figures would be different. Each one would be a small triple changer of sorts. They would have vehicle, robot, and weapon or armor mode. They could combine with the deluxe figures' armor pieces.

Voyager figures ($20) would have multiple pieces, or dedicated figures that mainly would be part of the main robot in a critical fashion, unlike the deluxe figures. This means something like head and torso in robot mode, and arm, or a weapon.

Ultra figures ($30) would be a combination of deluxe and voyager classes. They would have armor pieces that would form combinal robots with other deluxe figures, and the voyager class' powermaster type figures.

Leader figures ($40) would be simple and to the point. They would essentially be super-sized voyager figures with lights and sounds, with a bigger robot partner. No fancy armor, super modes, or anything ridiculous.

Finally, it would be the supreme ($50) figures. These behemoths would have no less then three voyager class figures that would combine. They would be "city" types, like a Metroplex, Fortress Maximus, with head hunter parts and other figures being target masters and other parts.

The cool part about my line is each figure, irregardless of size, would be articulated and have interchangability.

5. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    And it's all fun and games until you loose a peice. :D 

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The only gimmick I want is that a cool looking vehicle (or occasional robotic animal) turns into a cool looking robot.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    FTW!

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    we had a duocon. energon omega. he was lame. the end.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Energon Omega was not lame. He's actually a pretty sweet toy.

One gimmick I want to return is BASE BOTS. For the love of god give me a freaking playset already >_<

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    primus is a base bot. he has that pilates mode.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Primus is *not* a base bot. Unicron is not a base bot. Hell, Tidal Wave is better than either of those two. He has SEATS!

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I have my megalo convoy's alt mode as a base :p  same as fort max for the legs, attach the minicon target masters to the ports in their weapons modes, the arms and sparkdrinker as towers, head as turret and his minicon partnet attached to bucket as turret. its just small, and he's a big ass bot *L* that's the sad part. that, and its a fan-mode, not a mode the toy was officially designed for, which is what you mean, and what I completely agree with. they should design a few. like, 3 or 4... so that they work just fine on their own, BUT where you can connect them together to magnify the size of the base! THAT would kick ass.

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto. Couldn't say it better. :thumb 

14. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    many armada minicons become part of the larger bots. Jetfire, Cyclonus and Demolisher spring to mind. Unicron, Sideways and Scavenger aren't half-bad either, but Starscream's minicon integration may be stretching it a bit.

15. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

Wich occasionally combines with other bots or have super modes in a limited fashion that makes sense.

16. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

I want Targetmasters again!

Triple changing minicons that can be a handheld weapon, a vehicle, and a robot. The only minicon ports I want to see are either on the forearm, to give an arm cannon (Vector Prime, Armada Megs, Metroplex), a wrist mounted melee weapon, or a shield. Maybe on the shoulders also. No gimmicks outside of that. I don't want shit to light up when I put something inside the toy. I don't want to see weird crap flipping out of some place when a tiny car gets attached to the hood.

Just minicons that become weapons for regular 'bots. The end.

17. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I agree with your idea. In fact it's something I've thought about for many years. What's cool about your discription though is that it adds new reasoning for the gimic.... kibble reduction.

18. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Exactly.

19. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

The gimmick i would like to see, is kinda a mix of everything we've gotta in the base few lines.

Transformers that just transform.

Transformers that can combine with their base (ie E Landmine and Bulkhead and Optimus Prime).

Have larger combiners like what we had in RID (Landfill, RailRacer) but have more to combine like 6 deluxe figures that form Devastator, but still keep smaller combiners like the ones we got in Energon.

I like the minicons that became weapons and and heads (Headmaters) but stay away from the ones that unlocked special powers.

Keep the Optimus idea with him combining with selected others.

and get rid on some of the class sizes. keep Basic, Deluxe, Mega and Supreme.

20. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I want the return of the Headmasters! E. Omega was a great start... now bring us some smaller bots!