a general DVD question - BluRay vs. HD DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JetBrawn, Aug 22, 2007.

1. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

This question was born out of the recent announcement on the TF movie being first released in HD DVD. Though not directly related to the TF movie, this was the most applicable board to post in.

What's the difference between these 2 formats? I'm assuming they're noncompatable with the competing format. I've only heard of BluRay, as with the PS3, which seems to be much more popular.

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Blue ray holds 10 times as much info, HD holds 6 times, otherwise the big difference is which movie company picks what. Both are high definition and though the initial Blueray players were outrageous in price, they are now starting to come down.

3. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

4. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

so, the discs and machines are non-compatible?

why must there always be a VHS vs. Beta - type war until one loses out? Free enterprise I guess...

5. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    yeah beta was supposed to be better too, blue ray could go that way if the marketing isnt careful

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Right discs are not interchangeable with the machines.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    In regards to the PS3, what alot people didnt get was that for $600, you got a video game machine with a Blueray player and regular player. With xbox 360, for $400 you only got the video game machine and had to buy the HDDVD player separately for $200! But Deceptifocus is right, it does depend on marketing as seen by this example. People who got the Xbox 360 scoffed at the PS3 price tag but had to spend just as much in order to see HD movies.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Or they just realized that it was a colossal waste of 600 bucks....

But not to get into any arguements. I don't think people should take sides just yet on the HD/BluRay war, simply because it could potentially go either way..hell both could end up being huge failures. It's just too soon for HD and BR, as high def is not even close to the standard yet.

9. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Here's a question. If I went out tommorow and bought a Blu-Ray player (trust me I aint going to, this is hypothetical) would I be able to play my 250+ DVDs (non HD) on it?

For the record, I am not wasting money on High Def until one or the other wins out. And even then, I will only start buying Hi Def if:
    1. I can still play my current DVDs on the same player and
    2. I ever get an HDTV

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

The answer is yes for both formats/players.

11. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Cool. I admit, Ive been avoiding this issue so deftly, that I have little knowledge, but I think I would lean towards Blu-Ray for the added info storage.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. I don't have the spare money to splash out only to end up backing the wrong horse.

13. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

I think that will win it for blu-ray bacause of the implications for writable blu-ray disks - in the computer realm - more storage = win.

Also - the computer manufacturer Dell are comitted to blu-ray and it wont be long before we start seeing PC's shipped with these drives as standard (blu-ray writers are already an optional upgrade on all dell PC's). Coupled with the PS3 - it will make blu-ray far more accessible to the average home. Blockbuster video stores have also comitted to blu-ray - so from the video rental POV as well, blu-ray is on to a winner.

Join the campaign to try and change Paramounts decision:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=14312

also - Fox and MGM have announced an aggressive Blu-Ray release strategy:

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/fox-and-mgm-gets-back-in-the-blu-ray-game/4679

14. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

HD-DVD - After the entire European PS3 debacle and how Sony's attitude is towards their competitors and consumers alike, I no longer see Sony as a trustworthy or reliable company. - Thus, I no longer support them or their products.

I had a PS3, but I returned it after I discovered the system is nothing as it was praised to be, and did nothing more than suck my wallet dry with add-ons and extra adapters just to play my older PS1/2 games. In the end, the system bricked and broke down 1 week after purchase.

No thank you Sony. I had faith in your company, but you continue to disappoint me.
    I'm supporting HD-DVD.

15. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    There is one combo player out there, the LG BH100 High-Definition HD DVD/Blu-ray Player. It's the first combo player but I have read mixed reviews about it.

Link

16. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    you can get a hd-dvd player for under 250

17. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    I suddenly realise I see Blu-Ray movies in the stores often enough, but I don't think I've ever seen HD-DVD.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive noticed that both formats arent selling well. Theyve been advertising alot of "buy so and so player and get 5 HD movies or 5 Blue ray movies". And alot of you guys are right, I wouldnt spend money on these formats now until either one of them truly wins or they start pricing like regular DVDS. Personally I hope its BlueRay.

19. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Sony has a tendency of trying to create proprietary formats alot because of the Royalties their company will make from it. Just see beta, mini-disc UMD memory stick etc etc.

Typically all the formats sony creates that get them royalties tend to flop or stagnate, BUT the formats that sony has been part of a group on ( No Royalties mind you ) have been very successful like the conception of DVD.

I think in the end most manufacturers unless they are getting kickbacks do not like paying a competitor ( SONY ) royalties to create media and would rather a free consortium.

20. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think UMD can really be tied in to all this. Do you think they really expected companies to make third party UMD players? I'm not sure they would even allow that.

I think their UMD was more of a copy protection issue.