A Further Benefit To Animated's Human-Villains Phenomenon.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Monte Williams, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Monte Williams

Monte Williams Deconstructicon

I'm watching "Thrill of the Hunt" (with my daughter, as usual), and so far only a couple episodes of Animated have featured a Decepticon as the primary antagonist, and of course Lockdown's not technically a proper Decepticon.

It's no secret that this tendency towards human rather than Decepticon villains has been a chief criticism of the Animated series. However, I would argue that it is one of the strengths of the series.

Neil Gaiman once said that when he was writing Sandman, he'd think of it as a movie, and he tried to treat protagonist Morpheus as if he were a million-dollar actor; limiting his appearances lent said appearances more impact.

I'd suggest that the same holds true for Decepticons in the Animated series; "Thrill of the Hunt" is thus far the darkest and most poignant episode (of the admittedly very few I've seen, though I'm making my way through the first two seasons by way of Netflix), and much of that has to do with the "Oh shit, here we go!" feeling one gets whenever a Decepticon shows up.

Further, I have seen critics of Animated argue that the Generation 1 series was, whether one is willing to acknowledge its glaring faults or not, superior to Animated simply because it was more, and I quote, "badass."

While my memories of the G1 'toon are admittedly hazy at best, I don't remember any Decepticon from that series ever coming across as anywhere near as threatening as Lockdown was in "Thrill of the Hunt."

Thanks for reading.

-Monte

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's mostly because in Animated all Decepticons are war-machines.

However, many animated nay-sayers simply say that "Autobots got weaker!!! hahaha!" instead of praising the stronger Decepticons (which is what writers said, Decepticons got strongers).

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'm afraid this thread will eventually turn into a total warzone (because there's a camp that strongly agrees with you and a camp that totally disagrees) :) ..up until then, I will give my opinion and thoughts..

I think alot of people were disappointed with the human villains because, let's be honest, people want to see Decepticons. Unlike G1 or most other Transformers cartoons though, season 1 of Animated really is a build-up. Instead of putting us right into the biggest Decepticon vs Autobot action, they take things slow, slowly upping the ante. If you've watched both seasons you will notice season 2 is already more interesting to watch because there is more Decepticon activity going on, something I think will only improve once season 3 starts.

The writers obviously wanted to slowly introduce Decepticons, use them as real threats. While this means alot of episodes tend to be a bit slow, they really do work as a build-up, in my opinion. I'm sure that without proper build-up, nobody would really be interested in what Starscream was up to now, and nobody would see Megatron as imposing if he'd get his ass kicked every episode like in G1.

I guess the coin has two sides, a matter of taste people won't ever agree on. :) 

4. AMG

AMG Old School

Decepticons are just down right powerful in Animated. Especially Megatron, he comes across as a near invincible force in this series. He reminds me a lot of G1 movie Galvatron, extremely powerful and ruthless. The kind of bot who commands respect, even from his enemies.

5. Banzaitron45

Banzaitron45 Well-Known Member

I like how the writers use the human villains and the Decepticons.

6. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

Personally i like how it works, its not like the villains are plain and boring they're full of character so its all good :) 

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm a bad guys and a bad girls fan, and I've got to say that I like having some humans take over the bad guy role. Okay taking over the bad guy role that is not either a government agent or a person that is just misguided about what the Autobots want.

Just mixes it up really well so that all the humans aren't either good guys or people running from the robots. Also nice that it gives the Autobots someone to defeat without the Decepticons having to look weak.

Plus they load up the humans villains with loads of personality and that's nothing but a good thing.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The human villains are fun to watch for the most part, (for me anyway) and they are a convenient receptacle for the archetype of the "loser comedy relief bad guy" without devolving one or more Decepticons to the position

9. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest I didn't like them at first. But watching the episodes one after the other I find that I've grown to like them. Headmaster is annoying, but he is a G1 reference. I can't help but think that this reference will be explored even further in future seasons. Meltdown is also interesting what with his desire to create an organic transformer. To be honest the first Meltdown ep and Return of the Headmaster are the only human villain episodes to not have a Decepticon involved somehow. So, 1 out of 13 eps isn't bad.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even though I don't care for the series, I can appreciate the decision to make the factions of unequal strength/experience; I think that's very well-written. Who wants the same old stalemate week after week between two equal powers? Or worse, the obligatory defeat of the Decepts at the end of every episode?

That was one of the first things I heard about the series that really sounded intriguing to me in the months leading up to its release... that the Decepts would be a much more powerful - and very real - threat... to both the 'Bots and Earth.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Decepticons> SUV....like i had to say anything else.......

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I actually kinda like the human villains, they're fun.

However, Swindle really did make that episode.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree with most of this thread: I enjoy the human villians when the uber-powerful Decepticons are not appropriate.

14. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

I don't mind human villains, I just don't like the way they are executed. Meltdown should have gotten better characterization and backstory instead of some unexplained experiment failure.

Professor Princess and the Headmaster are the two villains I really dislike. Meltdown and Nanosec on the hand, I really like.

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Y'know, Headmaster is the stupidest asshole in the history of fictional nerds so...

Why EXACTLY the battle-scenes in his episodes are alot better than Meltdown's or even Swindle's fights?

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    What exactly is everyones problem with the Headmaster? Not slamming anyone, but Im actually curious as to why he draws so much hate?

17. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    The l33t speak.

It's not funny on the internet, it's less funny in the TV and not to mention that giving a character OLD INTERNETZ SP34K is the cheapest "personality quirk" one can give to a villain.

18. Banzaitron45

Banzaitron45 Well-Known Member

I laugh at the Headmaster and I love how cool his battles with the Autobots are.

19. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

That and his "origins". 0mg izaac sumdac fired me n0w im 901N9 2 D35TR0Y e \V/0RLD.

Wtf?

20. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Headmaster is annoying, but I do love the used idea as a reinterpretation of G1 Headmasters. It's just the guy's personality that's annoying! :lol