A funny thing I found out about the Myan date.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Sep 28, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
  2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm not seeing where they state that the town was indicated by the Myan "calendar". Just sounds like a bunch of nutjobs making things up on their own, no help from dead civilizations.

Though it would be incredibly ironic if the town had a huge natural disaster on the date the world is "going to end", and the rest of the world was just fine.

Edit: Anybody else get a Close Encounters of the Third Kind vibe from that image?

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

No one will be able to escape Myan-cats rainbow trail that day. Especially not in a silly village in France.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I just want the day to hurry up and pass so we can forget about it just like Y2K. It's so fucking stupid. If you think for a second that anything significant will happen on that day, you're a fool.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Exactly. You know what's going to happen on Jan 1st, 2013? You're going to wake up just like any other day. Then on Jan 2nd, 2013, you'll go right back to work/school or whatever. Then, some goofball is going to pick the next "big date" and everyone will lose their mind again.

Besides...didn't anyone ever think of the fact that maybe the Mayans just didn't have time to finish the calendar? :lol 

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes. Yes it does.

7. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    The problem is that the next day some nut job will come out saying that using every twelfth word of the book of Leviticus, he was able to calculate that God is going to wipe out humanity at 4:53 PM EST on Jan 15, 2013, and we should all send him money to pray for our souls.

Speaking of, you can send your payments to me via PayPal at.....:ev: 

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the only alternatives are "die in the apocalypse" or "go to France", I gladly choose death.

9. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I think what pisses me off most about apocalypse believers, is the fact they horde so much food and supplies. Stuff that our suffering economy needs, all because some paranoid dumbasses think the world is gonna end.

10. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    This is pretty much true, the Mayan calendar's end doesn't signify the end of the world at all, it's just the end of the Long Count, that particular calendar.
    At it's end, the Maya would've just had a massive celebration and... started a new calendar. Of course, they aren't actually around anymore to create a new one.
    Also, the Mayans had multiple calendars, around 15-20, for things like crop cultivation and cycles of the sun, but they were just calendars, the only thing The Long Count predicts is... The rise of the sun every day. That's it.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

12. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
  13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *insert joke about the end of kaijuguy's world being the death of Prime Arcee and/or the Prime series here*

14. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Haw haw haw!

15. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds like it would make a pretty good B-movie.

16. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    One thing bothers me about all this end-of-the-world nonsense: I keep seeing adverts for something on Nat Geo about survivalists in the US. If the only people who survive some sort of cataclysm are these paranoid, inbred fucktards, then maybe extinction is a better option.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Wasn't it recently discovered at a new Mayan ruins excavation that the whole predicted "end of the world" date was some kind of mathematical calculation involving some Mayan king who had a Duke Nukem sized ego or something?

That's usually what I think. I mean, if this civilization predicted their own downfall hundreds of years before even reaching the 2012 date, I'd have to think they would have decided to not bother keeping track of a history they would have no part in thousands of years in the future.

Come to think of it, modern descendants of the Mayans laugh at the idea of the 2012 doomsday prediction.

:lol 

For the record, I found your current avatar hilariously appropriate for this post.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Sure it sounds "sort of crazy", OP. Because the entire 2012-world-is-gonna-end bullshit is barking-moonbat insane!

Looking through the article you posted, it's amazing that people think that this area is going to be some sort of haven, because of the astounding series of assumptions someone would have to make for that to be the case. It's like, nesting conspiracy theories and pseudoscience/superstition until you've just got a russian doll of crazy.

19. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure 2012 wasn't when the WORLD was supposed to end, it's just when their CALENDAR ended, and they were going to switch over to a new one. Or something like that. I don't remember exactly what it was I heard.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That's pretty much it. You buy a calendar, you go through one month, you flip the page. When you get to the last page, you don't start freaking out because the world is going to end because oh man there's no page after December! That's essentially the basis of this theory, but the mayan calender used cycles that lasted hundreds of years, and 2012 is just the end of the current cycle. There would likely be some big celebrations because it's an auspicious date, but ironically, though mayan religion talks of previous earths destroyed for one reason or another (this is the 6th earth), there's no correlation or prediction involved in the calendar, according to these traditions.

So think of Dec. 21 less as a chance for the world to end, and more as a chance to celebrate "Mayan New Year". Melt some chocolate bars into a liquid state and throw some chili flakes in, go outside and party while drinking that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012