Minor/Repaint: A Few Simple Repaints

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Chaos Convoy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Here's a few things I've worked on lately.

Firstly, blue Universe Silverstreak. A simple repaint. Nothing too spectacular, but I felt it needed to be done. Done as a gift for my sister, as her favorite car is the 350z and her favorite color is metallic blue.

Secondly, Universe Cheetor. This one's actually kitbashed somewhat. I pretty much copied what another japanese kitbasher had done to his Henkei Cheetas. I removed the beast legs from his robot arms and made it so they attach to his backpack instead. They still work in beast mode, attaching to the same points they do in robot mode. I also made it so his waist can rotate 360 degrees and I swapped his beast mode rear feet to the opposite sides. I also painted on more spots, made his robot mode bits metallic and made him more show-accurate. I'm gonna paint the claws and underbelly of the beast mode sometime in the near future as well.

Starscream, I just painted up to match his Henkei version. Since the Henkei one is silver plastic with white paint, and the Universe version is light gray with silver paint, I just decided to continue that theme. I added all the details that the Henkei one has, but instead of white, I used silver.

Attached Files:

2. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Nice jobs on all of them, the Silverstreak is really awesome though. What kind of paint did you use?

3. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I have to agree, they all look good, but Silverstreak looks awesome with the blue metallic paint!

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your work on Cheetor looks good, but I don't think any amount of kitbashing can improve that toy. You get the award for coming the closest (that I've seen though). Could you provide a source link or mirror the images to the other kitbash you based it from?

Bluestreak = teh awesome. 'Nuff said.

Starscream = well, you'd already won me over with Bluestreak. I really like this Screamer toy the second time around, and you just pushed it further. Good boy!

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Bluestreak = Great!

The paint additions to Starscream are subtle, but necessary improvements. Good call!

zmog

6. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Gorillabot

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Wow the Bluestreak is especially clean, very slick work. I was thinking of doing something similar with my Cheetor, I think you've now inspired me to move forward with it.

7. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Thanks guys!

I really like how Bluestreak turned out, yeah. I took my time with it and took about a week to complete it from disassembly to final paint detailing. I just used some craft acrylic paint I got at Wal-mart. Lots of thin coats to make sure it came out nice and smooth. Then a coat of floor finish to, well, finish it up.

Here's the thread at one of the Japanese TF image boards that shows what the guy did to his cheetor. ‰ü‘¢￾EƒŠƒyƒCƒ“ƒgŠß‹ïƒAƒbƒvƒ￾￾[ƒ_￾[ He didn't paint his though, so I think it looks a bit incomplete. He did fill in the screwholes on the arms, though, which I haven't done. I may do that later on, but I dunno.

And for Starscream, I REALLY didn't like how plain he looked. He looked so...naked. I felt it was my duty to dress him up lol

8. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very cool.

9. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could you go a bit more into detail with exactly what you did to Cheetor's feet? If it's a simple operation I'd really like to get one and do the same thing, assuming it still transforms

10. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    If you look at the thread I linked to, it shows the extra parts and what exactly was kitbashed. It's near the bottom. I can't read japanese though, so I don't know exactly what he did. I just tried to copy how the parts in the pic looked as well as I could, though.

But what I did, was I stole a couple parts from my extra Armada Terrorsaur. I got a couple small pegs and sockets from his backpack (the ones that hold the jetpack/tail parts to the body) and just pretty much glued them with epoxy onto the legs and chest of Cheetor. For the waist, I took a section of missile from my Universe Powerglide that I'd cut off and made a peg that fits in Cheetor's waist. That's pretty much it. It can all be done easily within an hour or so.

It does still transform, but it's a part-former now. The legs have to come off to allow transformation, but they plug back into the exact same spot where they do in robot mode. If the pegs that hold the legs onto the backpack were, say, half a centimeter longer, then I think it'd be able to slide out enough so that the legs wouldn't need to be removed and then put back on. And it doesn't really matter how long the pegs are, either, as the backpack is hollow and nothing goes in it for transformation.

Also, to make it look like he's not shrugging anymore, well, that's just a mistransformation. Just don't plug the shoulder parts onto the square pegs on the sides of his beast neck and let them rest on the robot chest/waist kibble. It's pretty stable and doesn't move very much, especially if you tighten all the joints with super glue. I mean, it's nowhere near as stable and immovable as if transforming it correctly, but it looks a HELLUVA lot better.

11. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ALT mode?

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, we need more pics! Fifteen of each toy would be great :wink: 

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow, I didn't notice right away what you did with Cheetor, because I don't really like that figure much... but it's a tremendous improvement. That's a great mod!

zmog

14. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Thanks again, guys.

Here's a few more pics of Bluestreak and Cheetor for those wanting 'em. The last pic for Cheetor shows exactly what I did for the front legs. There's more pics that will be in the galleries I submitted for the galleries, so make sure to check those out when they're uploaded.

Attached Files:

15. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Bluestreak is da bomb. I really love the work you did on that Cheetor. He looks much more accurate now....and more spotty. :wink: 

16. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Everything looks excellent. Bluestreak is the best one, the mold looks 100x better now. Classic Diaclone Bluestreak. :thumbs2: 

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That Bluestreak is uber sexy!

18. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Blue Silverstreak FTW