A few questions for all the military folk!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unchained5150, Aug 10, 2011.

1. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear. TFW2005 Supporter

I've been milling over the idea of joining up for years upon years at this point but, a buddy I work with today was trying exceptionally hard to get me to do the buddy system with him and join the Navy. I've always wanted to join the Navy to begin with so, him coming to me for that branch versus another must be some kind of sign of Godly proportion haha. I've never really had the opportunity to join up based on family troubles or financial problems but, now that I'm free of both, it just seems like the right time, ya know? I've lived around the military overseas for the better part of the last decade so, it's really all I've known. Plus, I was raised by an ex-Navy man so, it's always been with me haha.

For those of you thinking of joining: What are your reasons for wanting to join? What branch are you wanting to go into and what job? What's the draw of the military over other options; especially with the wars going on now?

For those who have or are serving: Why did you join? What branch and field did you go into? What's your experience been like and given the opportunity, would you do it again? If you have a family, how have they coped with the commitment? I know coming from a governmental family, the moving is a big part but, I've embraced it and really love the excitement of it all but, I know there are those that completely hate the entire ordeal.

Thanks for any input guys!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Well I don't want to speak for anyone else - everyone's got a specialized role to play - but my experience has been and still is pretty damn nice. I'm in the Army and been in a few years. I've worked as a UA, a packing mule, and currently as a clerk for the higher ups at an FA BDE. My experience has been relatively good, but I'm saying that from my perspective; other jobs require a lot more commitment and can be a lot more strenuous. Basic training was a breeze, and I met a lot of cool people there that I still keep in touch with, and I might add that our Drill Sergeants were foulmouthed SOBs which made it much more tolerable IMHO. AIT sucked. My unit though is ok, and despite being relatively new to the military I work directly under my Commander and 1SG and have a pretty casual relationship with our staff. Shit my Commander bailed me out of jail once, and all it cost me was two weeks of cat-sitting (your experience may vary lol).

The only thing I hate is being inspected by officers and wtf-high end NCO's. But that comes with the territory. You can get comfortable with your job to a point, but you can't forget that you're wearing the uniform and are a part of something much bigger than yourself. You need to balance being yourself and being a professional.

Regardless of my choice or anyone else's opinions, you have to do this for you. People like to feel patriotic and spout jingoistic crap condemning those that haven't signed up, or those who wish to in the future rather than right now. It's great to be able to say you served your country, but don't forget that it's your choice and you need to be committed first. Keep in mind that, at least in America, less than 1% of the population serves in the military. Just some perspective. Whatever you choose, you choose. No pressure man, just follow your heart.

3. gil

gil Godmaster

how old are you? And dude, if your undecided right now, there's no way you'll be a S.E.A.L. That takes some dedication.

Also, joining the military is a commitment for at least 4 years. Not something you can go try, and get out after a few months if it ain't for you. You gotta decide for yourself what the military can do for you and if it's worth it.

Or you can do what I did and joined the Reserves. I joined the Marine Corps Reserve and the Unit in Hawaii is a Force Recon unit, so even though it's reserves, they don't fuck around. I can't comment on how other reserve stations are, but you can try that and there's always gonna be opportunities to go active if you feel that's right for you.

4. unchained5150

I know about the SEALs for sure. It wouldn't be right out of bootcamp that I got to do that no matter how you slice it so, I have ample time to think on that matter all on it's own. And, I know the above sounds really indecisive (I need to rewrite it, to be honest) but, I'm really not as much as it comes off. I've always wanted to join the Navy but, it's never been the right time with family troubles and financial situations but now, I'm actually free of both and it just feels like the right time. Which is why I'm wanting whatever feedback anyone can give.

Right now I'm 23 so, I've had a while to think on it and try the other things that I always said I'd try before the service and now I'm just down to the service haha. Don't get me wrong, I love my country and want to serve. I suppose it's more the fear of the unknown more than anything else but, some time you've got to step out of the boat and try to walk on the water, ya know?

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You sound a little like you've got a fantasy idea of what military life will be like. The 'barking' doesn't stop once you're out of basic...you just get called less names. ;) 

A word of advice - there's no such thing as 'half-join', even the Guard or Reserves. Either you join or you don't, and you better mean it...there's no 'just get out' for at least a couple of years, unless you're an irredeemable fuckup or get seriously injured. And you're quite likely to be sent to war, no matter what your job is - if you have a problem with that, don't join.

What are you going to do if you don't make the SEALs and there's no opening for whatever planes you want?

--Moony

6. unchained5150

Oh for sure, I wrote that really weirdly so a lot of what you have to say in the next bit was corrected lol. Anyway, like I said, I've lived around the military for the last decade or so, so I've seen how it goes haha. Still, it's something I can deal with. I was brought up by an ex-Navy man so, there are certain things you get used to after a while. The barking being the first haha.

Indeed, like I said, I wrote that out weird the first time but, now it's more in tune with how I actually feel. The 'half-join' bit was nothing really. I very much know how much of a commitment it is. I work on a military base right now and see and hear soldiers on a daily basis. Some have amazing things to say and some have the worst. I guess it's all up to the person's experience, right? I've never intended, nor counted on an easy or early out. I intend to fulfill the entire commitment.

I've always been keen on Aircraft Maintenance. Specifically Jet Engine Maintenance. There's so much potential when you get out with either one of those that, it's a guaranteed job pretty much. Besides, jets are so awesome. Haha. Though, SEALs would be pretty wicked as well.

7. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

If you want to join then in my opinion join for one reason. You want to serve. All the other bullshit reasons, like on the job training, money for college etc. etc. are the wrong reasons. Are they nice perks you get for joining? Sure they are, but if you are joining for those reasons then your time may not be as enjoyable.

I have been in the Air Force for 15 years now. I joined 1 month after I graduated high-school and haven't looked back. In the time I have been in, I've had alot of people ask me why I joined and why I continue to stay and as cheesey as it is this is the answer I give them. I joined to serve and to be a part of something bigger than myself. Is it cliche? Maybe. But it's the truth.

Oh and if you really want to work on aircraft, the Air Force is your best bet.

8. Cobalt Agent

^Shameless plug <=P

9. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Listen to Major General Smedley Butler, war is a racket. I wish my friend had read that before signing up. It might have kept her from blowing her brains out rather than do a third tour in Iraq.

10. Cobalt Agent

I'm not going to lie, bringing in the hypocritical propaganda of a pinko jackass like Butler into this discussion and justifying it with a friend's suicide is kind of a dick move. Maybe I'm just super sensitive, but dude, really?

11. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

When he died in 1940 he was the most decorated Marine in US history. I think he might know a thing or two about war.

Smedley Butler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if you want to talk about dick moves, let's talk about the song and dance she got from the recruiter about how signing up was going to solve all her monetary/educational problems, but failing to tell her the truth about what the conditions and demands of her tours would really be. I have several friends and one family member who have all done multiple tours in the last decade and none of them would recommend it to anyone.

12. Evil Porkchop

True... but if he would have said "I want to work on Helicopters". I would say join the Army.

13. Evil Porkchop

Again, signing up for the wrong reason. And not to be a dick, but never believe a recruiter and always read the fine print.

14. Cobalt Agent

Oh wow, you linked to his wikipedia article. I'm more than aware who he is. More-so than you are apparently if you're ignorant of the points I brought up, and only defense is to link to a wiki article to do the talking for you.

He also spent over 30 years participating in wars and invasions he himself labeled as the systematic rape of other countries. He had no problem reaping the benefits of being in the service and staying in uniform for over three decades, and then when that benefit runs out he spends the rest of his days whining over "American imperialism" in China and Latin America. The guy that spends 33 years taking part in opening up and raping China, the Caribbean, and Central America is the one that's going to suddenly critique the big bad military industrial complex and go giving lectures and speeches? Sorry, not buying it.

The guy was a jackass, no matter how many decorations he got. By contrast General Patton was disgraced by the end of WWII before his death and stripped of rank, and yet I'd take a Patton over a Butler any day. Butler spent his free time badmouthing his country, pushing conspiracy theories, and complaining about the military doing what he did for 33 years. Patton was proud of his service and acknowledged it as an honorable profession, while Butler went out speaking to Communist groups under the guise of anti-fascism and world peace. I think Patton would know a thing or two about war as well.

But of course Butler knew about war. He spent his life carrying it out. Then came his political aspirations and appointments, and his sympathies with troublesome organizations like the ALAWF. Next time do your own thinking instead of wanking a seditious and disingenuous fake that happened to agree with you. For every Butler or McClellan you can produce I'll produce a Washington and a Patton.

And once again don't use historical figures you don't know a damn thing about just to justify your BS pacifist beliefs in the aftermath of a friend's suicide, especially a soldier's suicide. Seriously.

I'm not going to badmouth the dead, but who the hell signs up for military duty without knowing the risks, the demands, reading their contract, and expecting the worst? Seriously. She signed the dotted line. You get what you sign for.

QFT. Absolutely. Truer words -- never before spoken.

15. Moonscream

News Credits:
    A lot of young people do, and recruiters prey on them to get their number quota. That's why when I was the personnelist for my ANG unit and got a lot of kids coming in thinking they were just going to get the educational benefits I sat their butts down and told them straight up our job is to 'break things and kill people' and that they WERE going to war if we were called up because it was a ground radio unit that would be one of the first going in to setup airstrips. Made them at least think about it, and actually had one walk out the door.

You've got a good leg up on the kids then as far as knowing what you're getting into. And I agree, if you really want to go for jet engine maintenance, go Air Force. There are a lot more opportunities for working with aircraft there.

--Moony

16. Cobalt Agent

Don't get me wrong, I know how it is. My recruiter lied to me. :lol  But I'm coming from the standpoint that you can't blame the recruiters if you're signing up for benefits without caring enough to read your own contract. It's just that you're pretty much selling part of, and sadly sometimes the rest of, your life away. I have no problem giving benefits to encourage service, but that shouldn't be the only reason. Now me, I didn't care when I got screwed because the money wasn't why I joined -- but for those that join primarily for that they damn well better make sure their contract says what they were promised.

17. Moonscream

News Credits:
    I agree, honestly. And it really doesn't serve the unit or the military to have kids who don't realize the truth is not what they were told, which is why I did what I did.

--Moony

18. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Take it from someone who knows someone that fought in a war. It's tough. But it's what you face. I knew friends and family that knew what they got themselves into. They don't regret it. There's stories and strong bonds created. Hell, you might even have been baffled that some of the friends you knew managed to turn commies into some of the greatest Super American allies and calling hotel food "quality food"!

Heck. Just remember. Sign up for the military to continue to strive for excellence and discipline. I can't say it for everyone since some already gone complaining about "bad war", and forget that the job of a soldier holds higher terms, well, guess they've just watched too many Spielberg movies.

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Become a pogue.

20. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

If its the Navy he wants to join, its highly unlikely he'll actually go to a combat zone, unless he becomes a SEAL, a Corpsman, or a Seabee.

Anyway, here's some advise from a guy who did five years active duty in the Navy (and is still a Reservist): only sign up if you are truly committed and dedicated to the decision you had made. I signed up (at age 23 as well) because I was at a point in my life where I was without any sense of direction having essentially dropped out of college and was pretty much mooching off of my parents. The job security and college money were huge incentives for me joining, and I'm definitely reaping those benefits now.

That said, it was a very difficult and frustrating time for me and it certainly was not easy essentially have five years of my given away to the Navy. Was it worth it? Heck yes! In fact, I consider joining the Navy to have been one of the best decisions I had ever made. But understand that its not a decision you can make lightly. Remember that.