Customs: a few newbie questions.....

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by the (H)i(GH)con, Dec 20, 2008.

1. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Damn, this is my 3rd post today, I'm on a roll.....

But anyways......

So the other day, me and a friend were discussing what I should do next. I was showing him some of the stuff on you guys have done, just to help him help me come up with something good. Then I showed him Anemis's BFM (Big F**kin Metroplex) he's been working on and the little lightbulb lit up over both of our heads almost at once..... I decided that I want to attempt a full sized, working boombox (only modernized, with a cd player) that transforms into soundwave. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if so, can they post a link to some pics I could use as a refference. I also was thinking that since it would be handeled quite frequently, it would be better to try and dye the majority of it. However, I have zero experience with dyes so I was wondering: A) do they make dye in purple? B) How well does dying really work? C) where would one obtain said dye? And D) would dyeing be a good choice? Like I said, it would probably be transformed back and forth quite often. Any help, suggestions, or ideas you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I really wanna do this because I feel that since I don't have much experience, a bigger project would be a good way to teach myself how to scratch-build with styrene. Plus, since I'm planning on keeping it as close to the g1 mold as possible (mostly hard angles and straight lines), it wouldn't be too much of a challenge for a newbie like myself. The only think I'm hung up on are the hands (which shouldn't be THAT hard given the size) and the head (I contacted sculpt-bot, but haven't herd back yet) since I've never molded anything before.

2. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

This is one of the best project ideas ever. I've never heard of such a thing being done.

There is one problem, though...Soundwave wasn't a boombox. He was a microcassette recorder. Truth be told, G1 Soundwave is pretty much 1:1 scale with the real thing. So either you're giving Soundwave a new alt mode (perfectly reasonable) or you might consider doing Blaster instead.

I've never used dye before, but some people here swear by it. If you were to use paints (and you probably will have to do so for detail work) you would want to seal the paint so it won't come off. The big favorite is Future floor polish.

As for where to get dye - I know Wal-Mart has a limited selection of dyes in the laundry aisle. I would imagine that craft stores would have some too. As for whether the color you need exists, I don't know - but theoretically you could mix dyes to get the color you want.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

if you figure out how to do this. i will be in awe.

4. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Start with a blue and silver boombox, if you can find one. Then you won't have to paint it as much. Less time fretting over the paint means more time to figure out transformation without compromising electronics, sound quality, etc.

I will say that if you do *HAVE* to cut into the speakers, the sound might be affected. you may want to line any pannel breaks in the speakers with foam rubber or some similar substance.

5. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Ok, I'm gonna try to reply to everyone's replies in this one reply (did that make sense??)

Spekkio: Yeah, I know blaster was the boombox, but I like soundwave better so I'm gonna upsize him.... besides, I haven't seen a tape player in years, lol.

Mechadoom: I actually never thought about using an actual boombox, that's not a bad idea, but I see what you mean about the speakers not sounding right if I split them from the body. I was actually thinking about buying this small home stereo I saw @ walmart. It's only about 14"x16" and it has detachable speakers. The coolest part though is it's one that the cd loads flat so the whole thing is like 4 inches or so thick. I thought I could use styrene to build a frame around that and do the same for the speakers/legs. It's still in the early stages of planning though. I haven't even drawn any plans up yet. But I'll keep everyone posted