A Fair Of DLC Already Done

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Forceman4077, Aug 19, 2012.

1. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    So they are charging separate for each body part? Is this a Joke?

2. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If buying these extra parts for money is the only way to get them I may have to be satisfied with what is on the disc. If the price is super cheap and I end up having some MS points to burn then I might consider it. I hope they are unlockable and the lazy/spendy people that just want to buy them instead can do so if they want.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Or, and I'm just speculating, but the parts shown in the demo may not be all of what's in the final game.

Maybe they exist merely to demonstrate the extent of parts customization, not reveal every aspect.

4. Downshift-1307

Downshift-1307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paying for on-disc characters in MP, High Moon? This is bad comedy...

Seriously, I did not expect to see HMS pulling of a Gears of War 3 on us. I can KIND OF see them charging for a whole 'bot but for separate parts?!
    Very cheeky indeed.

EDIT: A tiny part of me is glad though... I really did not fancy working my way up to Prime Status just to have Wheeljacks' parts.

5. Star Streaker

Star Streaker Decepticon

Convoy Parts...? Are they referring to the G1 Optimus Prime? Why use Prime's Japanese name though?

6. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    It's Magnus.

Which makes me hope that there's a way for someone to do art of Perceptor hooked up to him as a trailer.

7. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Bang Bang

I hope the steam version gives the dlc in sets of full bots, not a big issue just a convenience thing

8. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    if this is HMS's way of making a little bit of profit, it's brilliant. i myself would pay if it means getting more parts for my multiplayer characters for all the classes. heck i'm gonna pay if they have parts for female Cybertronians. this is cool. no problem with it.

9. Star Streaker

Star Streaker Decepticon

Most likely. Valve does control how DLC does appear in their stores, and most likely they wont like customers to be treated like that, in small parts. They'd do the whole bot.

10. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

I doubt you'll be able to buy separate parts, odds are when you buy one it unlocked the corresponding armor set.

EDIT: Okay, I was wrong... That's kind of lame, though I hate magnus' head and body but I like the arms so maybe I can just get the parts I want. Still you can probably buy the whole sets at a discount.

11. Downshift-1307

Downshift-1307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure about that anymore... after how they're ripping off their players now with their latest update...

12. Star Streaker

Star Streaker Decepticon

It's Team Fortress 2, it's F2P. It's not P2W. Every thing you get by Mann Up is simply cosmetic. Infact some of it even look tacky. You don't need to pay to play MvM, just if you want loot from playing MvM.

I'm not trying to defend Valve, but as I recall EA got pissy one day because Valve wanted people to have complete DLC, and EA wanted people to have tiny parts of it, and in response, pulled most of their new products off. Valve still cares about the players.

13. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty sure the actual story was that EA has DLC on a separate client and not on Valve servers. The way they wanted steam to operate is that all the dlc would be integrated with Steam servers to avoid issues of compatibility and make it easy for consumers to look and buy it. If you recall it was a pain in the ass getting any ME1 or ME2 DLC since you had to jump through a million hoops on Bioware social, and things like Bringing down the sky fiasco would never happen again. This gives also Valve a cut of of the DLC revenue which would prevent a F2P game loophole that you could host the game on Valve servers and sell items on another which would give Valve none of the revenue.

14. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? There is no legitimate reason as to way we should have to pay to use those characters. 3 of the models are in the game during SP and 2 can be used in Escalation!

Give me one reason it's not bullshit that they are charging us money money for characters we use in Escalation.

15. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

Because profit

16. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

Because to use a character in Campaign and Escalation requires the robot model only to be one piece, designed, scripted, and tested to work only with its own parts. Without an intimate knowledge--like, source-code-level--of the Fall of Cybertron game engine, it's difficult to say how much work is required to split the model into parts and script each part to play nice with any other part for the same character class. Same goes for the time taken to test these features.

17. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well except the fact that High Moon said they redid how they made the all character models to work with the character creator. So it took them no extra work, since all FoC models were designed from the ground up to be broken apart.

18. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

That just means that the characters were designed and modeled with a view to including them in their customization scheme, not that all the work was done right off the bat. And even if it was, consider the following:

Maybe the characters that are on-disc and enabled without additional payments/downloads account for the work budget set aside to create the base game, the part that the studio is hoping to recoup/make a profit on by way of the retail price of the game.
    Then, there's an additional budget set aside to create and test DLC. This is additional money, outside of what they spent to create the base game, that they hope to recoup/make a profit on separately by charging for DLC.
    As to the reason why the DLC is included on-disc and enabled by the downloaded key, it's because they already had the data and code necessary, so why waste additional overhead--both server-side and on the part of the client downloading the content--on having clients download the entire data, when they can instead already have the data and just download a very small access key in an extremely short amount of time, taking up less server space and occupying less time?

In other words, who's to say that what's on disc and playable without additional costs or downloads doesn't account for $60 worth of game? You'd have to ask yourself, "If I didn't know about such-and-such DLC characters, would I be satisfied to pay $60 for this game?". If the answer is yes (that is, if you can even honestly answer the question considering how difficult it is to pretend not to know something that you do), then the studio's budget planning was a successful estimate of how much things are worth. For the record, such estimates can be really difficult to make when the things you're creating have no/limited physical existence, but they have to be worth something, considering the time and effort that went into their creation.

19. Star Streaker

Star Streaker Decepticon

Also not to mention most Day 1 DLC is made in the spanning months of idle fingers. Once a Console game is complete, they have to send it to the Console Overloards to examine, look over, play, ect. It usually takes a few months, and Day 1 DLC is what they do in the meantime. Sure.. it's a bit poor taste to release it ON Day one, and on disk, instead of waiting for a month. That's how it got the bad name it does now.

Then again, there's no excuse to do it for PC Only titles, no one has to go over it, once it's done, it's shippable/downloadable.

20. UndeadMonkeyGuy

UndeadMonkeyGuy Logic Meister

News Credits:
    Day 1 DLC is frowned on and is a step towards being a total penis.

If I find out this game has Day 1 DLC I will personally find Matt Tieger, break into his house while he is sleeping, then go into his room and shave his damn fluffy beard off!