A&E's Intervention: I'm a Videoogame addict

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shaun_C, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Did anyone catch this episode of Intervention?

I mean I knew that people could become addicted to videogames. But to see this addiction in action right there in all it's reality was "jarring" I mean this guy had it HARDCORE. Playing games for hours straight, "he is so addicted to video games that he identifies himself as the characters in the games he plays and refers to other characters as people he hangs out with."Quoted from A&E's episode summary

The sad thing is that he relapsed and IIRC this woman who was like his best friend and who IMO was attracted to the guy. Was forced to back up her threat of putting the friendship on hold untill he gets help. And this woman was gorgeous and he chose videogames over her :( 

Here's a message board discussion about that episode

2. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

You're addicted to reality and faux-reality TV friend :p 

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Playing games for hours straight? What an INHUMAN MONSTER.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

My g/f is...especially the MTV crap (the channel i cant stand one bit)

playing for hours....some games take hours just to get to the first save point....as for the acting it out, that's going to far :lol 

5. Shaun_C

I should note that when I says "Hours straight" I mean 20 plus hours. To the point that after stopping he nearly collapsed afterward. In fact the person in question doesn't work, it's just games, games and games

6. honestgabe

honestgabe I

My buddy is addicted to FF 11. Played for 14 hours straight on Friday!

7. OmegaScourge

i was that way when i got back home from Basic Training/Advance Individual Training...no work, all play....but it wasn't that long, maybe 12 hours...

8. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

When PSO GC came out, the first day I play about 16 hours straight, and me and my firend that did it together were one of the first to hit 100.

Now, 4 hours of GoW a few times a week is about the longest for me now.

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

He was so addicted he didn't notice a beautiful woman? Wow. I wish I could do that to save me from the hell they cause.

Also, what games were he playing. It better have been something cool like Contra and not lame like WoW. "I've got to go hang out with Red today, we're gonna fuck up some aliens." :lol 

10. OmegaScourge

20 hours of Contra...that's like beating the game 1200 times (if it takes an hour to finish)...

i wonder if he looks like that Subway dude when he was younger.

11. Shaun_C

IIRC it wasn't just 1 game in particular but a mix of various genres. I know he was playing one of those violent shoot 'em ups. But which one I couldn't tell you.

But to give you an idea, numerous times I saw his woman friend just laying on the couch trying to have even a conversation with him. And he'd pay her no attention :( 

I do hope she backed up her threat and put a pause on the friendship. And I'm not surprised he relapsed. He was resistent to the idea he has a problem anyway

12. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

He doesn't have a problem. He isn't harming himself or anyone else. Let the guy do what makes him happy. It's not like you can overdose on a level-up binge. If an athlete trained for 20 hours straight, they would call him/her dedicated. Except that can actually kill you. This can't.

If he chooses his games over you, maybe you suck.

I'm tired of youthful people forcing themselves to become "responsible adults" and doing the mommy and daddy routine, and being completely unhappy in the process. I am also tired of them trying to force other people to do it. They don't know anything, other than the fact they're not happy. Buying cars won't fix that.

games can, though, according to studies.

game on.

13. Shaun_C

Yes it can

Would you say the same thing if you were on the recieving end. That's pretty heartless of you E.T. I mean like whoa :redface2:  I'd say that he sucks as this woman cares about him and wants to spend time with him. But he prefers his electronic vgame pals to real ones

Well since the guy in question doesn't/didn't work at the time that was filmed. He's not really a responsible adult. And yes it's SO evil to expect an adult to put down the games and do things that adults do like. Oh I don't know hold down a job and earn some income w/o depending on mommy and daddy :rolleyes2 

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Check your math buddy.. if the game takes an hour to beat 20 hours of Contra would be like beating it 20 times...

15. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

It was in dog hours!

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

As funny as this sounds coming from a toy collector, you can be a responsible adult and still do fun things. That being said there comes a time when every person needs to grow up and be more responsible.

I didn't see the ep, but if this guy chose Video Games over working or a girlfriend there truly is a problem.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Yeah Video Games come after Overthrowing the Goverment and Hot and Nasty sex.