Customs: A Different Paint Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by pcsguy88, Aug 26, 2007.

1. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

I know everyone is sick of the "how do I paint a Transformer" and "Which paint works best?" questions that get posted every week, but I am unable to find any advice on my specific question. I have painted several Transformers, Valkyries and model kits from scratch using different methods and sanding until my fingertips are bloody, but with some of the Movie figures, I don't feel the need to completely repaint them. My question is, How do you prep, paint and protect minor details on a figure like Ironhide or LDR Brawl? I am pleased enough with their paint apps to not have a desire to break them down and start over, but with a few metallic colors, you can add so much to them. How do you prep such small, molded areas? I am working with Tamiya Acrylics and a brush now so I can paint indoors around my 1yr old daughter, so I need to know how to apply a wash without removing the detail paint (I usually paint details with enamel and then wash with acrylics). I also need to protect the painted details from wear. I have never used Future Floor Wax, but am leaning away from a high gloss coat for LDR Brawl. I also fear spraying Tester's Flat clearcoat over the entire figure that has not been sanded/painted because of the way that stuff fogs if it is applied incorrectly. Any ideas/tips/suggestions from the experienced?

I appreciate any help,
    Ron

2. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's hard for me to say without seeing what you want to cover, but you'll need to mask the area with some modeling/painters tape. Some areas may just be too small to work with though...:( 

3. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's hard for me to say without seeing what you want to cover, but you'll need to mask the area with some modeling/painters tape. Some areas may just be too small to work with though...:( 

4. pcsguy88

I'm just talking about painting the vents, smoke launchers, treads/wheels and the indented areas of detail molded into the plastic. Can't really sand them because of their shape/size and not too sure if they could be primed. I normally paint the whole figure after sanding/priming and then finish with a clearcoat, but now using acrylics and painting only the small areas of molded detail, I'm not sure of the best way to create a lasting finish. I'm currently in the process of tearing apart LDR Megs and sanding him for a full repaint, but have no desire to do that to LDR Brawl since I like his overall scheme. I just don't have the time to completely redo both of them over the next few months.

P.S. Could LDR Megs be anymore of a b@#ch to sand with all of those insane angles and recessed details?

5. pcsguy88

I'm just talking about painting the vents, smoke launchers, treads/wheels and the indented areas of detail molded into the plastic. Can't really sand them because of their shape/size and not too sure if they could be primed. I normally paint the whole figure after sanding/priming and then finish with a clearcoat, but now using acrylics and painting only the small areas of molded detail, I'm not sure of the best way to create a lasting finish. I'm currently in the process of tearing apart LDR Megs and sanding him for a full repaint, but have no desire to do that to LDR Brawl since I like his overall scheme. I just don't have the time to completely redo both of them over the next few months.

P.S. Could LDR Megs be anymore of a b@#ch to sand with all of those insane angles and recessed details?

6. pcsguy88

Would Future wax work if I brushed over the painted areas? I'm using Tamiya metallic acrylics, so the gloss might not be too bad. I've never used Future, so I don't the exact finish it leaves. Seriously, I don't want to spend all that time on Brawl, just to have it wear off and trash my favorite non-MP figure. I wish there was a way to sand such small, indented areas without damaging the main body.

7. pcsguy88

Would Future wax work if I brushed over the painted areas? I'm using Tamiya metallic acrylics, so the gloss might not be too bad. I've never used Future, so I don't the exact finish it leaves. Seriously, I don't want to spend all that time on Brawl, just to have it wear off and trash my favorite non-MP figure. I wish there was a way to sand such small, indented areas without damaging the main body.

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Use pumice based soap like Gojo, and a toothbrush, to texture up all the areas, nooks and crannies included, so they take paint well. it also won't destroy details like sandpaper.

9. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    Use pumice based soap like Gojo, and a toothbrush, to texture up all the areas, nooks and crannies included, so they take paint well. it also won't destroy details like sandpaper.

10. pcsguy88

Thank you Sidecutter, I would have never thought of that. Will it noticably scratch the factory finish (dyed plastic) if I get outside of the lines? Can you be fairly accurate with it? Do you think my idea of brushing Future wax only on the painted areas will work, or am I better off using a flat spray over the entire figure, since 90% will be unpainted?

Here are the requested pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pcsguy88

Thank you Sidecutter, I would have never thought of that. Will it noticably scratch the factory finish (dyed plastic) if I get outside of the lines? Can you be fairly accurate with it? Do you think my idea of brushing Future wax only on the painted areas will work, or am I better off using a flat spray over the entire figure, since 90% will be unpainted?

Here are the requested pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sidecutter

News Credits:

13. Sidecutter

News Credits: