Customs: A Different Breakaway Cockpit Mod

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deruberhanyok, Oct 19, 2009.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Well-Known Member

I was just messing with a second Breakaway I've gotten and modded the cockpit different from the tutorials I've seen.

I've attached the images here. The fourth image is a diagram, pardon the shoddiness of it but I couldn't get a good picture of the piece. In the diagram, think of it like you're looking at the front piece of clear plastic for the cockpit from the bottom.

The black outline is the larger part (the "top" if looking at the figure normally) and the smaller grey outline is the lower part that locks the piece into place. The red section is what I removed. I cut a line right in the middle of the lower half and removed the forward part of it on both sides of the "bar" that goes up the middle, which was left intact.

When reassembled (with the screw slightly less than completely tightened), this allows the cockpit to slide forward a little bit and the head can pop out. Make sure you keep the "bar" in the middle intact, it acts as a guide for sliding the piece out.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  2. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i will check this out in the daytime, this could prove USEFUL to me ;) 

3. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    Nice, I did this a couple months ago on both my Breakaway and Thrust. It really works well. I had assumed it had already been posted. None-the-less congrats on a great mod!

4. deruberhanyok

Thanks. I figured others had done it but didn't see anything posted explaining how.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite figures.

5. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Did it! It rules, thanks

6. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you so much. I just did this to thrust. easiest mod too.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If any of you guys feel that this thread should need additional information (descriptions, photos, etc.), please feel free to add them! We can then resource this as a tutorial :thumb 

Thanks for all you contribute, guys! :thumb 

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Hmmmm...seems like it needs more information. Then again, it's almost 2 am for me. I'll have to look at my Thrust tomorrow.

9. deruberhanyok

I couldn't get a good shot of the front piece of the cockpit clear plastic, so if someone has better photographic skills than I do, a "before" and "after" shot of the plastic might be helpful in case my diagram isn't too clear.

I picked up a Thrust the other day that's still in the packaging, but when I get around to opening it I'll try to get a good picture again. I've always had a problem with the focus on smaller pieces, but then, all I'm using is an older point and shoot camera. It works for my purposes most of the time.

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I saw Jin Saotome's custom mod, but instead decided to try yours as I wanted to keep more of the original figure in place. I performed this tonight to Thrust, and had fantastic results. I actually cut just a bit more into the sides of that T piece so that it slides forward enough (almost like being on a track) so that the head can be turned up and can turn.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    If any of you have tried this, do you feel that this tutorial is comprehensive enough?

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm bumping this thread because it's one of the last tutorials on our list to resource. If any of you have any information you'd like to contribute to this modification, feel free to do so :) 

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    See above for the reason for my post here.

14. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I've attached my photos of performing this modification.

First, I modified the front canopy in order to create a T so that the canopy can slide forward. It won't go that far, since the screw that holds it in place creates the friction, but it's enough that you can get more clearance for the head:
    [​IMG]

I also cut a bit around the back of the head and created a bit more clearance (taken from several other mods), and snipped a little from the inside of the rubber nose where it presses against the swivel joint. You can see a bit more in this shot:
    [​IMG]

Finally, when reassembled, he looks much better, and has better clearance for the head:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Cool! I already did one of the earlier mods on my Breakaway. When I get the chance, I'll have to see if I left enough of the canopy to be able to do this mod...

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    A bit of a backlog here, but would anyone like to take this tutorial a bit further?