A Date Which Will Live In Infamy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paladin, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Today, December 7th, is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, which cost thousands of lives and changed the course of US history.

I encourage everyone to take a moment today and reflect upon this monumental event.

2. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Thanks for the reminder.

[​IMG]

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll most definitely check out the memorial when I visit Hawaii. Anyone ever been there?

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Watched a History Channel program on Pearl Harbor today whenever I got up. Very important event indeed though we'd have eventually ended the war without it.

edit: I mean originally ended up in the war without it...this what I get for posting after a nap.

5. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    yes, it's very solemn. there's still oil leaking from the USS Arizona all these years later. i went before they moved the Missouri out there, so I can't vouch for it, though down here we have the Wisconsin, which is extremely impressive to see

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I was there six years ago. It's an amazing place. The oil and the parts of the Arizona that are sticking above water are very surreal. I'd love to go back someday. I have a bunch of pictures, unfortunately none of them are scanned.

7. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Yep, It's really cool in a somber manner. They not only have the little boat ride out to the Arizona Memorial, they have a decent sized room full of pics and diorama's of the whole thing. you can spend a few hours there just checking it out and taking it all in. It costs a few bucks, but it's worth it. Plus the building is air conditioned quite nicely as I recall, and we went on a hot muggy day.

My friend who went with us had parents in the military, but he forgot his military ID. The point is that there is another part of the Memorial in the active part of the base, and you can go see it if you have a military ID. I don't know if we could've gone with him or not, (most likely not) but people who were there and had an ID said it was also impressive. So if you have a military ID, take it with.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nobody actually gives a shit about what happened at Pearl Harbor. It's nice that someone acknowledges the day, but that's about all most Americans will do.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, survivors care, but those that are left are in their eighties now.

I'm sure in 60 years there will be similar indifference to 9/11.

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    what more do you want?

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    "We"?
    You're assuming, of course, you would have ever actually gotten involved in the war. You hadn't before that.

12. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    we wouldve had to eventually. if we didnt, probably all of europe would be speaking german right now.

13. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

There already is an indifference from a good chunk of the population...

14. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    But that's the point, America was totally neutral (even though we sold arms in mass quantities to allied forces) in the war until we were attacked. If it wasn't Pearl Harbor it would've been somewhere else that would've been attacked. Until that, we didn't give a shit about Europe, we were already up to our eyeballs in debt from the Treaty of Versailles where the victorious allied forces in Europe pretty much gave Wilson (and subsequently, America), Russia and Germany the shaft. It was going to always be Europes war until Japan decided to take their war to us. Otherwise, I highly doubt the isolationist views of the time would've given way to America getting their nose into anything.
    DN

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Russia would have finished the Third Reich in mainland Europe reguardless of whether western forces were coming in the other direction or not, American involvment in that theatre ensured that the countries on this side of Berlin wasn't theirs for the taking as well. If that had happened, theres a good chance that the second half of 20th century would have been just as grim as the first.

As far as the Japanese Empire goes, that would have hung around for allot longer if they had stuck to conquering places that none of the major world powers had any interest in.

16. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

It's like getting into a fight.

You both hate the other person so much until you duke it out, but when it's over, you have a mutual respect, and become good friends.

Except you kinda wish you had a nuke in your pocket.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh come on. The American public didn't give a toss about the war; you wouldn't have done a bloody thing if you hadn't gotten bombed. Good work on belittling the efforts of the rest of the WORLD.

18. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dont think russia wouldve taken germany if they didnt decide to hit russia in the winter and the US wasnt involved.

also, Draven, you think the allied forces couldve defeated the germans without the US's help? now you come on, europe would be speaking german or russain if we didnt. I wasnt belittling anyone, its just a fact.

I got off topic here with bickering, my bad. This day is for remembering the men and women who died that day and all the families that had to deal with that loss. And my dad and myself feel that loss having served and serving in the armed forces. And if anyone has a family member who is serving their country, I tip my hat to you and appreciate you. we are all a family.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

We as in the the United States yeah...we were on the road already with the lend/lease program, which really started the change of the U.S. turning away from isolationism. Pearl harbor served its purpose has that jarring wake-up call we really needed, but even without public opinion in the United States was moving for intervention in Europe.

A Brit bitter about WWII...yeah never saw that one coming lol.:wink: 

To be fair to Japan, we kinda asked for it to begin with. I mean first we force to trade with us, and then we cut off their oil supply after they start conquering China.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    An American arrogant about it. Never saw that one coming either lol.