A critical look at G1 cartoon (not hating... haters and Gwhiners avoid!)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by webz, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Just finished watching all the G1 cartoons on Netflix, seasons 1 thru "4", and these are my overall impressions.

Take out the nostalgia factor, and G1 Transformers is 90% crap after the first season. Season 2 started getting ridiculous with epidsodes such as "A Decepticon in King Arthur's Court" and "The Girl who Loved Powerglide". By season 3, it was plain unwatchable. Rodimus, Wheelie, Springer, Galvatron, Cyclonus, and the mentally ******ed version of Grimlock absolutely ruined the cartoon.

Now, these are OPINION, not FACTS, so it's not meant to start a flamewar or any nonesense like that. I am merely looking at how the seasons in general hold up, as well as a star review of individual episodes, not reviewing the context compared to other G1 cartoons, but the context of comparing it to the quality of a Transformers storyline in general, be it comics, movies, other Transformers TV shows, etc.

"More than Meets the Eye," "SOS Dinobots," and "Ultimate Doom" were stellar examples of when everything worked, and still hold up well compared to contemporary cartoons and storylines. Many easter eggs of Season 1 are scattered throughout the Bay movies, as well as later incarnations of the Transformers brand.

"More than Meets the Eye, Parts 1-3" ★★★★★
    "Transport to Oblivion" ★★★★
    "Roll for It"★★
    "Divide and Conquer"★★★
    "Fire in the Sky"★★★★
    "S.O.S. Dinobots"★★★★
    "Fire on the Mountain"★★★
    "War of the Dinobots"★★★★
    "The Ultimate Doom, Parts 1-3"★★★★★
    "Countdown to Extinction"★★★
    "A Plague of Insecticons"★★★★
    "Heavy Metal War"★★★★

Season 2 was a mess, other than the episodes dealing with the Combaticons, as well as "Key to Vector Sigma." "War Dawn" was ok, but later comics and War For Cybertron managed that storyline far better.

"Autobot Spike"★
    "Changing Gears"★★
    "City of Steel"★
    "Attack of the Autobots"★
    "Traitor"★
    "The Immobilizer"★
    "The Autobot Run"★★
    "Atlantis, Arise!"★
    "Day of the Machines"★★
    "Enter the Nightbird"★★
    "A Prime Problem"★★
    "The Core"★
    "The Insecticon Syndrome"★★★
    "Dinobot Island, Part 1-2"★★★
    "The Master Builders"★★
    "Auto Berserk"★
    "Microbots"★
    "Megatron's Master Plan, Part 1-2"★★★
    "Desertion of the Dinobots, Part 1-2"★★★
    "Blaster Blues"★
    "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court"★
    "The Golden Lagoon"★
    "The God Gambit"★
    "Make Tracks"★
    "Child's Play"★
    "Quest for Survival"★
    "The Secret of Omega Supreme"★★
    "The Gambler"★
    "Kremzeek!"★
    "Sea Change"★
    "Triple Takeover"★★
    "Prime Target"★
    "Auto-Bop"★
    "The Search for Alpha Trion"★★
    "The Girl Who Loved Powerglide"★
    "Hoist Goes Hollywood"★
    "The Key to Vector Sigma, Part 1-2"★★★★
    "Aerial Assault"★★★
    "War Dawn"★★★
    "Trans-Europe Express"★★
    "Cosmic Rust"★★
    "Starscream's Brigade"★★★★
    "The Revenge of Bruticus"★★★★
    "Masquerade"★★
    "B.O.T."★★

The rest of Season 2 and Almost ALL of Season 3 (exception being "Return of Optimus Prime") was poorly written filler. ROOP was a good two-parter, and was very dark for a 80's cartoon. "Evil Rodimus" was as evil as Black Suit Spider-Man in "Spider-Man 3"... (sadly, Rodimus didn't break into dancing or crash a jazz club). Seeing Prime coated in the anti-spore alloy was great, as it finally gave the none-combined cab of Ultra Magnus toys a role.

"Five Faces of Darkness, Part 1-5"★★★
    "The Killing Jar"★
    "Chaos"★
    "Dark Awakening"★★
    "Forever Is a Long Time Coming"★
    "Starscream's Ghost"★★★
    "Thief in the Night"★★
    "Surprise Party"★
    "Madman's Paradise"★
    "Nightmare Planet"★
    "Ghost in the Machine"★★
    "Webworld"★
    "Carnage in C-Minor"★
    "The Quintesson Journal"★
    "The Ultimate Weapon"★★
    "The Big Broadcast of 2006"★
    "Fight or Flee"★
    "The Dweller in the Depths"★
    "Only Human"★
    "Grimlock's New Brain"★
    "Money Is Everything"★
    "Call of the Primitives"★★
    "The Face of the Nijika"★
    "The Burden Hardest to Bear"★
    "The Return of Optimus Prime, Part 1-2"★★★★
    "The Rebirth, Part 1-3" ★★★

So.... Which G1 stories do you think hold up best in the long history of Transformers fiction?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What kind of criteria are you using to judge each episode? What are you looking for? What sets some of the better episodes apart from some of the worse ones? What do you think could have been done to improve these episodes?

3. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I love the mission of season 1, Autobots must stop the Decepticons from stealing Earth's energy. But Grimlock said it best at the end of the Marvel comics run... "This war never about who rule Cybertron, or even about stopping the Decepticons from draining Earth's resources. This war about genetics!" Autobots that turn into cars vs. Decepticons that turn into weapons of war and other sneaky stuff. Consumer goods vs. Military hardware. Classic stuff.

4. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

It's typical of many franchises for the 2nd season to get a bit fluffy, lol. But I still enjoyed them. The characters still had good chemistry. There were some intriguing plot points but sadly they never really got to go anywhere because of the nature of the show. A lot of unrealized potential there. :) 

5. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    The part of G1 I really enjoyed was Season 3

6. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Things such as quality of dialog, overall story line for the episode, effective use of the characters involved in the episode, and how it fit in the context of the greater Transformers brand fiction. This has nothing to do with the artistic style of the cartoon. If you were to take "More than Meets the Eye"'s audio, and use the animation models from Transformers Prime (obviously you'd have to make more... but this is just an example), the story would still be fantastic, and still be a relevant piece of fiction. Do the same thing with "Hoist Goes Hollywood" and the cartoon is STILL a total piece of crap.

This isn't something I just sat down and threw together in 5 minutes, as I said, I've been watching all the episodes of G1 over the past two months, and writing a phrase or two about my overall impression of the episodes, as well as the star review. Feel free to agree, or disagree with my ratings, I don't care... I'm more interested in which episodes people think are the ones that hold up best in the context of Transformers brand fiction.

7. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I must disagree on the low rating Webz gave Atlantis Arise. It was a good episode. I played it out a year ago with Straxus as Nergill and Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge as his Energon starved troops over some o- scale scenery and a bottle of E&J Brandy. It was quite memorable and therapeutic to my psychosis.

8. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

See I liked the cynical view of Hollywood in that one how the "big hero" is just an actor who walks into a scene after the stunt people do all the heavy labor, lol.

9. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

I thought "Hoist goes Hollywood" was a fun rather witty episode.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This is as far as I was able to get:

Trolling and hate detected.

For all I know your post is brilliant... but credibility is lost once statements like this is made- especially if they are opening statements.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    your searching for that in a 20 min toy commercial...get real.

I know your intention is good but all in all it is just another look at how bad G1 is.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Not really? A lot of the time, any time someone says anything even slightly critical of G1, they're attacked for it by some users of this forum. Hell, same thing goes for just about every series.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I dont hide the fact I stand on G1:s side and always will. The thing is though we know of it flaws especially the cartoon. But we dont need a new topic every week were this is stated and ppl stating how bad it is.

14. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still say "Kremzeek!" is one of the most entertaining half-hours of television I have ever seen. Also: only two stars for some of the Stunticon episodes? Blasphemy!

15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Your scale is suspect. We need to adjust since you gave War Dawn 3 out of 5 stars and it clearly deserves 9 out of 5 stars.

16. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I don't mind G1 getting reviewed in a negative light. It was meant to push a product off of store shelves to the everyday consumer. That didn't always mean gripping stories, but gimmicks like robots who turn into stuff even if the early stories weren't always golden. The companies just had a simple of objective of only making money off of parents. Nowadays, a toy maker with TV broadcasts for their toylines won't get away with poor quality television quality. Not with an awareness of the audience's potential diversity being not just young kids. It'll relegate their product to remaining on the shelves even into deeply discounted clearence stages. If you ask me, Hasbro goes out of their way to remain informed on their audiences these days even if seems like they don't offer up as much as their Japanese counterparts or the 3rd party entities.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    webz, I'm along with Aernaroth here, as I'd much prefer an episode breakdown since you're spending so much time with this already. I think by doing so, your critiques will seem much less arbitrary than a simple ranking system. Knowing Aernaroth's methodology when he posts as well as just taking his post at face value, I think he was asking for the same thing.

Agreed, though . . . .

. . . . I see this line of reasoning as well. I think if webz ends up with a more systematic criteria that he suggested, as well as breaking each episode down, it won't seem like "hatin' on G1 thread of the day". I generally see these threads in this forum, roll my eyes, and move on, but I don't think that's is what is at work here. I think webz is trying to give an objective hand shake at this show.

18. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Only two stars for Dark Awakening makes me sad.

19. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    Wow... four whole stars, huh? I mean, did we watch the same episodes?

Didn't the Autobots fly to Cybertron is what would only amount to Omega Suspreme's arms? And yet, the rest of him managed to tag along as well?

I agree the comments above... there needs to more information to back your stars.

20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a nitpicky reason to bag on that episode. Four stars sounds about right to me. If you're going to start picking apart every time something odd like that happens, you might as well demote every episode where Prime's trailer appears from out of nowhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.