A Couple of quick questions(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tript, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Tript

Tript Well-Known Member

Where are the Autobots when Optimus scans the glasses? It looks like a solarium or deep space telescope. But why would the have to go there if op can scan the glasses with his eyes?

Second question. Where are the Autobots before they land on earth? They're obviously not on Cybertron. Were they on the moon? My guess it that they were on either Mars or the Moon. They sent BumbleBee as a scout, waiting for confirmation.

Lastly. Does anyone think that the 'football try out joke' was a foreshadowing to Sam trying to outrun Baricade, Kicking Frenzy's head, and then finaly running with the Allspark?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    1. Could've been a solarium.

2. Probobly in the solar system somewhere.

3. Have no clue.

3. jagganathprime

jagganathprime Banned

1.It's supposed to be near the Hoover dam..... to my knowledge there should be an observation centre in the vincinity....

2. Using canon as an example, they would have been orbiting the planet.... then changing course towards earth

3. Musta been..... There is a lot of innuendo and hidden meanings in the film..... you gotta watch it several times to keep up.... tho at times the film is bloody slow...

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In an early draft that football scene flashback features Sam trying to throw a ball and failing. Then at the end of the film he does the exact same throw using the allspark and throws it into Megatron's chest. Every day I am thankful that this never made it into the actual film. It was possibly the worst part of that script.

5. jagganathprime

jagganathprime Banned

....hmm based on this information, i am glad that Bay had decided to cut that seen..... it would have been unnecessary character development.... as was the scenes with the OZ chick and her Sidekick....
    Don't buy the Directors cut DVD if that is truly the case.....

6. Tript

Tript Well-Known Member

Orbiting? Wow I didn't think they were that close, I figured the closes they would get to Earth was the dark side of the moon

7. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Answer to #1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith_Observatory

Griffith Observatory

For the most part I think they just happened to be there. Michael Bay was granted permission to be the first able to film on location since renovations where last done.

8. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

To Number 3: Yes. It's referenced in the official novel.

9. Tript

Tript Well-Known Member

Wow! I never read the script but now I can see why so many people hated teh rough draft. That would have been cheesy

10. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

The railyard BB message from the previous evening may have went via "subspace" across most of our galaxy.
    The other four Autobot characters may have used a wormhole from maybe thousands of light years away. And a short standard "rocket" mode travel from the vicinity of our sun where wormholes apparently exist in plenty.
    Now how did the Decepticons happen to be hanging around Mars in 2003 or 2007? That's along time to wait for what? Were they ready to wait another 1000 years for another "call"?
    And in the comic's, BB was there on Mars too in 2003?
    Perhaps the last AllSpark call placed BB & the Decepticons in just the general star system without being more accurate than that?

11. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Accord to the prequel book, and comics, BB was scouting earth, as they ran into a shuttle in space that tipped them off a little bit already. The Ark or Nemesis should be near or on Mars or the darkside of the moon as stated before.

The 'protoforms' are just atmospheric drop forms, so to speak. They didn't travel from cybertron like that. They also, as stated in movie, were already out searching in deep space for the allspark, as they needed it to bring cybertron back to 'life' essentially. As they grew dependant on it's power.

The allspark was also hidden on earth, under concrete layers to hide it's signal, so while they knew it was at or near earth, they had no clue where on earth till sam uploaded the pic of the glasses online. Which set the events in motion.

The football remark was kept, but the flashback scene was not, in both the official book, and the movie, it was a simple 'yes I tried football camp, but it was to see how much football relates to brain damage.'

The director's cut probably won't have it either, since that flashback scene was never filmed.

12. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    RUUUUUUUUUUUUDYYYY!!!!

I couldn't agree more llama.

1. Just a cool place to hang out.
    2. I say orbiting around Earth sounds like a good theory
    3. Perhaps based on llamatron's anwer, I have to go and check the script again. I and I am glad they made it subtle if that was the point.

13. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

1. I think it was just a nice backdrop for the scene.

2. According to the novel "Ghosts of yesterday" - the autobots interstellar travel is carried out on board the Ark. One presumes they "parked" it somewhere before making planet fall. Similarly the Cons have their own ship - the Nemesis.

Of course that assumes the novel can be taken as canon (there are quite a few discrepencies between it and the prequel comic/movie)

3. Possibly - who knows.

14. Tript

Tript Well-Known Member

Ok so the observatory was just a back drop, MBay wanted to be the first to film there so it plays no significance to the story. The scene could have been shot anywhere.

2.So I guess theres no real answer as to where they were , its all speculation (Although I think its safe to say they didn't use the worm hole in the prequel novel as it was collapsing. The Capitan of the earth ship wanted it that way to give Earth time to technologically advance to fight off the Decepticons)

and 3. It was a chessy scene that was droped for a small funny bit (THANK GOD!)

15. BIG SUMO

BIG SUMO Active Member

I'm having a hard time believing this, because the Hoover Dam was built around the All Spark... and in that scene Optimus announces that the Spark is about "200 miles from here". Hardly what I would call near.

16. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

According to Google Maps, it's 297 miles from Griffith Observatory (L.A.) to Hoover Dam (Las Vegas). I thought in the movie Prime said the Allspark was located
    "Approximately 230 miles from here." Whatever. "Near" is relative. :) 

As for why they used Griffith Observatory, I can think of two reasons: 1. It is a really cool-looking place, architecturally, and 2. It was, at that time, closed for renovations,
    so it was a place where the Autobots could have some relative privacy.

"Mission City," by the way, is a fictional place located closer to Hoover Dam than L.A. is. Just don't think about it too hard. :) 

[​IMG]