A Couple Comic Questions

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Frequency, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

Since I've only been collecting for maybe 2 years there's some things in comics from before I was reading that I've had some questions about.

First off: The Silver and Blue Superman... I don't quite remember the story behind this... was it a revamp? Was it actually Superman? What was the deal with it?

Secondly: For a while now I've been very interested in picking up the Earth/Universe/Paradise X paperbacks though I'm having a very hard time finding them... But I know little to nothing about them... they just seem very interesting to me... to anyone who has read them, can you give me a general plot synopsis for overall or perhaps just Earth X? Also, is it worth picking up?

Thanks in Advance.

By The Way, anyone feel free to use this thread to post your own questions you might have about comics in general.

2. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Dunno about Silver, but for a time there was Superman Red and Superman Blue. It was actually Superman. Both of them were in fact. A bit after the death and rebirth, he lost his powers and got them switched to an energy based set. Blue however seemed a bit more 'real' in the story, and Red seemed a bit like a doppleganger in a way. Each did their own thing, Red seeming to stick to Metropolis more and Blue with the JLA and doing the 'cosmic thing'. Eventually they merged back together and became 'real' Superman again. The idea was from a Silver Age comic, where Superman dreamed he could be two people (Red and Blue) so one can do the stuff on Earth and one can help around the universe, one can marry Lois and one Lana, etc.

As for the X series from Marvel: Earth X is widely regarded as the best. I enjoyed that one the most myself. The quality goes downhill from there really. Marvel kept trying to milk the cash from Earth X's success it seems. Def get EX, if you enjoy it enough, and the others are cheap enough, couldn't hurt to nab them, they are still decent reads but not -as- good.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I think I can field 1 and part of 2.

Electric Superman, ah the days. This actually brought me back into Superman for a bit. Only for the electric thing though. What happened was his powers somehow changed and he became an energy being. A special suit was designed for him to contain himself HOWEVER he could also change form to Clark Kent. Kind of a Captain Marvel/Rick Jones idea but without the second being.
    Anyway, after a while, Superman split into 2 beings, Superman Red (an angrier and more brutal Superman) and Superman Blue (Mr Nice Guy). The two could also both chage to Clark if memory serves. This only lasted for a few months though and I Millenium Giants story fixed it. Superman Red and Blue flew around the Earth really fast to change the polarity some kind of cosmic fault lines. In doing so, apparently them merged again into the normal Superman as shown in Superman Forever.

As for the Marvel X stories, Ionly got Earth X. It was pretty good but not spectacular. My major disappointment was that it was hyped as this Alex Ross project and he didn't actually do the interiors. Only designs and covers.

4. Frequency

Wow that's funny I always thought that the blue and silver superman was widely disliked... and I didn't even know there was a red and silver one too.

As for the Marvel X books... Earth X and Universe X volume 1 both are the hardest books to come by... most of the time I can only find Universe X 2 or Paradise X. What is the story to Earth X though?

5. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Hmm again I say don't remember any silver in the guys mainly was Blue and white & Red & white I beleive.

I only got a sketch book for the X series, liked the designs for some characters will say that.

I do have a question, though deals with what issue something happens in. Namely, I found a pic of Nocturne talking with Nightcrawler and Juggernaut (WHEN DID HE GO GOOD?!?!?!) and during this Havok is going nuts outside so Jug head decides to do the Fastball special (what Collosus and Wolvie used to do) with Nocturne because " I've always wanted to do this." Anyone know what issue this is?

And other question, how many people here saw Wolverine get pwned by Aunt May? (skimmed the book with this in it at a meijer and just burst out laughing when I read/saw this, I couldn't help it, it was that funny) and the other, why did they really let her get away with it.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Juggy went good during Austen's run on Uncanny. Not sure particularly which issue. And no idea on the Fastball special.

As for the Aunt may thing, yea I read it. I laughed hard too. But why did Wolverine let her get away with it? It's Aunt May! Wolverine has some manners. She also made him Wheatcakes. Check the latest Wolverine/Spiderman miniseries.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I don't know the exact number (30-something, I think), but it was an issue of Exiles. The first time their little troop journeyed to the 616 Marvel Universe. It's an underwhelming sequel to one of Austen's less stupid Uncanny X-Men arcs. The entire thing is resolved by Nocturne possessing Havok after initially pointing out that ahe can't possess him. Continuity, thy name is not Chuck Austen. :rolleyes2 

Still, it had some fun bits with TJ and Kurt. Worth a read, just don't expect greatness.

8. Frequency

The story arc was issues 28, 29, and 30, but the fastball special was in issue 30. It's probably one of the most underwhelming stories in Exiles to date, namely because of how heavily it relies on the reader's knowledge of Austen's Uncanny X-men run. Still in all, Exiles is a really great series, and Austen definitely redeemed himself with the Hyperion story arc.

9. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    The "X" universe is, to an extent, Marvel's desire to tie all of their various myths and universes together. Revealing too much would ruin then end of that arc for you, but suffice to say it fairly successfully ties in the Celestials, the Inhumans, the Asgardians, Mutants, The Savage Land, the Atlantians, and the Skull/Kree debacle. IIRC. I read Universe and it was a bit more convoluted but still a good read. havent'
    got Paradise X yet though.