Customs: a Conflict

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    we all have our little talents on this website and with customs and even in certain areas we all have our skills that shine, so far i have a pretty good nack for making weapons ( quite a few members on this board have bought them from me)

but now i have an internal conflict...

i have had a few requests for things that are already availible by others (via shapeways or another cusomizer) my conflict is that thus far i have not reproduced others work because i feel why make it if its already availible.

but where is the line between reproducing a concept and reproducing the same item.

now i know if i were just making it for me i wouldnt care because i enjoy the challenge, but i make a mold of all the things i make so if someone wants them i can offer that.

does any of this make sense

i would just feel bad reproducing something someone else made knowing im going to sell them, and that they worked really hard to do the same thing (via 3d modeling or other)

Also note that if a made something that someone else makes i would in no way just buy what they make and mold it and start selling casts of it as my own. i would scratchbuild my own to make the mold from. Im a synical ass but deep down im a nice guy who enjoys this hobby and doesnt want to step on others toes. i really like this community (its a lot less caddy then some of the car websites i'm on, cause i like working on cars and hot rods as well)

sorry for the long rant i just have been having trouble with this lately

2. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    You should contact the creator and work out a deal. I personally don't see any harm in that. That is how most businesses work. If you can reproduce them at a say maybe a lower cost and still be able to offer the creator part of the profit then it is a win win. Otherwise it's just a matter of respect for the creator. I personally would be really upset if someone was making a profit off of my work and didn't offer me a cut.

3. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

If you really feel that bad about it, inform your customer that what they want is basically available elsewhere as well. If they still want it from you, then that's that. Though I don't think this is something you should really let worry you. Sometimes customers want something from a specific artist. For example, if a customer went to you and said "I want an alpha trion made from a generations scourge", I wouldn't expect you to turn around tell them no and they should come see me just because I did it first. If they wanted it from me, they'd have asked me, but they didn't, they asked you.

4. Megatron31

Ebay:
    now if i made something somone else made it wouldnt be a direct copy of theirs
    its just the same concept for instance seeker null rays

which are avilible from
    shapeways via A1treadshot (which i own) and g60force
    and a cast version from anemis

all 3 are the same concept but look different

im not trying to make an argument for why i should do it with this statement, i just want to make sure that my reason for posting is clear

and whiskytango

thus far i have done exactly that and pointed them in the right direction

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I see absoulutly no problem with someone making something new and selling it, regardless of someone else making it. as long as you aren't taking what they made and casting and selling it, it's your creation and .....well, it's yours! :lol 
    i would agree with trying to steer someone down a path if something is already out there, but maybe the client didn't want someone else's for various reasons. just beause someone was the first to make something, doesn't mean there's is the best. And like you already said, there are three people out there with null rays, all the same concept, but different excecutions.

Now, saying you were inspired by someone else's work, and you made your own version is a little bit of a gray area, but as long as you said it was inspired by somone else, i think it's okay.

your question about where the line is between a concept and reproducing the same item is actually pretty clear. if you mold and cast someone's work and sell it that's stealing. but if you make your own concept it's not. To give a direct example, if you bought treadshot's null rays, and then cleaned up the rough RP'd surface and made castings, thats taking someone else's work even though you did something unique. but if you made your own, you made your own.

I don't think you need to worry about creatively stepping on someones toes as long as you bring something new/different to the table.

Randy!

6. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I don't see any problem with copying someone else mod. I mean, you're the one doing the work. For the most part we are all copying the art from the cartoons, games, and comics. No one ever gives a second thought to reproducing something from them. If anything, it's a compliment to the original artist. Now if you were bad mouthing the artist and attempting to take business/work away from them, that would be under handed, but simply creating a mod from some elses design IMHO is fine.

Edit: I didn't think about the molds. I was thinking of the mods/painting. For the molds, I would redirect them to the original creator, and if they couldn't fulfill the request, then offer to do it for them, but only after the original creator turned them down.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I see it this way.....

There will always be a few parts that you will build that either look similar or are dead-on to another artist's work (be it Shapeways, casts, or scratchbuilt). The reason I say this is because with any series (or G1, as you mentioned the Seeker nullrays), there are numerous references to study them, but most will still end up looking similar. I honestly believe if people wanted those versions, they would go with them. I think those that have bought your scratchbuilt weapons not only love your work in that area, but they also trust you, your skills, and the quick turnaround (you crank some great stuff out pretty fast, man). So I think they could just be going with something they feel comfortable with, from an artist they feel comfortable with. Plus, if they already plan to buy other weapons from you, they probably just want the ability to keep everything nice and tidy and be able to order it all from you, instead of 3 or 4 different places.

I don't see it as stepping on anyone's toes, really. If one of their respective works (or any other artist's work) inspired your creation of a weapon, I'd say to share that with us or shoot some credit their way for the inspiration. As you said, those 3 seeker nullrays that are available to anyone interested are all different to some degree. I think it comes down to who wants a certain look or what I mentioned above.....it's easier and safer to go with one person as opposed to many. Once you establish yourself with certain parts like that, you will have repeat business and also fans of your work who line up to ask you to do something others may have done.

I'd say take it as a compliment and do it. They came to you specifically for something (whether you've already made it or not), so help 'em out and enjoy what you do, man.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I have no problem if the situation were "hey, can you make me this" despite you knowing someone makes that thing. Someone asked you for your interpretation of it, or at the very least for it to be your work. I see zero problem there.

Now if someone said "hey, can you make me this, and I want it to look just like his". Now that's a problem.

9. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Thank you guys for your insight and opinions, you guys put me more at ease, especially hxcpunk, and kusinagi

Guess it's time to get back to work

10. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Your respect for what other people have done and your honesty about it all shows alot of your character. This is the kind of stuff that is as important to me as the things you make. I'd rather buy a custom from a cool dude than an a-hole, no matter how good the other guys stuff may be (just to be clear, i'm not talking about anyone in particular, I have yet to deal with an a-hole. :) 
    This is how you establish yourself as a good customizer, because you've already demonstarted the skill. :thumb 

Randy!

11. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Thank you Randy

That was a very nice. I have a lot of respect for the people that have been at this much longer than I have, and appreciate you guys input, advice, and compliments. sincerely thank you guys

12. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hey, my Rays are good sellers, but that doesn't mean you cant make your own and sell them as well. G60 and I a still good buddies and we often make stuff the other has already done similar versions of (damn his so much more awesome seeker head :lol ).

Just make sure you don't copy it 100%, and then you're in the clear. I mean, if you hacked my computer and took my files, then uploaded them and sold them, then that's wrong. If you modified them a bit, then sold them, that's still wrong. If you start from scratch, and follow some reference art, then you should be fine.

It's not like Ptitvite's the only guy who owns a Devastator custom. Long as you're either taking inspiration from the original, or the creator has given you permission to make a close copy, then it's a-okay.

Anyways, may I inquire what it is you're making?

13. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Thanks treadshot it's actually null rays and a jazz rifle is what I have had requests for. Multiple ones and I have pointed them in your direction yet I still get requests, which has really been why I have had such a issue but, it boils down to what Randy and Hxc pointed out, repeats and trust.

But I openly declare my seekers rock treadshots's null rays and I love them.

This all started with the cone head seeker missiles I made, and got requests to finish out the seeker line, and jazz rifle creator (cashanova) I have great respect for cause he designed IDW construction heads for my constructions.

I base most of my stuff off of IDW art

14. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Sweet. You casting a sculpted model, or using Shapeways? If you want to cast, you're welcome to cast my rays, I'm sure we can work something out. :)  I have noticed a lot of business from them, so thanks for the advertising!

Good luck bro. I'm sure you'll come out with something awesome, and then well all light torches and form a mob because you stole our loyal fan base. :lol  j/k

15. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Thanks treadshot, I actually am going to build them from scratch because I want to make a modular part so I can attach missiles on the end so thrust can have a set like what gear is giving their masterpiece seeker