A Confession

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ezim93, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest, I never did like Welkers Megatron voice. I'm not saying he's a bad voice actor (the dudes got f*****g talent) and I'm pretty sure that back in the day that his voice was pretty intimidating but his voice just doesn't age well. That and (I'm probably going to flamed for this) there's something that just doesn't sit right with me that the Megatron essentially has the voice of Scooby Doo. I personally perfer Weaving, Burton and Kaye. I know many fans have differing opinions and I can accept that, I just wanted to get this off my chest and reveal to the community that I just don't like Welkers Megatron voice. I do however LOVE his soundwave voice vocoded or not.

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's okay. Everyone knows that Kaye has the best Megatron voice anyway. :) 

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

when reading the thread topic, this tune went through my head:
    YouTube - Usher - Confessions(My Little Baby remix)

that said, to each his own, I hope you don't get flamed. I love Welker for what he originally did with the franchise, and ideally he'd remain megatron forever opposed to cullen's prime. however, I appreciate the work of the actors you mentioned as well. they have aptly carried the megatron torch far.

4. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    It's cool, bro. Everybody has preferences. I kinda prefer Burton, Kaye and Weaving more than Welker as well. Still, Welker still has my respect and the charm of being the first Megatron.

Besides, even though I don't like Welker as Megatron, I still like the guy for Soundwave. :) 

But, hey, there'll probably be a troll or two in this thread soon enough.

5. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As an overseas TF fan, I never cared for him or Cullen. My 'heroes' are Tessho Genda and Seizo Kato.

It was the stupidiest move from Tomy to leave mr. Kato out of the TF movies. The new Megatron sounds like a retarded.

6. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree, we must now be mortal enemies!!!!1111one1

j/k different strokes and all that.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    You like what you like.

I think G1 Megatron's voice is also over-rated, too and Soundwave FTW.

8. Midnight Scream

Midnight Scream Megatrons girl

I agree. They could have done better with the voice thing.

9. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    While I agree, you know he turned it down voluntarily, right?

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Seizō_Katō

Shame, he thinks he's not as good, but his brief performance as General Jark in last year's Kamen Rider Decade movie was quite good.

Which is more than I can say for how Welker's Megatron has turned out since he returned to voice him in video games. Not that I blame him: The dude's 64, you're bound to have difficulty getting really gruff voices right as you get older. Which is why I liked what I heard of the new Megatron voice actor for War for Cybertron: he's a lot less grim sounding and sounds more like the general thirsting for conquest we remember G1 Megatron to be. He really does sound great.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Each to their own. To be honest, Frank Welker is definitively the original Megatron in my eyes, the Megatron of a simpler time, a time now passed. Nowadays, we've got creepy, magnificently evil Megatrons like Corey Burton, David Kaye and Hugo Weaving. I feel slightly spoiled by over a decade of top-notch Megatron voices.

That said, I played the RotF game with Frank Welker as Megatron, and hearing his distinctive evil laugh coming out of Megatron took me back to watching the old show. So it's all good.

Also, Welker as Soundwave, vocoded or not, is pure awesome.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I liked G1 Megatron's voice, but I do not like Welker's G1 Megatron voice these days.

WORD. Every Soundwave should sound like that. I actually prefer it lightly-vocoded (Frenk welker apparently prefers it unaltered as well) because it sounds more menacing and creepy.

We've been pretty fortunate to have such great VA's for classic charatcers over the years.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My sentiments exactly.

I have to agree that Welker's Soundwave voice is awesome, though I prefer it vocoded.

13. darthdevious

darthdevious Destroyer of Worlds

DAMN YOU! HOW DARE YOU! WE MUST NINJA FIGHT NOW! LOL LOL
    Its cool man, He was good at the time, but yeah, his Megatron voice hasnt held up over the years. Now David Kaye, that is an epic Megatron voice, YESSSSS!

LOL :p 

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    After watching Beast Wars/Machines and several episodes of G1. Yeah I think David is the better of the two Megatron voice actors.

Now it's toss up on Beast Era and Animated though.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually... I'm with you.

As a kid, I was a fan of the toys, then the comics, then the cartoon... so I already had an idea of how Megatron should sound that was independent of the cartoon. Welker's voice may have defined Megatron for a generation of kids, but for me he never really had the right feeling, the right menace...

Leonard Nimoy as Galvatron was one of my favourite things about the Transformers:The Movie, but Welker's TV Galvatron crossed the line for me to outright irritation. I couldn't stand it. Shrill and raspy was great for Chris Latta's Starscream, but it didn't fit Megatron.

Megatron is one of the few original cartoon voices I didn't like. Peter Cullen is still Optimus Prime to me, through and through. Starscream, Soundwave, Jazz, Ironhide, Rumble, etc... I loved all those guys.

Since then, David Kaye's BW Megatron is great... the best voice on that show by far. He's so deliciously, cartoonishly evil... yesssss. But I don't really consider him to really be "Megatron". He's really a different character. I loved Cory Burton's Megatron for Animated though.

Hugo Weaving's Megatron is utterly boring to me. Sure, his voice is deep and growly and angry-sounding, but it just doesn't have any personality. Probably the blandest Megatron of the bunch.

zmog

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Either Mr. Kaye or Mr. Burton.

Mr.Weaving had a good voice in the first movie and then it got messed up in RoTF.

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I actually prefer Burton's Megatron voice, but I'm not going to deny Welker kicks ass at VAing.

18. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Welker and Burton equally as Megatron, but I like Animated Megatron because he was actually a threat.

19. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Frank Welker, did Galvatron in the 3rd season right? I hated that voice, and still do.
    Burton is the best of the animated, Weaving, is the best just sounds so right.

20. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

I actually like Burton best. His voice has a kind of accent at times, and a certain ambience that does well to convey a wide range of emotions--mostly condescending and menacing, but also slightly amused and frustrated at times, which I think adds a lot to the character.

And granted it probably has something to do with the deal of how Megatron is kind of vulnerable, so to speak, at certain moments in the series--but I still feel as though his Megatron voice adds a wider range of emotion than the others. Something a little different and a little more.

But I'm still quite fond of Welker, too. And I definately agree that his Soundwave is most top-notch.