A Collector's Greatest Dilemma?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I have a problem. I don't know what it is. It was perhaps in response to the movie last year, but I've been experiencing a case of ADD (a self-diagnosis is never good) when it comes to collecting TFs. I can't seem to make up my mind on which particular line I should focus on.

Somehow, I think I entered a bad time for this hobby. There's just too much that's out right now. I totally missed out on collecting G1 because I was too young to appreciate the actual value these figures would garner over time. I also missed out on RID, the Unicron Trilogy, and Alternators when they were initially out in stores. So there's this overwhelming game of catch-up I've been playing since the fall of last year, blowing money away at anything and everything, subjecting myself to inflated eBay prices when all I had to do was wait, and just being utterly clueless as to where my focus should be.

I have a pretty good collection although the number is modest compared to a lot of people here, but it's just so scatterbrained. I've been wanting to complete Alts and BTs for a while now, but RID and the Unicron Trilogy keep getting in my way. I also feel this overwhelming need to upgrade my movie figures to their premium counterparts although I should've done that earlier this year.

As for what I'm doing right, I'm currently keeping pace with Animated and Classics. And I pick up Revoltechs every once in a while. Masterpiece is pretty well stocked considering how thin that line is.

So... as veteran collectors... what are some of your suggestions? Also, be sure to share some of your dilemmas and frustrations as well. We know this hobby can be torturous a lot of times.

2. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I collect what I like, I don't care which line they are from.

3. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The good news as while there is a lot out right now the next drought is never far away. I would concentrate on new and recent product for now and not worry about G1 or older until later. Eventually there will be another drought of 2-3 months where few new product is out there and you can use that time to pick up G1 or other older product then.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

To be totally honest, I don't understand the idea of focusing on a line. I buy what I like the look of from any and all lines. Means I don't end up with crap I bought just because it was in whatever line that I end up selling later. I suppose all I can really suggest is to try and overcome the almost OCD need to have ALL of a line.

5. Satomiblood

That's a really nice collection you have there, ChErikS.

Also, I probably didn't word this correctly, but I'm not a completist. I'll collect what I like as well. It's just that I can't focus on one particular series.

Take Armada for example:

I currently have Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp as well as Megatron. The only other figures I really care about from that line are maybe Galvatron, Tidal Wave, Bendy Prime, and the Prime/Jetfire/Overload combination.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I think you need some G1-goodness in there. If you're not a completist for any particular line, then why not approach your collection as kind of a "history of the very best Transformers 1984-present" kind of project? Celebrate the fact that your collection is assorted and not solely one line. I understand the comfort of collecting one line (I'm trying to be a completist with Henkei, for example) and feeling your approach isn't "scatter-brained", but there's a lot of fun to being random!

So, you've got some Armada, RID, Alts, Classics, Animated... why not court the opinions of your fellow TF fans to find out what they consider the very best G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines (and maybe some of the smaller lines you might not have any from) figures are. By getting the best/favourite figures from each line, you can have a truly (personally) definitive collection you can be proud of.

Hope that all makes sense!?

So, get some G1 in there man! They don't have to cost the earth - loose/complete can be had for a reasonable price, and then there are always reissues (Encore, TFC, TRU). My initial recommendations - Soundwave, Grimlock, Prime, one of the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen figures, one of the seeker jets (prob Starscream) and a combiner. Devastator might be the most recognisable, but I've always had a fondness for the "Special Teams!!" (exclamation marks courtesy of Marvel UK), and would opt for Bruticus or Superion.

I'm a luddite when it comes to Beast Wars, so will let some one else suggest a few good 'uns from there.

You may also want to consider some of the Diamond/Art Asylum busts of your fave G1 characters. No, they don't transform, but holy moly, they look fantastic thrown into the melting pot of any display!

In short, celebrate the breadth and scope of an assorted collection, don't try and restrict it!

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'd say take a note from ChErikS, and get new stuff while it's easy to come by, then when there's not so much going on in stores, go back to hunting down past gems.
    I'd suggest just trawling through the likes of TFU.info and figure out a list of your 'must-have' figures.

8. Satomiblood

Yea, I've been putting together a list of what I'm looking for. It does help.

I think I'm going to focus on Alternators as the "backward" line. I've been wanting to build up that collection since March and never continued.

9. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Same.

10. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Just collect what you think are the best figures, I know that sometimes you get tempted to get many more, but just stick with what you like, remember, completists are doomed to fail.

11. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    I can relate to your dilemma. I collected G1, G1 Japanese, Victory, Masterforce, Optimusses, Starscreams, Classics and some moviebots. I didn't know what to put on display and what to keep in my storage. In the end I figured out that my heart lies with G1.

So everything that Isn't G1 had left (or is leaving) my home. Although there are some exceptions (like for example a Movie helmet, God Ginrai and Fire Guts GG), most of it is gone.

Maybe the best way for you is to figure out what you really like to see

Good luck!

12. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am in a similar situation. I collected a load of G1 stuff way back. Then I got out of it and just rediscovered my set recently. Now, I am looking around frantically at all the cool new (and old) toys! I started looking at the Alt line, and now I have six or seven of these... This lead on to looking at the Classics. A couple of the Animated and Movie line seem cool as well... And then I got Masterpiece Skywarp! I agree with just buying the ones that you like, from any line. My issue right now is that there are a couple of cool ones that I missed out on first time around. I just managed to get Cybertron Prime (after the cool Motormaster repaint), and some of these guys are now out of production and so not cheap to get hold of.

I am just buying for me. I pick up the ones that I like, and I dont think that there is a line that I like all the characters from, so I dont want a whole line. It is very tempting to buy every character from a line, but even a full line misses some characters - will the Classics line include Grapple, or Trailbreaker?

13. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To me my greatest dilemma is that after I have purchased a nice hoard of figures, I sit there and wonder... am I even going to get a museum? Since I definitely know that I'm not, I sometimes have wisps of regret spending so much on things that are there for my transient pleasures, especially if most end up in bins... but I'm a TF addict and life follower.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

My issue right now is that there is SO MUCH new stuff coming out. It's like an onslaught (no pun inteded) of stuff. I almost can not wait until the after Christmas drought.

My advice is to buy the stuff while it's on the shelves. If you see it and like it, buy it. Then when the drought comes and you can no longer buy animated on shelves, you won't regret missing one that you hesitated on. Im looking at YOU CYbertron Galvatron! Grr and now's he's an insane amount of cash to get MISB.

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I collected everything before but I got into thinking and sold of all new stuff and focused on G1. I went from loose collector to MIB collector and I have a great MIB collection if I cna say so myself. The perfection in me wants it totalty MIB with inserts/bubbles and so on and all of them have it. I also buy repaints of G1 and I am going to start with other older reissus I miss from G1.

I like the new stuff but My hearth is with G1 and always will.

16. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i collect wat i like too, but im limiting myself to few lines...i started out on the movie line, n got the figures i wanted (the 11 that appeared in the movie only)...animated, pretty much complete...and classics..classics 1.0 pretty much complete too, n now onto TFU...i got a couple of MPs too, and now i started on encore...like u, i wasnt too sure on which lines to start on but i just started on the lines i liked...i like the movie toys, lol..i love animated..and the classics line rocks, i love anything to do with G1..and the obviously i'd love masterpiece and encore...i hope i make sense in wat im telling u..lol

17. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of filling my collection with stuff on clearance.

Cheapformers FTW

*Except Robot Heroes. I pay full price for them the second I can get my hands on them. They are easily my favorite things out there.

18. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

ive gone through 3 big purges where for some reason ill spend a couple g's in a year or two on G1. i love it because each time ive gotten more serious about it. but now with classics and alts ive begun to downsize and only keep what i truly like. g1 is just too big for the smaller fish like myself. ill be getting rid of most of my stuff at the end of the year. classics has certainly given me a better chance at certain figures that i want. i kind of like the idea of spending a little bit more money to get a variant or older figure i missed first time around. i learned the catch up lesson hard with cybertron too. that line made me go crazy because i was late for it.

19. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I limit myself to what I truely like as well. I used to buy a bunch of different bots from different lines then it was getting out of hand. I settled on G1, Masterpiece and Alternators. What I used to do is buy a figure and keep it sealed for a month or two and wait to see if I really wanted it. If not I would sell it or return to store. That way you don't kick yourself for not getting it when you had the chance if you decide latter you do want it.

20. maske2g

maske2g Active Member

I am in a similar boat, in that I am a new collector.

The film reignited my childhood passion, and as I have a bit of disposible income I looked at something else to put some money in.

I started buying a couple of toys for my girlfriends son, and I was over in the States when the dollar rate was 2 to 1, so I took advantage and collected all the movie characters from the film.

Over in ENgland I was down in Brighton one day, and they had a ridiculous sale in Argos and I bought everything in store.

3 leaders Primes for £14 each, and lots of other half price figures.

After buying a couple of my fave toys as a child, Megatron MIBand Soundwave MIB, I've been concentrating on Bulk lots, and looking for AFA bargains.

I've managed to get some really good G1 items in the bulks, combiners, and dinobots, and am completing other toys by buying random weapons etc.

I've completed the Takara collection thanks to Optimal_Convoy on here, and got a few commemoratives.

I'm not familiar with the other newer lines, and just picked up a Unicrom Armada cos its cool and G1 relevant, but I think my next toys other than bulks, will be from the next movie, when again I'll stick to characters actually in the film, and not the others which I find pointless.

Its been really enjoyable for me over the last few months, and I think I will carry on dealing a little if I show a decent enough profit from my haul so far, which is around 100 figures, maybe more, and In the end I suppose I'll be happy to keep a couple of mint G1's for life.