A Classic possiblility.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hiro Prime, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, sometimes a good idea can stare you right in the face and you'd never notice. Both Megatron and Optimus Prime have more than one figure to represent them in the Classics line. Megatron has the Tank and Gun, while Prime has the Deluxe, Voyager, and 20th. Anniversay figures.

It's that last one that got me thinking about some new figures for Classics that could be made. Masterpiece Starscream. They sold the Masterpiece OP, so why not a G1 colored Satrscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Sunstorm, etc... They couls drop a little of the Diecast to bring down the costs a little. I think most of us would welcome it into our collections if Hasbro did it.

Discuss.

2. starkiller80

starkiller80 I'm a Ghostbuster

I think it would be a good idea... I think it would be a great idea if they could get the price down to $20. Although probably worth it, I couldn't see spending more than that for repaints. I think atleast having Starscream available would be awesome!

3. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    I would definitely buy a Skywarp!

I don't know why Hasbro just can't start making stuff for collectors. A seperate line, or something. That way, they could keep the diecast in stuff. I know I would pay a little more for diecast if it was a collectors line.

4. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even if they did bring down the price, I don't think $20 is very likely. Alts are $20 each and MP Starscream is at least twice as complex and larger. I could see it at the Leader Class price... around $40.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    At Botcon last year, Hasbro said that if they brought over Starscream, he'd be in anime colors. I'm hoping he comes, though I doubt we will get the other seekers. We'll be lucky to get just SS.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    what die cast?

7. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I Think Its A Great Idea

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    A. Sunstorm is not a "classic" character.
    B. There isn't even any diecast on MP Starscream to drop.
    C. Hoping for all 3 Seekers as MP's is likely a pipe-dream considering Hasbro hasn't even given us the full sets in the Classics line.
    D. The last thing Hasbro cares about is collectors, as proven time & time again with the Alternators, Commemorative Series and even the current Classics.

Good idea overall, but when it comes to the multibillion dollar corporation known as Hasbro, never expect anything beyond what is already released... and even then, don't count on being able to find it with ease.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, we all know the Titanium line is what it is only because the kiddies have really been clamoring for War Within comic characters like The Fallen. :) 

I could see Hasbro bringing over MP Starscream given the right opportunity. Since the toy is smaller and with a far lower metal content than Prime, I could see them releasing it for maybe as low as $50 (I don't own one, so I'm working largely from hearsay and speculation). The biggest obstacles I see are costs versus finding a proper market and outlet for it, and toy safety laws, since MP Starscream is said to be potentially fragile, and with small parts and sharp points and edges.

10. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, ya got me there, I've only transformed mine once, but as I look at it again, I see what little there is is needed. So to save costs, I'd say drop the stand and Missiles.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yes there is. it's just one piece though, and his design would be even MORE delicate if that piece was plastic.

12. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Honestly, the Starscream mold is far too fragile for these shores. He looks good, but he feels more like a model kit than anything else. A slight breese in the wrong direction is probably enough to put a few stress marks on his hinges. He's small, and overpriced and probably wouldn't sell all that well to begin with. I wouldn't mind a complete redo of this guy, but as it stands, there is no way I could ever see him on the American market.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I don't care if it happens in Classics via Hasbro or Takatomy gets its head out of its ass and spits out 3 accurately colored MPs...but my money will be eagerly waiting if and when it happens either way.

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree, I don't see him passing the drop test. He just feels too delicate. Plus he doesn't like to stand on his own, much like jedi fighter Darth Vader TF.

15. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sure wish they would release Starscream here. I'd buy him even if they kept his green color, (though I'd prefer show accurate colors) but it's not worth it to me paying the import fees. I keep hearing hiow fragile it is, but I hope Hasbro finds some way to do it.

16. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I don't think they could afford to drop anything from MP-STARSCREAM. There's little die-cast and the stand is pretty much essential give his instability.

I tend to think the inflated price was just because he has the "Masterpiece" tag on the box - I've seen some Asian sellers on Ebay letting him go for $30 now.

Having said all that, I love the thing and prefer him (by a long way) to MP OPTIMUS - Guess I just prefer jets over trucks....

17. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    If MP SS was to be sold here, they'd have to change the plastic at the very least. As of now, the model airplane plastic is far too fragile for a little kid to manhandle safely.

The problem is that if they changed the plastic, they'd probably need new molds since all plastics tend to have different properties even when just changing the basic colors let alone completely different plastics from my experience. The shrink values alone would probably be enough to mess up the Masterpiece design and might not allow the pieces to fit together.

Could this all be done? Yeah. Can it be done cost effectively so that Hasbro makes a profit? That I have my doubts about but I can't prove or disprove it.

18. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

its a pipe dream.

didn't most people wait for the 20th Primes to go on bargin sales before they bought them? same with the anniversary Prime.

Too fragile and it needs to be reworked for the Western toy store market. Else you'll have law suits out the wah-zoo with cut fingers on tail fins etc etc.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'd hit it, 3 times.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good idea. I'd hit it.