Minor/Repaint: A Classic(al) Wheeljack mod (from E. Downshift)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SMOG, I'm having trouble w/ the swivle joint connecting the halves. Any other tips?

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Sounds interesting... got any pics of what they look like? :) 

Errr... well, y'see... I still haven't installed the swivel joint on mine, because I haven't had the time to do any bashing work lately (soon though... I have so many things I need to finish up... grrrr).

For the similar mod I made to Energon Ironhide, I used a pre-made ratchet joint from a Zoids Buster Eagle... I used a knife to chop it down to size, and then I installed it on one half, cementing it in place with Shoe Goo (my personal choice for attaching things that I want to STAY attached :)  ). After the Shoe Goo set, I did the other side.

Unfortunately, I'll need a smaller joint for Wheeljack... I think I might have some lego stuff that will do the trick. What kind of problems are you having? Can't find another toy to cannibalize for a good rotating joint?

zmog

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

What do you mean by 'having trouble with'? Can't find a joint at all, or can't work out how to connect one you have found? Personally, the waist swivel on mine will be scratched from styrene (either all sheet, or tube and strip, both will work fine) - just by layering components together and bonding them with poly cement you can pretty much create parts like they're moulded.

4. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    here you go fella's
    Custom Lacia Stratos Turbo 539 Alitalia Decals
    [​IMG]
    Have at it.
    Print the image at 8.5 x 5.5
    Visit the FAQ section at sector70.com to learn how to print and apply these decals.
    Enjoy guys,
    WJ

5. SMOG

Cool! Thanks man... looks good.
    (any pics of them applied?)

I'll have to remove the deco from one of my Downshifts anyway, since I plan on making a battlecharger out of him... I can try the stickers out that way.

zmog

6. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    no unfortunately not. I never quite got to it when i started working on my wheeljack out of the model kit of an actual stratos turbo. So yeah, do as you wish with em. Let me know how they turn out.

7. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I totally f***ed up that bendy prime waist joint. I may have one shot at salvage, but it's not looking good. I just can't find any swivle joints out there. Ramrider, if you succsesfully make a joint for DS, I think I may just have you commission one for me.

8. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    RIT dye. we have a tutorial on it.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Making the components would be a doddle, though from what I've seen, the way you're doing yours may well be significantly different from my own; I'm not just adding a swivel to Downshift - i've fused all the crotch components together with new ball joints, and I'll be adding the post to that, and carving a hole in the torso halves to allow it to swivel. At the very least, the dimensions might be different, so it may not just be a case of replicating my own joint.

But I'd be happy to knock you up a swivelly post for the job, or (possibly easier) help you work out how to do your own. If you want to hit me up via PM, or MSN, we can have a good banter about it. :D 

11. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome work there. I've wanted to vector trace something similar forthe longest time but you've save me the effort!

12. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    "SMOG - I figure if parts-forming is good enough for Jin Saotome it's good enough for me! "

I have been part-forming since I started bashing. My first bash was Warpath done Jin style, so part-former I will always be. OG Transformers all partformed in some form or another (hands, heads, weapons, limbs...) I have never seen a problem with it. Anyone who isn't down with part-forming isn't Old-School like the rest of us. You new fan-dangled kids and your TFs that can do poses to make the Karmasutra jealous. Bahhh...

I should start a thread...PART-FORMERS FOR LIFE!!!! It just does not feel real unless there is a part to be lost!!!

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    that's a big of a generalization. I grew up with G1 and I hate parts-forming. back then it was ok, but not today (imo) as the engineering to avoid it is there now and wasn't then. But to say that if ya don't like parts-forming you're not old school is false.

14. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    Sorry for the rant...but I wanted to express my opinion on part-forming. Why all the hate toward it? I understand for modern molds, but when it comes to bashing I don't see the hate. I actually have very limited funds to do what I can with what I have done so far, not unlimited plastic and computers like Hasbro today. and to me it adds a touch of old-school to my work; since, regrettably, that seems to me what I have become over the years..."OLD" school :( 

like I said, without it there is nothing to loose :) 

No Offense Redline...by any means, we are all old school IMO.

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I certainly don't have large resources either hehehe. the thing is, is that often times its really more about work and ingenuity more than it is materials or money when it comes to figuring out how to make something able to be an actually part of the main TF and still do what you want it to. I think it greatly adds to the reward factor (your satisfaction at your job well done) when its over if you can pull it off. I dont' have a problem with the occassional accessory, especially weapons, but I try to limit the number of parts as much as I can as well. I think its more fun to literally change an object into another, instead of basically solve a 3D puzzle (which is really what parts-forming is). To each their own of course!

16. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That is a brilliant mod. Nice.

17. SMOG

Please post pics of this when you're done! I'd be thrilled to see how someone solves the articulation issues on this figure! :) 

For the record, I really do not like parts-forming... my comment about Jin Saotome was kind of a joke. I don't consider this bash finished until I find a way to integrate those doors/wings into the figure without "cheating".

This logic about G1 parts-forming assumes that we were somehow more tolerant of parts-forming when we were kids... I hated parts-forming as a kid. I considered it sort of cheating even back then! :) 

Figures like Omega Supreme, Ultra Magnus or the Seekers... even Prime with his little pop-off fists... that really bugged me. I expected better (at least Prime's fists could be stored in his cab...). Defensor was the king of combiners in my mind, just by virtue of his head being integrated into Hotspot, rather than being part of the pile of extra bits you had to have on the side.

Scratch that... PUZZLER was the king of combiners... and he was a GOBOT! :) 

Missile launchers and guns, etc... that was tolerable, but of course, having those bits integrated would be even more awesome. Now we're seeing more figures that manage that, which is cool.

Obviously kitbashers have their own challenges to overcome... customizing a figure to look different than it was engineered to look is not easy. However, I consider having a fully integrated, "perfect tranformation" to be pretty much the apex ideal of kitbashing. It's what makes TF kitbashing a true test among toy customizers... it's not enough to swap some parts, throw on some sculpted details and repaint. It also has to work!

For me, parts-forming is just the product of laziness or failure in the design process... though in fairness, some bashers just put the aesthetic of the final figure ahead of the gestalt qualities of the whole object (which for me includes the engineering... the element that separates a Transformer from other action figures).

Ahem. So yeah, that's my take. :) 

Agree!

zmog

18. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

I wish I'm back to work so that I could grab one TF energon Downshift for me and turn him into Wheeljack.

Well first things first I'm gonna be a father this month so mellow down on TFs.

I will find a way...

19. REDLINE

News Credits:
    preemptive congrats, solidus :) 

20. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Ei thanks, and its a baby boy !!!

Speaking of Wheeljack my wife was supportive of my TF hobby and we might be able to get one TF Downshift sometime :)