A 3rd Faction?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DrOblivian, Sep 24, 2017.

1. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor JaAmS

Hasbro was going to actually attempt a potential 3rd faction at one point with the Star Seeker - Transformers Wiki in TF: Prime but it fell through because of the way the show and toyline ended up going.

A discussion in another thread got the gears rolling and i wanted to hear what everyone's thoughts on a potential 3rd fraction would be, whether it has no place at all existing or if it did how would it work?

Anyway if one were to happen my thoughts on it would have to be using the starseekers hatred for both factions as a starting point.

They would have to be a smaller faction as to not take the spotlight away from the real conflict Bots VS Cons but big enough that they could be a thorn in both of their sides.

They would probably have popped up during the war rather than at the beginning. being a product of the hatred for both factions and what the war has done to their home.

Also probably a guerrilla faction looking to ruin the plans of both sides.

The Decepticons relationship with them would be the same as their relationship with the Autobots. However the Autobots relationship while not friendly, Optimus would never go out of his way to issue orders attacking them directly but rather simply defend themselves from them and try to avoid them. (i mean they are esentuially just pissedboff civilians, and optimus would be simpathetic, where Megatron would just want them all dead, just like the autobots.)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quintasons were a 3rd faction in G1

Minicons were a supposed to be 3rd faction in the Unicron Trilogy but they aligned with the Bots/Cons mostly.

3. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

There have been plenty of additional factions or neutral Transformers through the brand's history. Predacons in Prime. The Cybertronians in G2.

Personally, I'm almost always down for more neutral Transformers and additional factions and alien races. It shows the universe to not be as black and white and two dimensional. I'd be down for a faction like the Cybertronian Empire in G2 that views both main factions as lesser versions of the Transformers race and other races as not worthy of being called life, although I'd get rid of the budding means of reproduction. The Star Seekers didn't like Transformers from Cybertron much themselves.

• Like Like x 6
  4. DrOblivian

ehhh the quints are an entirely separate species unrelated to the civil war. They are enemies of cybertronians in general and always have been, even before the civil war in most cases.
    As for the minicons, they aren't a separate faction, you said so yourself, they joined up with the Bots and Cons.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DrOblivian

well yeah, there have always been more factions in general, but they never stick and are always temporary. i'm talking about the idea of a potential 3rd permanent major faction being added to the Transformers brand as a whole to be included alongside bots and cons and for it to stick around as a major player for years to come.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I have a pirate display set up currently with Thundertron as the centerpiece, so nothing that would tromp on my headcanon...

There's also Unicron's acolytes, the Circle of Light, and I guess NAILs. I guess if I were to spin my own I'd probably have it be a faction of defectors that aligned themselves with organic and other mechanoid aliens out of guilt, or rather against the rest of Cybertron as a whole for it's destructive nature much in the same vein as the Black Box Consortia.

or maybe like, a different set of pirates.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

Given that there are multiple continuities, I don't know if there will, or even if there should be a single third faction that always plays a big role. I think continuities should do different things from each other, so maybe in some continuities but not others.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Is that the continuity with Leige Maximo and whashisface that operated on IDW Arcee? Yeah, I remember loving that concept. What was their homeworld called, The Hub? Core? I mostly remember that series because of Geoff Senior's art (sadly not used throughout the series...he tag teamed with a lesser artist unfortunately).

It's also why I was so upset with Regeneration because when they announced that they were going to continue from where Furman left off, I thought they were going to start from the cliffhanger in G2, not G1 issue 80.

But yeah, I can definetly get behind more factions or seperatists in general. As much as the war affected and encompassed all Cybertronians, it also makes a ton of sense that there'd be mechs/bots who don't have anything to do with either side and/or try to stay out/away from it. I'd imagine there'd be people who'd profit from it.

So yes, bring on distant mech planets civilizations far from the war, started by pacifists like Marvel Fort MAx initially who in search of peace ended up on Nebulos. Bring on Space Pirates that had no allegiance to any side. Profiteers who sell weapons and tech to the highest bidder regardless of faction. Bounty Hunters like Lockdown, who's in allegiance to himself. etc etc.

Heck, I'f love a group of space farers like my own head canon, who lost their home planet to the ravages of war and struck out Macross-style in search of a new one, travelling in a group of city-ship titans and other ship-class size TFs. They're composed of bots, aliens, humans, all dropping factions and unifying in search of a new home and the adversity they meet as they tour the galaxy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I would love it if they reused the Starseekers in another continuity.
    Thundertron is a great design and i love the idea of A band of space pirates ammasing other Transformers who hate how the Cybertronaina war affected the colonies.
    Swearing revenge on both factions.

If there is a third faction introduced into any new continuity i would actually want it to be equal to the Autobots and Decepticons in power.
    I also would not want them to band together against the third faction like in G2, but rather fight them on their own like in the Sunbow cartoon.

I have actually used the idea of Cybertronian civilians creating an army to retake Cybertron and destroy both warring factions in my fanfiction.
    I think it's a concept that fits very well into the distopian world of Transformers:
    For Civilians to finally be pushed too far. Ending up hating both factions for how their refusal to make a peacetreaty because of dark ambitions or heroic stubbornnes held them hostage for millions of years and destroyed their planet.
    I love the idea of these civilians using science to give themselves more powerfull bot and altmodes and create an army that is more than capable to be a severe threat to both Original factions. And i love the idea that in their hatred for the war perpetuated by both factions and their aim to destroy both factions they spread even more violence into the galaxy.

• Like Like x 4
  10. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I'd be up for a third faction. In IDW, in particular, the two factions don't really make sense. The Decepticon origin is fine (started out good, became corrupted over time.) But wouldn't the Autobots--who IIRC were the enforcers or armed forces of the Senate--have initially attracted a bunch of bigoted functionists who wanted to put those filthy mining bots in their place, return to the good ol' days of functionism, etc? So why would the 'good' bots who saw the flaws of the system but were repulsed by the Decepticons' violence have joined them? Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to start a third faction instead?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

They (mostly Optimus) were trying to redeem the name. Make it stand for what it was supposed to stand for, not what it became.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    That would make more sense, but a lot of those bigoted functionists seem to have been recruited by the Decepticons in IDW. Which also makes sense. Because all most of such people are really interested in is getting to employ their sadist tendencies on helpless victims and being on the winning side. Which the Decepticons initially seemed to be.

Of course there would also be idealists who would want to put the Decepticons in their place. But i assume they were part of the Autobots and people like Optimus looked the other way as long as the fought well and obeyed orders. Just look at guys like Roadbuster, Whirl, The Dinobots...
    They are not so much different from what such senate supporters would be.

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

One thing I liked in Prime were the other factions the Predacons and Airachnid's enthralled Insecticons.

Though I didn't like Predaking himself or the brutish Insecticons with that corny war cry. That said, I never like the Insecticons in any series but extra factions do make things interesting.

Jhiaxus Cybertronians were also well done or Scorponok's Terrorcons in the Energon comics.

Heralds of Unicron also work nicely whether it's the legions of Sweeps seen in Dreamwave or just the minions of Unicron from the Universe series.

Only time I don't like extra factions are when they're non Transformers races or Junkions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

From what I remember with the war within books they also did a bunch of fractured splinter factions

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

True such as Ultracons and the lesser known 4th team/faction to be called Predacons.

16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    I still really like the Star Seeker concept, pirates are always fun. I was personally always a fan of the Cybertronian Empire from the G2 comic. Cybertronian (faction) - Transformers Wiki

"The Cybertronians, also known as Decepticons, Second Generation Transformers, and other combinations thereof, are Transformers descended from the Decepticons on Cybertron in the time after the Ark's fateful crash on Earth. They were created by the rediscovery of "budding", a mitotic means of reproduction that diminishes the influence of Primus's life force. As a result, the Cybertronians as a whole are marked by a distinct amorality.

They share many of the philosophies of their Decepticon ancestors but otherwise do not take kindly to being associated with them. The Cybertronians view themselves as something better, a stage of Transformer life far surpassing the others. In fact, their self-appointed pedestal is so high that they can barely conceive of non-Transformers as alive at all. They left Cybertron some time ago and have since dedicated themselves to cyberforming other planets, eliminating natives with clinical detachment."

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    You've got your Heralds of Unicron.

My idea was to add G2 Autobots and Decepticons in as addition factions, Autobots that have Decepticon qualities and Decepticons that have Autobot qualities. In a way combining Shattered Glass and G2.

18. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

The whole notion of the Transformers lore is the Cybertronian civil war. While there are other factions already named by previous posters, the premiss IMHO should not change, and if more factions are to be added, they should either be temporary or minor enough to deviate from the main premiss.

Exceptions of races interwinded to the lore (Quintessons etc) apply.

19. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    That's always been a grey area.

If they are reformatted Cybertronians, they generally maintain their faction sigils...they're just corrupted Autobots or Decepticons.

If they are born from Unicron, that technically no longer makes them actual Transformers (as defined as a transforming living robot from the home-planet Cybertron or born via Cybertronian technology) and are "Unicronians". The Blentrons are technically "Unicronians".

20. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An ideal faction would be one that is waging war against both Autobots and Decepticons

• Like Like x 1