A $35 movie ticket?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ViperDragon, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=43381

Deluxe Theaters are on the Way

The Hollywoood Reporter says a new deluxe cinema will open this year in suburban Chicago, one of 50 U.S. multiplexes set for construction during the next five years through a new $200 million joint venture headed by Australian entertainment conglomerate Village Roadshow.

The planned theaters will boast boosted amenities, including plush reserved seating, special parking privileges and upscale food and beverage offerings with seat-side waiter service.

Some or all of those offerings are available at existing deluxe cinemas in select U.S. markets that charge $20 or less for movie tickets. But Gold Class auditoriums will feature a 40-seat-maximum patron capacity and an even higher-end atmosphere, at the estimated price of $35 per ticket.

Village Roadshow Gold Class Cinemas also plans to open a site in Redmond, Wash., by year's end, with about 20 additional sites planned for rollout by 2010.

Companies partnering with Village Roadshow in the joint venture include Act III Entertainment, a company co-owned by Norman Lear and Hal Gaba; Michael Lambert's Lambert Entertainment; and the Retirement Systems of Alabama, a pension investment fund.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For $35? No way. I would much rather wait and watch the movie at home on my widescreen. Also, for $35 a pop you can buy the Blu-Ray version! Besides by 2010 gas will probably be $5 a gallon.

2. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    they're building theaters that only hold 40 people instead of you know, maybe spending some money to research new energy technology...... hell, i'd even settle for spending some money to make decent movies

3. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Sweet. The one in "suburban Chicago" is in South Barrington, which is only about a 20-minute drive for me. For those familiar with the Chicago burbs, it's near the shopping town mecca of Schaumburg.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Seems like a huge waste of cash - movies are already expensive enough, thanks. For that price, you should get dinner too.

5. ViperDragon

So would you pay $35 for a movie ticket? If they only seat 40 people I can see where they came up with $35 ticket price. Question is would the ticket price include a meal and drink or something?

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Wonder what my military discount could get me on one of those tickets...
    DN

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I would rather spend like $11.50 for IMAX. I've been to a similar place like this, where they bring you food in the theater and it's a real hit or miss. I found it a pain in the ass to cut my steak in the dark. It's fun to do it once to see what it's like, but that's it. Not worth the money to keep doing it over and over.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'll just buy the Dvd for 15 bucks and watch it in my room and spend the rest of the money on food.

9. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I might be willing to pay that much for a movie, if I knew that a sniper was waiting in the projector booth to silently take out anyone talking during the movie.

10. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Yes, I would pay $35 for a movie ticket. Granted, I wouldn't go see every movie that I want to see in this type of theatre. I'd still go to the regular mega-plex to see most films. A 40 seat theatre provides an intimate setting. After reading this, I researched the local news and found out that most of these Gold Cinemas limit the ages to 18-and-up (how nice would that be?). In addition, it sounds like this Gold chain also does a booking system where you can choose your seat much like you would an airplane. Plus, they'll serve liquor.

I could care less about the gourmet/restaurant style food. I'm not going to eat a steak or ravioli in a dark theatre. Having that small setting with those little extra thing thrown in will make me want to hit that theatre up a couple times a year. Nice little date night thing with the wife, away from the kids.

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It's actually really strange cause I got one of these theaters near me where it's limited seating, food service, liquor, age restriction, the whole 9 yards, but the tickets are only 18.

12. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    <shudders at the thought of anyone calling his town of residence a "mecca" of anything>

It's an interesting concept, I guess, but if I was going to pay premium dollars for entertainment, I'd rather have something live. Then again, the friends I go to see movies with are so cheap, they require that there be time to sneak into at least two other movies on the same ticket cost before they'll even consider it, so maybe I'm just the target audience there :p 

13. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

This is a straight up date movie theater, sounds like one i'd bring my girlfriend to once in a while.

14. ViperDragon

That would be nice!

15. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    We have a place here in columbus called Flickers Pub. For $40 you get 2 tickets to a movie, a Latge Pizza, 2 candies, a pitcher of beer, and all you can eat bread sticks. Its set up like a normal theatre with the exception that you get your food delivered to you before the movie starts. If you want more bread sticks or something to drink, you just push a button and they show up with what you want. Its a cool place. They only have 4 screens though.

16. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I like how you think :thumb 

17. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Man, if the $35 only goes to one ticket, and one ticket alone - f*** that. The whole $40 for two tickets & dinner - that's pretty much what you'd spend anyways, except this way, it's all in one place. For $35, I'd better get a voucher that I can exchange for the DVD when it's released. Even then, you're still spending about $15 for the ticket. And, I'm 45 minutes away from where they're building it...my new car might be doing better with gas than my old one, but with these prices, there's no way I'm spending that much money in one night, with nothing physical to show for it.

Tim, are they replacing the AMC up there?

H3!!, buy me a Deluxe Transformer, and I'll do it. :redface2: 

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually started a thread thanks to THIS thread because of my recent movie going expereinces. To sum it up though, if I was really looking forward to a movie, I would gladly pay that much for a ticket to avoid the crap I've put up with at normal movies.

19. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    i could see paying 35+ for a show that has no kids or teens and if it served alcohol.Vegas is the only place that you can drink beer and watch a movie.

20. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not true, there's theaters out there in the mid west that do it with some of the movies that aren't as recent. Even if the movie was a month or two old, I'd be down for that.

But of course I live in california so there's no way in hell drinking while in a public theater is gonna happen here.