'84-'85 G1 popularity

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I've seen lots of love for TFs of this line/time period. Been meaning to ask you guys who are among fans of this category - what is it about '84-'85 G1 that appeals so much to you?

2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The transformation from real looking cars, plains, trucks, ect to robots. The alt modes for it's time could pass for a stand alone toy.

3. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    For me it's the characters that were showcased, and therefore fleshed out more. In actuality, it could have been any of the lesser known transformers just as long as they had as much exposure initially.

That's the reason so many people would go majorly crazy for a Classics Wheeljack, Soundwave, and Jazz.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I grew up on G1. The toys transformed into cool alt modes, were well made, most we're made partially with di cast metal (which is a lost art); but it wasn't just the toys alone. Each of the toys came with well thought out bios about the characters; not the little blurbs that come with the figures now.
    I mean yea they're not pose able as Transformers are now, but they're cool in their own right.

5. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    For me, it's somewhat hoe Zherbus said. The 84-85 characters just had quite a bit of charisma. They were they ones we were first exposed to, and it was easily to become the favorites due to them having a lot more screen time then most. And they also seemed to be the ones that were also a bit more grounded in reality.

The 86 and forward characters seem to have lost that particular piece of the "robots in disguise" angle. For instance all the space hopping, and the ridiculous amount of other alien lifeforms in season 3 took a lot away from it for me. Mind you, most of the few episodes on Earth, during that season, I enjoyed tremendously.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They bring me back to the initial feeling of novelty of the entire concept. Before Transformers, all I had was imagining my Matchbox cars were sentient, like at age six. TFs took it up like four levels, made them aliens, puzzles, robots, good/evil. The whole package sent my imagination into sugar shock. :D 

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It's largely a nostalgia factor for me, though at the time there were very few giant robot/mecha type of shows in America. And those were my favorite kinds of cartoons. From Voltron/Go Lion and Voltes V to Transformers. Hell, I even loved Go-Bots as a kid.

Not to mention that for 1984, those were fantastic toys. If it wasn't TFs, then your only choices for toys were Star Wars or Hot Wheels. That year broke the mold, so to speak, on the toy industry when the Reagan Administration lifted the toy-to-cartoon ban.

Also, because of the cartoon I have a fair bit more familiarity with the characters behind the toys, which leads only to more interest. It's why I only collect the Classics/Universe line now. Because those are the characters I care about. And because I was born in '83, so I don't have any G1 figures.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the realistic alt modes, the good characterizations, nostalgia, partly the die-cast because it was used properly. etc.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They were featured in the show a lot more than later characters, and got more character development for the most part. Look at the early minibots and how much character they had, there is no way any company would do that nowadays for a $3 toy.

10. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah for me it was the realistic alt modes & great characters which were so cool. Sadly as others mentioned, once the original Diaclone/Microman toy lines had been used and Hasbro started using it's own designs (the first real Transformers toys when you think about it) was when I started to loose interest in the toys.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

I grew up with those Transformers and I'm a huge fan of the characters and toys.

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    They're the beginning of a legacy. How can any self-respecting TF fan not love them?

13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I grew up with the toys i guess its nestalogya ( sorry about the spelling) ive given up on g1 and moveing onto the classic toys there just so much better to me

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it's where it all began -for the franchise, and for me.

Toy-wise, I think they are the best TF toys we have ever got. Nostalgia plays a part, of course, but for me, G1 will always BE Transformers and everything else is a tribute/homage (at best).

I wouldn't say I restrict my love to 84/85 line though - there are some great things from (esp) 1986, 1987-1991 as well!

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I grew up with G1. Although I really enjoyed the cartoon show and some of the comics... the actual toys were IT for me ; the realistic altmodes, the die cast parts, chrome apps and rubber wheels and even some of the odd proportions and shapes.

I always considered the cartoon aesthetic a simplification - thus, inferior - to the actual toy.

16. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

Nostalgia; I grew up with them and the show and to this day I still love the characters. Also, for that time they were pretty damn cool toys and there was nothing like it anywhere.

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It reminds me of better times. Times when I didn't have a care in the world except for transforming Soundwave in the time that it took me to make the transformation sound with my mouth. The excitement of just being lost in another world along with my toys.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    yep, as soon as Hasbro got involved it was all downhill. They just got worse and worse until they hit rock bottom.

Early G1 were just better toys. More interesting, more believable, better made. There was a craftsmanship and an attention to detail that was promptly chucked out the window. They got rid of the die-cast, they got rid of the rubber tyres, the chrome, the detailing, the spring-loaded weapons. Worst of all, the transformations became less involved, and alt modes became less and less seamless at concealing the robot underneath. Even as a kid I found powermasters and pretenders ridiculous. Check out Landmine's pitiful alt mode. Honestly, how bad can you get?

[​IMG]

And it's not like the bot mode was any better.

I still think it was a dumb strategy. Something like Harry Potter matures with it's audience, but Hasbro took the opposite approach, abandoning them by aiming at a younger and younger audience, responding with gimmicks rather than quality, and hopping on all kinds of fads.

I was basically too young when G1 hit, so I missed most of it. I treasured every early transformer I managed to come across in the years that followed. The stuff that was available at the time; micromasters, sparkabots etc, I'm sorry, but it was just shit, and it never excited me the way the real G1 stuff did. You can tell I'm still bitter about it.

I'm exactly the same. I never understand those who complained about the toys not matching the cartoon. I always felt if anything it was the cartoon that got it wrong.

19. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I have to admit though... out of all pretenders, I do like Landmine best.

But generally speaking, yeah I agree with you about the merits of the early G1 toys vs the cartoon aesthetics.

20. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's a very unfair question.

I have been a fan from the beginning, having a pretty good G1 collection at one point. For me, it was the cartoon/comic book to toy representation. Not accurate by any means, but it gave the toys the character and playability that made them so much fun.

Over the years, as the franchise grew and changed, G1 figures really did nothing for me anymore. They were bricks compared to their descendants, and no bit of nostalgia could keep me interested in them. By this point, it was all about posability for me, so the bricks made room for the new blood.
    Sure, I still have some from my childhood like Predaking, Prime, the Dinobots and a few others, and have collected a few more over the years just for fun, but I'm just no longer a fan of the first series.

Don't get me wrong, they're still classics and I appreciate anyone who spends the time and money to collect and showcase them, but that's just not me anymore. I prefer modern engineering, and if I were to get G1 figures, it'd be in the form of Classics and Universe now.

As for nostalgia, well, that only goes so far.