80's TV Show scripts (and animation cels) up for bid = what exactly are these?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Swoop Dogg, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Not sure if this is the correct forum but...

I found these items (scripts and animation cels from the 80's cartoon) while searching on the internet:

Bid online now at AuctionZip Live! - The Upcoming Live Auction Locator - Fast, Easy, and Free!

Does anybody know exactly what they are? A lot of them are "photocopies". Does this mean that the owner just photocopied what he has and put the copies up for sale or did he originally get photocopies back in the '80s?

What about the animated cel sheets? Where those used for anything?

Some of this stuff looks cool - I was thinking about bidding on it but want to be sure what it actually is before I bid.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The link isn't working for me. T_T

3. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Still works for me...

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ah, there it goes. They look legit, and I think these are the packets they would give to people either working for the show or Hasbro. And the auctions are by Heritage, who specialize in comic book stuff. So I'm sure they did their homework before putting these up on the block.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Wow neat lot.

The photocopies are probably copies that were made at the time, there'd be multiple copies of a working script at the time, so this is just one of them.

The animation cells and other art is probably from the developing stages to get a feel for what the character would really look like, hence Wheelies miscolor.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ha, neat. Noticed a few interesting names listed, Skyfire was previous Fireball? Blaster was Blastbox?

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It could also be these sketches were photocopied so they could be distributed to multiple staffers at once (possibly in different studios?) to generate control art, promotional pieces, merchandising, etc. Or maybe they would have become part of one of the show bibles.

It looks like a lot of the merch is scripts from recordings and auditions (which is pretty awesome to begin with), and various parts of color cel tests, control art, and production notes. Assuming this stuff is legit (which is probably is), it's some pretty cool stuff.

8. msol

msol Well-Known Member

A bunch of us over at the Allspark will be bidding on some of these items, and then sharing them with the fandom (probably through TFwiki, I'm guessing). Jim Sorenson, the guy who wrote The Ark Compendium Of Transformers Animation Models, is organizing it and taking PayPal donations to fund bids. If you guys want to see all of this stuff, he's probably the go-to guy right now.