80's MIB and MISB question?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I am guessing it is because of the movie. But tons of G1 TFs that I never see MIB or MISB are all of the sudden appearing. My question is how did people in the 80's know to keep these toys MISB, and that they would be worth something someday? Before I started collecting I thought the only thing to do with toys was rip open the box and play with them. So what was it that made people think these toys are going to be valuable someday?

2. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Like which ones?

I honestly can't think of any that I've not seen countless times before. Maybe more AFA stuff is showing up, from people thinking they can get the most money now.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Grimlock and Gnaw were 2 that I haven't seen alot of, that i am seeing more often. But that wasn't the point I wanted to know how people to know to keep these toys(as in TFs in general) sealed?

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some collectors were old enough to be tidy and kept their toys in the boxes maybe?
    My son tries to be a MIB collector (I am not) but he throws out inserts. His TFCs wouldn't worth much :p 

I know what you mean, I really wish my parents kept all Chogokin and Microman toys and Ultraman trading cards for us. Though the way my brother and I played with them they wouldn't have been sellable condition anyway :lol 

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

The reason I've always heard was "un-openned stock".

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

When I got Powermaster Prime in the late '80s, I played with it for awhile and put everything back in the box. I eventually got away from TFs and it just sat there in storage for many years. I imagine a lot of the MIB Transformers have similar histories.

As for the MISB figures, I can only think that it was leftover stock, as butz suggested.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    When I was kid, I saw no reason for keeping boxes and stuff. Much less for leaving a toy IN a box.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was a kid, every single part of the box got used.

The logos/insignias/artwork got cut out and glued to school notebooks or folders I was using, and the boxart from the back went up on the wall of my room.

Funny thing is, I don't regret it in the slightest. Hats off to MIB/MISB collectors, but I'll never be one.

9. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

As today, there were collectors who purchased them and left them MISB back then. Granted not as many. Also, as butz said, leftover stock is a big one. I remember going into World Trade Center Collectibles across from the Twin Towers in 1993 and seeing the entire line from 1986-1988. Most of my collection came from a former manager at TRU who fell on hard times and had to sell it all(these were MISB), and from a friend I made frequenting the local comic shop who wanted my ragged copy of X-Men #1. I traded it for just about the entire 1984-1986 line. Half was MIB the other MISB.

There was also Toy Shop magazine.

I knew a guy in Texas who would spend about $40,000 a month buying old stock fron Japan. He must have had 10 MISB Minervas.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I never once thought to keep a toy in it's box when I was a kid, even if it was a toy i didnt even really like. The whole fun part of them was to open and transform and play with them. Even if I wanted to keep the boxes for them, I know my parents would have thrown them away anyways.

11. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Much of the MIB can be traced to youth with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My Dad got me into the habit of keeping the boxes; he used to build model aircraft, and pointed out to me that several of the 1940s/50s/60s engines he had were worth a lot of money (damn near a thousand, in at least one case) because he still had the packaging for them. Consequently almost every G1 toy I had as a kid still has all its packaging, and every new TF I have bought since then does as well.

13. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when I first started collecting beastwars toys I pretended that the box/card was a fallen stasis pod. I would have all of my other figures in different parts of my room racing to get to the new maximal/predicon first. I would then open the box making door opening sound effects, take out the new toy and discard to box.

It wasn't untill beast machines that I at least kept the card and instructions.

14. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

mnaybe they were kids who didnt really like the toys, or they already had it. Some might be gifts that were never given.

15. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Scenario 1: Not very likely to happen
    An old friend has a LOAD of MISB TF's. His family had quite a bit of money and his father was into collecting model cars. They'd purchase 3 of every figure.

1. to open
    2. to keep sealed for dad
    3. to keep sealed for the son, because he was copying dad.

Because of this odd situation, they had (still have?) 2 of every figure, sealed.

Scenario 2: most likely
    My other friend wasn't into TF's, but received them as gifts. Since he wasn't too keen on them, they were never opened, and sat in the closet for years. He has about 6 MISB pieces with the rarest being Shockwave. He's thinking about selling soon to assist on the down payment of a townhouse.

Scenario 3: this happens
    I was able to find a seller on eBay with old store stock. I purchased 3/4's of a case of MISB insecticons back in 2005. These things are beyond mint.

[​IMG]

16. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

i open all my stuff the only things i have still in the box are 2 gorilla aliens and one bull alien from 1992 (nothing to do with transformer), i don't think there worth anything. also does anyone know if the old dicktracy toy cars are worth anything?

17. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Those Insecticons are super-nice!!!

I've come across deals where toys were bought ahead of time as gifts, and were forgotten about. Only to be found 20years later, and Ebayed into my greedy little fingers.

18. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Seriously those are amazing. Congrats!

19. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler