80's Matchbox Robot-Cars and stuff

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by AutoCon2076, Apr 1, 2008.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Like most of us here on the boards; I myself am a child of the 80s. During those wonderful technotronic years of power-ballads and progressive house, I played with toys. Lots of toys. Aside from Transformers I loved Hotwheels and Matchbox. I remember some really neat Matchbox vehicles, but I can't remember the name of the line. I think it was "Road Warriors" or something; mind you not the ones that came out in the late '90s with the drivers (and the horrid tv show).

I remember two vehicles specifically. The first was a Kenworth big-rig towtruck. The truck itself was a tiger-striped recolor w/green plastic I believe. It also featured snap-on weaponry that covered the windshield and such. The other vehicle was more-or-less a playset. If memory serves it has six wheels I think, was dark gray, and about maybe a foot in length. You could load a car in the front I believe and launch it forwards. I believe it may have come with some kind of armed Camaro or Firebird.

Lastly was the Matchbox Parasites line (I think)? It had a line of hollow die-cast vehicles that had a robot that would fold up inside. Kind of like a pretender, but instead of transforming it just yogaed into the vehicle; leaving weaponry sticking out of the windows and such. Does anyone remember these toy-lines? Anyone have pictures? Anyone wanna sell me the tiger-striped tow-rig? Or the black Parasites van with the yellow and chrome robot? I think the latter was a bad guy...

~Z

2. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
  3. AutoCon2076

"Extermasite" - yep, that's the one I had alright. Thanks for the link - now that I know its name maybe I can find one for old-time sake.

~Z

4. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I still have(somewhere...) a white Matchbox car, IIRC it resembles and 80's F-car(Firebird/Camaro). It has maroon missiles and guns all over it, as well as gold-chromed armor. I'll try to find it and snap pics.

5. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

As promised, pictures of the Matchbox. Turns out, it was a 'Vette and just as cool as I remembered it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

Road Wars!

I had a few of those, actually I think I may still have them. They were part of the Road Wars line from Matchbox (may have been Hot Wheels too). The line started out with cars adapted to have snap-on armor, which that corvette and the tow truck (called Tow Nailer, I have it, it's one of the best ones) are from. The leader of the "bad guys" was a very slick black car with silver armor, some sort of concept.

The line evolved into the cars with little tiny drivers, with working gear-driven gimmicks like giant drills or firing weapons. I think the original line was cooler, though, kind of like a postapocalyptic Mad Max type line. I'll see if I can't find some of them if anyone's interested in some photos.

7. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

Correction - Road Blasters

Actually, the Matchbox line was called Road Blasters now that I look it up. I have a few of these, pretty neat toys for their day. They were simply stock Matchbox cars modified with armor and guns. The tow truck was probably the best of the line.

Tim

8. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Thy wish is granted!

Matchbox Road Blasters: http://www.madmaxmodels.com/roadblasters.html

9. AutoCon2076

Thanks for the great replies. So the line was Road Blasters, eh? And my favorite tow truck has name; awesome. Now to check eBay for a set...

~Z

10. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Kin of off topic, but I assumed you meant all non tf generic robots . I remember having some type of transforming car that turned into a robot, it had a removable set of mini wheels that when you pulled it back, it would make the car go off really fast, anyone remember this?

11. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow, those pics bring back a whole ton of memories for me.
    I had a handfull of the little cars but I had that catalogue and being poor I spent a lot of time looking at it. :( 
    I'd like to get those bigger vehicles, just because they were almost mythical, unattainable things that I never even saw in a shop.

The ones I recall owning were Carpow, Barrel Bomber, Motor Master and Stick Up Pick up.

12. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Anyone know where I might find the toy truck road blaster? I forgot about these toys till I saw Wreck It Ralph. I was googling about the Road Blasters game, and ran across the toy line based on it. I forgot I had these toys till now.