Customs: 80s Looking Car Transformers: Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Sep 29, 2012.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

I have a special project in the works, and wanted to find a suitably 1980s looking base car TF (postG1, with reasonably good articulation) that I could use.

I'm aiming for that angular, 2-door look alot of cars had back then. It's funny how the toy cars I had as a kid influence what I think = 'cool' in cars today. ;) 

[Update:] Since I couldn't copy image URLs for upload on my iPad, I've done so below from my computer. If anyone has suggestions (even vague ones, on what could be moddeded into what), I'd appreciate the ideas.

I know I'll make a masterpiece version using a MP Sideswipe or Red Alert (they have that excellent angled 80s car look).

However, can anyone suggest a Deluxe or larger sized Car TF with a similar vibe?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. blaynescott

Ebay:
    bump

3. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I'm not entirely sure I get what your asking as you seemed to be asking for what TF mold would work for an 80's based custom then go on to say you'll be using MP Sideswipe.

If you're asking what car body would work on MP Sideswipe, my suggestions are:

1: 1979 Lotus Turbo Esprit - Easily a direct re-shell onto MP Sideswipe or if you like, you could probably re-shell it onto Classics Wheeljeack to make an authentic MP Runabout.
    2: 1974 Detomaso Pantera - One of my all time favorite wedge shaped cars. Probably re-shells onto anything as the cabin is fairly central.
    3: Chrysler Interceptor - What says 80`s like the outrageous concept car used in the movie The Wraith.

Attached Files:

4. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify - I'm looking for a Deluxe sized TF that has an '80s car look for an upcoming custom of mine.

I love the music of Gary Numan - and his album "Telekon" always sounded like a Transformer name to me. Not to mention some 'of his hits in the 1980s were titled "Cars", or "Are Friends Electric". ;) 

I'm going to make a black '80s-style car transformer, and resculpt a N-scale model train person into Gary Numan to accompany his bot-album-car. ^_^

I was hoping to avoid having to do a reshell, but I'm still holding out hope there's a CHUG figure out that that has enough 1980's flair that I could use it instead.

The 2nd part of post dealt with a contingency plan: I'll be making a Masterpiece version of the same character using a MP Sideswipe when it's released, as that's the ideal angular Lamborghini look from the 80s I'm trying to achieve. I'd still love to make some version to go on my Classics/Deluxe scale shelf though.

The carphotos you attached look amazing though. Are there any particular Classics TF bodies that well with reshells? I'm not too familar with scale sizing for model cars - generally, what scale model cars match up with a Deluxe sized car (ex: Classics HotRod or Sunstreaker)?

Attached Files:

5. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Gottcha.

I'd say the best mold that's been released with such a look is the Classics Rodimus:
    [​IMG]

It even looks like a lovechild of the Pantera and other super cars. Given the Transformation, you'll find that a version using this mold and a later version using the Mp Sideswipe will have distinct similarities due to the transformation.

As for scale, oddly enough, I posted up a scale reference chart last week. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/creative-general-discussion/665042-customs-scale-reference-101-a.html

In the case of the Classics Rodimus, he'd be 1/32 scale. (Which is the same as the new MP Sideswipe)

6. blaynescott

Ebay:
    That's great Wikkid. :)  I actually have a Classics Rodimus (from the 'battle in space' I think) enroute from an eBay seller when I was browsing such vehicles last week. I think with the spoiler removed, and some window slats (which, given the transformation, would turn into... knees?) It'd be ideal. Good to know that's the best thing available in that scale.

About your scale-link: What is that device called that had a digital measurement on it? I'd love to buy one for the 3D modeling work I do - incorrect/eyeballed measurements using a clear acrylic ruler have cost me more extra work than I'd care to admit.

7. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Classics Rodimus is a Dome Zero, it's a real car look up 1978 Dome Zero.

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    More 70'sish, but I like Downshift and his mold brothers, very G1'y on a nice modern toy:

[​IMG]