80's Cartoons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Jul 11, 2009.

1. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's when I was a young boy I used to love Transformers cartoons and many others....now when I watch cartoons they don't give me the same feelings when I had when I was young. I watched Animated and it was good and all but I didn't feel it as much as I did when I watched G1 as a kid. Not just Transformers cartoons but other also. Do you guys think cartoons now a day is not as good as the 80's or am I'm getting to old for cartoons?

2. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    You're getting old. So am I. When we were young G1 was made specificaly for you and me. And we didn't have video games and the internet to influence our preferences. Todays shows have a totally diffrent dinamic.

Plus we only had 5-10 channels to choose from, which meant only a fraction of the ideas out there acctually made it to screen. Today anything can make it to the air, leading the truely good shows getting lost in the shuffle and nothing really given a chance to hit it's stride. If a show isn't an instant hit it gets cut before anyone even knows if the later episodes gained a bigger following.

3. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Kids are easily imprinted. We look back and objectively realize G1 cartoons had tons of flaws (and really wasn't that good) but we totally love it anyway.

Its not about better or worse...it's about adults falling in love with a cartoon less easily.

You could still love a cartoon,it would just have to be better to pass the threshold.

4. ItsStarscream

ItsStarscream ImmortalSeekerGod

You are never too old for cartoons. This is one thing that always gets me. Wheres the book that says that once you reach a certain you must stop liking something? Like what you like and the hell with your age. Sure with age comes the supposed maturity but that doesnt mean you have to sacrifice what you like (cartoons in this instance) in the process. I say be adult where you have to be adult but like what you like. Its as simple as that. Age is only a state of mind with some things.

As for cartoons today? Most really suck IMO. Cartoons in the 80s were more violent sure, but they still had some moral tale to tell but it was more subtle and more intelligent in how it did so IMO. Today everything has been dumbed down to get the point across which kills any entertainment value of said cartoon IMO.

5. b.winn1

b.winn1 Well-Known Member

there was nintendo lol.

6. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I grew up watching cartoons of the 70s 80s and 90s and 80s stands out easily as the 'golden' decade of cartoons. Although if I was alive in the 60s it might be a close contest.

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you are getting to old for cartoons. They still get me somewhat close as they did when I was a kid, and I'm 25.

8. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Oh I hear ya man, really. Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Spiral Zone, Robotech, among several others. Sure made for some damn good times yo! Nowadays we have what?......CRAP!

9. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

don't forget He-man, Voltron and M.A.S.K. I don't think there will ever be cartoons like the 80'

10. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    If I may, here's a short history lesson...

(I'm to lazy to look anything up, so these are "ballpark" facts)

In the 60's and 70's there was a law that prevented cartoons and from doing a whole lot of stuff. For instance, villians could not endanger other living beings or use any sort of realistic weapons. This lead to the Legion Of Supervillians doing a lot of kidnaping. It also lead to Scooby-Doo and creepy old men in masks. The same law prevented cartoons from "advertising" a toy line. Hot Wheels where about to get their own show in the 60's but the idea was scrapped because of this law.

Then, right around 1980, that law was resinded and a new age of cartoons was born. First was GI Joe, which used animation to sell comic books and comic books to sell toys. A brilliant idea, if you ask me. The animation was a hit and 2 mini-series where commissioned for TV.

Then came He-Man, the real game-changer. Instead of selling the show to a network for Saturday morning viewing, and eventually weekday afternoon syndication, they made 60 (!) season one episodes, sold them directly to local network affiliates and went straight to syndication. It ticked off the networks, but payed off. The GI Joe mini's where so well received they got their own series and so did...Go-bots. Then came Transformers. Then a slew of others.

Skip ahead to 1987. A little show called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arrives and kills all of the shows we had come to love. I give them a pass, though, because it was another great show and truthfully most of the older shows had lost big chunks of their audience.

In the early 90's two more game-changers arrived. The first was Power Rangers. Dirt cheap reels of footage you could cut and paste as much as you wanted so you only need to film 1/3 of the show. Another brilliant move, but they were killing cartoons so I hated them.

The second was Batman:TAS. That gave us mature writing, plot devices with real consequences, dark undertones, and strict adherance to continuity and consistency. It also gave birth to another wave of great, mostly comic book based shows. It also paved the way for Beast Wars.

That brings me to the birth of Cartoon Network and, well, see my above post for my feelings on that.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Each decade has some really great shows though this decade is probably the worst for cartoons. The 80s and the 90s were both awesome.This decade has given us the new He-Man show and also......well I think that may be it.

80s-GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, Dungeons and Dragons, TMNT, Thudercats, Visionaries, Voltron, and MASK

90s-Spiderman, X-Men, Batman TAS, and Beast Wars.

00s-He-Man, maybe Clone Wars?

I think the 80s win based off my favorites anyway.

12. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Justice League. And JL Unlimited. I guess it's technically the same show but needs to be on the 00's list. And the new TMNT, waaay better than the first, especially if you're a fan of the early comics.

Oh and Avatar.

13. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    You sure arent a history major!!! haha

He-Man came before GI Joe and was the one that broke the mold in the 80s. It happened to really be the first to venture into 'syndication' and came long at the same time that Mark Fowler and the FCC relaxed their standards. Although 80s cartoons were still never allowed to let a human character get killed etc...

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    a lot of cartoons this decade suck, aside from some of the really great cartoon network and nickelodeon shows. I love spongebob, chowder, flapjack, and a few others. but then again, CN is canning chowder and flapjack, so... yeah. that sucks. CN kills everything good.

no care is put into most cartoons now. this morning I wandered across something on CBS called dino squad? teenagers who turn into dinosaurs? of course, DiC, one of the worst animation companies in the world made it. it made by head hurt. how any kid could like that is beyond my understanding.

15. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd chalk up the increase in bad-quality cartoons to the fact we have more TV/cable networks that are dedicated to children's programming. The need to fill more airtime simply means a bigger chance that more lackluster animated programs get broadcast.

But how much of this is because we're watching (and analyzing) these current cartoons with a mindset that's very different from the way we looked at the world when we were children?

You can find on TFW posts by members who, while loving G1, would also freely admit the Sunbow cartoon had a lot of production errors, or followed the same "villain/evil plan of the week" formula practically every cartoon of that period used, and is still being used in current programming.

Speaking for myself, I was raised on '80s programming. But admittedly a lot of my love for these old cartoons is nostalgia. Which got hammered after I watched DVDs of these old shows. The disbelief and realization that my memories glossed over the many flaws these shows always had left my inner child :( 

Sure, you can make a case that current children's animation is inferior to what children 20 years ago grew up watching. I'm sure the children of 20 years ago had parents who thought the cartoons their kids watched were meh as entertainment, but watched them anyway to bond with their kids. And the children watching the shows you consider crap will, when they have kids, be ranting about how their children don't have any good cartoons to watch.

16. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    The GI Joe comic commercials were first aired in 1982. In 1983 He-man debued and the Joes got their first mini-series ARAH. But the joes where first to the animated air waves.

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your post is exactly right, the shows were written for kids and were supposed to be this all-out action blast designed to also tell toys. As a 6 year old, that's the coolest thing ever, and we still love it and the characters today because of the nostalgia and the impact it had on us, but as far as holding them up to standards someone in their 20s-30s would watch, it ain't there. just enjoy it for what it is, a good cartoon. Don't look too much into the writing and logic, or you'll be disappointed

18. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Sorry I dont count comic commericals or specials. He-Man is the one that broke the mold!!

19. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let's not forget Gargoyles

20. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I agree, He-man did break the mold, that's why I called it "the real game-changer". But since the GI Joe commericals came first I think they were the first to test the waters of the new, more relaxed, FCC regulations. That's why I included them in my "lesson".